AmberAndy: Tapered off Lexapro, only to start it again!

AmberAndy

Hey guys! Last year I tapered slowly down from 20 mg of Lexapro, to 2.5 mg. Then my doctor took me off it cold turkey. I had THE WORST withdrawal symptoms. Headache, nausea, dizziness, brain zaps, brain fog, rebound anxiety and depression. Most all the symptoms went away within the first couple weeks. But the brain zaps lasted for almost 2 months. Then the withdrawals went away, and luckily They never came back. I didn't have too much of the "waves and windows". While I was on it I dealt with brain fog and lack of emotion. It was doable, and totally manageable because I was finally FUNCTIONAL. My life had been better, and moods much more stable. 

Well recently I have been through some traumatizing events, the loss of a pregnancy, I also nearly lost my life as well. I am going through postpartum depression, but without the joy of having my baby. I now have PTSD from the whole experience. And besides that, a whole host of other things medically have just ruined me. I can no longer leave my house. I cry non-stop. I can't control my panic attacks, so I've now been put on Valium at night and Ativan during the day. Otherwise I am a total panic mess. I have had intrusive thoughts of suicide, and it has all become too much. I asked my doctor if I could get back on the Lexapro for a while until I become more stable, totally understanding that the taper and withdrawals are going to be rough. At least I know what to expect this time. So I'll be starting 5 mg of Lexapro tomorrow, and gradually increasing to 10 if needed.

I'm just curious. How many of you have gotten off Lexapro successfully, then had to go back on it again at a later date? How was your experience?

• ChessieCat changed the title to AmberAndy: Tapered off Lexapro, only to start it again!
  • Administrator

Welcome, @AmberAndy

This is a site for going off drugs, we don't advise people about going on drugs. However, it is understandable that you are grieving. if you don't trust this diagnosis or prescription, I would look for non-drug ways to cope. You are not required to take psychiatric drugs. There is no free lunch -- as you know very well.

Further, your anxiety and panic may be an aftereffect of your medical treatment or even caused by the benzos, from interdose withdrawal or paradoxical reaction. If your prescriber doesn't know what this is, you need a different doctor.

Look around the Introductions forum to see others' experiences with going off Lexapro (aka escitalopram).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.