Pepms: introduction and brief AD and tapering history

Pepms

Hi! 
I took lexapro 20mg for around 8 years (2013-2021) for anxiety and obsessive behavior

On October 2021 I decided to get off it as I have been taking it for many years, I went with my doctor and as liquid is not available in my country gave me a plan to alternate doses so I started taking 20-15 for a week then 20-15-15 the next and so on until I was on 15, then 15-10 and so on

It was until march 2022 that I took my last 5mg dose so it was a 5 month taper

withdrawal symptoms went well in that time aside from the mood changes and irritability

about 2 months from my last dose I started with paresthesias in legs, Sting like sensations that eventually turned to burning sensations in arms and legs, some days it’s pins and needles in one foot, and some days the other foot, this has been going on for a month now

had blood tests and nerve conduction studies that all came back normal, currently neurologist started me on Lyrica 25mg twice a day to see if I get relief from the paresthesias

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

10-21 started lexapro tapering

3-22 lexapro free
5-22 started to get paresthesia all over body mainly in legs , numbness, tingling, stinging sensations 

6-22 neurologist started me on Lyrica 25mg twice a day to see if it helps with the paresthesia, got a nerve conduction test which was negative

6-22 neurologist suggested quitting lyrica as it isnt seem to be helping, and reinstating 5mg lexapro to see if it helps with the symptoms, thinking of starting lower at 2.5mg

6-13-22 stopped lyrica by doctor order (only took it 4 days )

6-14-22 reinstated 2.5mg lexapro

6-15-22 neurologist added 10mg amitriptyline to try and help with paresthesia sensory symptoms

6-22-22 updose to 5mg lexapro (bad reaction, paresthesia got worse, back to 2.5mg next day)

6-27-22 went to see a new internal doctor, per symptoms (lack of appetite that had been going on for almost a month, the paresthesia, and gi problems), told me to suspend everything i was taking and take new low dose combination drug (Adepsique) 5mg amitriptyline/ 1.5mg Diazepam / 1mg Perphenazine and 40mg Propranolol for daytime sinus tachycardia

• ChessieCat changed the title to Pepms: introduction and brief AD and tapering history

Is 3 months too long to try reinstating ? My last dose was 5mg every 3 days @getofflex sorry for tagging you I just don’t want to waste more time if there is a chance reinstating will help with my paresthesia symptoms 😁

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free
5-22 started to get paresthesia all over body mainly in legs , numbness, tingling, stinging sensations 

6-22 neurologist started me on Lyrica 25mg twice a day to see if it helps with the paresthesia, got a nerve conduction test which was negative

6-22 neurologist suggested quitting lyrica as it isnt seem to be helping, and reinstating 5mg lexapro to see if it helps with the symptoms, thinking of starting lower at 2.5mg

6-15-22 neurologist added 10mg amitriptyline to try and help with paresthesia sensory symptoms

6-22-22 updose to 5mg lexapro (bad reaction, paresthesia got worse, back to 2.5mg next day)

6-27-22 went to see a new internal doctor, per symptoms (lack of appetite that had been going on for almost a month, the paresthesia, and gi problems), told me to suspend everything i was taking and take new low dose combination drug (Adepsique) 5mg amitriptyline/ 1.5mg Diazepam / 1mg Perphenazine and 40mg Propranolol for daytime sinus tachycardia

Is 3 months too long to try reinstating ? My last dose was 5mg every 3 days, I just don’t want to waste more time if there is a chance reinstating will help with my paresthesia symptoms, I feel lost and don’t know what to do 

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

Can anyone help me with the reinstating question? Neurologist put me on lyrica 25mg twice a day to see if it helps with the paresthesia, I’m just worried that after 3 months from last lexapro dose I lose my window for reinstating and slow tapering from there

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

Hi! Is there a post or does anyone know how can i reinstate low dose lexapro ? There is no 

liquid version in my country and lowest pill is 10mg, can it be dissolved in water ?

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

So I reinstated today with a 2.5mg dose of lexapro, 6 hours later so far all ok !

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

Welcome, @Pepms

You reinstated 2.5mg Lexapro today? How do you feel?

We very much do not recommend skipping doses to taper, we've seen it causes terrible withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata! yes i know, i wish i knew about this amazing forum before started my taper, i went with psychiatrist and thats the plan she gave me, it was a 5 month taper based in alternating doses, as my introduction says, 2 months after last dose i started to get paresthesias all over body, mailny in legs, sometimes its like a small area mild burning, sometimes its like numbness, but the most disturbing times is when i get a "sting" somewhere it can be abdomen, chest, legs, soles, its like a bee stinged me but i cant find anything, did you experience something related? do you think it can be related to WD, of course my doctors both psych and pcp said that 2 months was too long for it to be related, but after what ive read here im very sure its possible.

i went to the neurologist not knowing what it was and got blood tests and metabolic, which all came back perfect, then got a Nerve Conduction Study in the legs, came all good so Neuro. discarded a couple of things, and put me on lyrica 25mg twice a day, told me to call him after 4 days, so 4 days later no improvement and i asked him if maybe i should try reinstating Lexapro, he was like ok quit lyrica and try 5mg, again i was scared and only took a 2.5mg this morning, its been around 10 hours since that dose and i havent got any issues, of course i still have my symptoms but i know its too early to see any improvement. There is no liquid form of escitalopram or citalopram in my country so i took a 10mg pill and cut it in 4, maybe if it goes well i could try making my own liquid.

