Fernando: only one session with psychiatrist and prescribed Zoloft

Fernando

I am depressed, I have trouble sleeping, cant concentrate find hard to have a libido, gained a lot of weight in the past 3 years.
I had just one session with a psychiatrist and with no exams and just a 30 minutes talk he prescribed me Zoloft.

is this normal?
I am asking because i was expecting some exams, more sessions and so on..

Should I have gone to the psychologist first?
Is Zoloft to heavy to start with?
I am so afraid of getting more weight should I ask to try to start with other like wellbutrin or effexort, lexapro?

I am from Poland, dont know if there is different drugs in europe, if anyone has any topic about it i would love to read it.

I am so afraid.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Fernando: only one session with psychiatrist and prescribed Zoloft
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Fernando

This is a site for going off drugs, we don't advise people about going on drugs. However, if you don't trust this diagnosis or prescription, I would look for non-drug ways to cope. There is no free lunch with psychiatric drugs. You are not required to take them. Look around the Introductions forum to see others' experiences.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Fernando I’m just weighing in that I gained at least 30 lbs, maybe 40, on Sertraline (the generic Zoloft), and I was on it less than 4 months. I was eating enough to gain that much weight, but that’s because I was starving all the time on the drug. I would eat lunch, clean everything up, sit down, and be as hungry as if I hadn’t eaten all day just ten minutes after finishing lunch. I do not think this is common, but there was nothing else that changed in my life that could have caused that excessive hunger.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

@Fernando

Three years is a long time to struggle in the way you describe. I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

Did you already start the Zoloft? Or are you wondering about whether or not you should start?

If you are not currently taking a psychiatric drug, in my opinion you are very lucky. 

I wish I had never started psychiatric medication. If I could do it over I would never touch psych drugs ever, not in my life. They are not worth it, the risks and harmful effects far outweigh any possible benefits. 

On 6/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, Fernando said:

I am depressed, I have trouble sleeping, cant concentrate find hard to have a libido, gained a lot of weight in the past 3 years.

I was on antidepressants for many, many years. They caused depression, low libido, weight gain (among many other undesirable effects). 

Psychotherapy, functional nutrition, exercise, lifestyle changes, non-drug coping skills, good sleep habits -- all of these non-drug interventions can be very powerful in helping us feel better and learn how to live a more balanced, meaningful life. 

If I were you I would try to find a qualified, trustworthy psychologist/therapist for professional counseling and support. If you can find someone who has a holistic, non-psychiatric approach, that would be even better.

In my opinion it's worth it to try non-drug interventions for at least 6 months before considering medication. 

It's up to you. Only you know what it's like to be in your body and go through what you're going through. 

I wish you to take very good care of yourself and receive the support you need to get through this difficult period in your life. 

In solidarity and support,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice.