SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 September ×

Alyssak: Abilify taper

Alyssak

I am currently tapering abilify 4 mg with guidance by my psychiatrist. my psychiatrist advised to reduce to 2mg and to stay there until august 2022. And then after that we will cut that pill in half for one month. And then in September take that remaining half for another month. Reducing to 2mg from 4 has been ok but I do feel anxiety, my obsessive thinking is nonstop but it’s not too much for me to handle, I also feel depressed. I would do nothing all day but lay in bed if I could. I feel very scared about tapering. I’ve tried tapering on my own foolishly once before and it was a disaster. The reason I want to come off of abilify is because we learned that antipsychotics have caused me to develop overactive bladder or urinary urge incontinence and my quality of life is poor. Praying that once off the medications that this side effect of urinary urge incontinence is no longer present.

my current medications:

anafranil 25 mg once daily

abilify 2mg once daily ( originally 2 mg twice daily)

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

abilify 2.5 mg currently once daily

anafranil 25mg one tablet daily 01/2022 to current

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alyssak: Abilify taper
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Alyssak

On 6/17/2022 at 6:37 AM, Alyssak said:

Reducing to 2mg from 4 has been ok but I do feel anxiety, my obsessive thinking is nonstop but it’s not too much for me to handle, I also feel depressed.

It sounds like you got withdrawal symptoms from this reduction. If I were you, I'd put the dose up a little to 2.5mg. This probably would stop the withdrawal symptoms.

We recommend a much more gradual taper, see Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

For what reason are you taking Ability?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have increased to 2.5 for the next 30 days.

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature as requested above.  Thank you.  We need to be able to see your drug history and dates and doses at a glance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Please create your drug history signature and let us know know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I am currently on 2.5mg , reduced from 4mg . I’m doing ok, I have increased anxiety in the morning but this is normal for me. Nothing I can’t handle. 

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

• Administrator

Did you feel any change from the updose to 2.5mg last Monday?

The anxiety I was feeling has calmed down since increasing to 2.5. Thank God! So I feel comfortable continuing this dose for three more weeks.

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

• Administrator

If the updose relieved symptoms, that suggest those were withdrawal symptoms.

Ok thank you for confirming. I will stay at this dose for 2-3 weeks.

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

• 1 month later...

Abilify taper

I took my last 1mg tablet of abilify on august 14. Sixteen days later and  I’m having severe anxiety in the morning hours. Once the afternoon rolls around I calm down and go about my day but the morning hours are awful. How can this be since I tapered so well? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

• Administrator

Hello, @Alyssak

If you were taking 4mg Abilify, then reduced to 2.5mg, then 1mg, then zero on August 14, we would consider that to be a rapid taper likely to result in withdrawal symptoms. You quit cold turkey off 1/4 of your initial dosage.

Suggest you reinstate 0.5mg, stabilize for a month or more, than taper more gradually according to Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

I understand but my psychiatrist will not prescribe the liquid abilify. Basically saying there’s no way I could be having withdrawal at this minimal dose and that it’s reoccurrence of symptoms. What am I going to do? I’m suffering so much and I’m really scared

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

I’m desperate. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to put myself in danger. I don’t know if I should go back on the medication until I find a new doctor ? Or just keep going. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don’t.

Abilify 4mg 03/14/2022 

reduced 2.5mg 06/15/22

I'd try to get a new doctor. This one sounds very insensitive.

Ativan 2004 - 2016. 20 month taper. Benzo free. 

Originally Prozac, on to Zoloft 100 mg, 2004 to present.

Gabapentin 100 - 200 as needed 2014 to present.

Aripiprazole: 2 months at 1.25, 4 months at 2 mg. Tried to stop 4 times over last 3 months. spent time at 1 mg. Currently at .5 mg. (Splitting 2 mg pill into quarters)

• Administrator

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs. Do you have a good relationship with your GP?

There is no reason to keep that psychiatrist on your payroll.