Thanks a lot!!!

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

I forgot to mention that 3 weeks after the paresthesia started and before starting Lyrica, i got a whole weekend that i couldn't get off the couch, extreme fatigue, and loss of apetite, now i dont feel the fatigue but have been around 1.5 weeks that apetite has not returned, do you think it could also be related? i have an appointment with PCP tomorrow to try and rule out other GI issues.

Thanks!

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

You just went off Lyrica as well? It will take at least a week to see the effect of these drug changes. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Lyrica I had only been taking for 4 days, and it was the "starting" dose of 25mg twice a day, so i guess doctor thought it didnt needed any tapering.

I will be updating! thanks a lot!

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

so around 12 hours of first 2.5mg dose and feeling agitated, its been so long, i dont remember if this was normal when i first started lexapro

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

I’ve been experiencing loss of apetite for two weeks now, did someone also went through that ?

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

Loss of appetite is typical of upset from going on and off psychiatric drugs.

Thanks Alto!

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

Today i updosed lexapro reinstatement to 5mg, let’s see if helps with the loss of hunger, tachycardia and paresthesias that I’ve been having 

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator
On 6/14/2022 at 4:57 PM, Pepms said:

so around 12 hours of first 2.5mg dose and feeling agitated

Did this feeling of agitation after a dose go away?

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Did this feeling of agitation after a dose go away?

Yes it did, it was only that day and maybe coffee had to do with it , haven’t had it since, thanks !!

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing.

Just now, Altostrata said:

I will, updosed today to 5mg so dar nothing to report , all good , I will be updating if I see any changes , thanks !!!

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Got mild increase in the paresthesias with the 5mg updose, should i hold it  (maybe it was because of the change?) or should i better just keep at 2.5mg? 

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

Generally, we urge people to be cautious about updosing. We would not have advised you to do it.

Just now, Altostrata said:

Generally, we urge people to be cautious about updosing. We would not have advised you to do it.

I know I screwed up, I’m going back to 2.5mg and holding it for a while !

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• 2 weeks later...

How are now? I have central nerve pain from an old spinal cord injury & it’s definitely gotten worse since trying to get off Lex. Looking back, I had very little while on it. Things docs don’t tell you! Hope you’re feeling better. I’d hold at 2.5 for longer like Alto said. Give it a month at least.

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 10:03 PM, Dee12h said:

How are now? I have central nerve pain from an old spinal cord injury & it’s definitely gotten worse since trying to get off Lex. Looking back, I had very little while on it. Things docs don’t tell you! Hope you’re feeling better. I’d hold at 2.5 for longer like Alto said. Give it a month at least.

Unfortunately i stopped , it was mildly helping the electric sensations or paresthesia but doing nothing against general low mood health anxiety and depression, I went to new med who placed me in a low dose combination drug , it has definitely been better but now the paresthesia returned 

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

So, after my new med things got a lot better I could get off bed, apetite started returning and I was no longer spiraling in anxiety that I might have an underlying medical condition , however I got a flu and took cetirizine and acetylcisteine for a couple of days , I don’t know if it was coincidental because I wasn’t keeping track of symptoms but I also had maybe 3 or 4 days of no weird sensations on my body, however 2-3 days ago paresthesia started returning , I don’t know if the Zyrtec was maybe helping, can any mod help me decide if maybe I should resume it to see if it helps with the sensory issues , They are not allergy like sensations, they don’t itch they feel like sudden sting or pin prick randomly through body 

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

Good to hear you're feeling better @Pepms

As you're under medical care and have added drugs -- (Adepsique) 5mg amitriptyline/ 1.5mg Diazepam / 1mg Perphenazine and 40mg Propranolol, containing a benzodiazpine, diazepam, and an antidepressant amitriptyline  -- I don't think we can help you at this time. Please talk to your doctor about any other symptoms or adverse effects from your drugs.

People often find benzodiazepines to be helpful for withdrawal syndrome, but taking them regularly also brings on the physiological dependency leading to withdrawal symptoms, as does amitriptyline, an antidepressant. Please let us know when you need help tapering Adepsique or other psychiatric drug.

Thanks, i do hope that this is just a temporary drug, i dont plan to keep in it i just hope it helps in my withdrawal acute symptoms a little and i plan to take it maybe just for a month, if doctor is ok with it and then taper it , I will keep updating !

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

Even though this has helped with hunger and lifted my mood, I still feel im in Lexapro withdrawal so i have to still cope with that

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

3-22 lexapro free

• Administrator

You have introduced 3 new psychiatric drugs, plus propanolol. We cannot help you with what may be adverse drug effects from your new cocktail.