UncleRay: Lexapro too fast taper

UncleRay

First post here and found this site the hard way.  Apparently going from 10 to 5mg Lexapro was a bad idea.  I did this once before and didn't have any issues but this time was much worse.  Is this typical?  Today is 5 weeks since dropping and struggling with lots of symptoms like derealization, depression, nausea, anxiety, brain fog, vivid dreams, etc.  Not sure if I should try and tough it out or reinstate to some level.  I'm on generic escitalopram and the pills don't split real clean.  I can get them in half okay but would be worried trying to get them in quarters if I were to bump up to 7.5mg or something else.  Any advice??

12-18-20 started 10mg Lexapro
8-25-21 stopped after 1 week taper; but no w/d symptoms for over 2 months
11-30-21 started 10mg Lexapro
2-1-22 to 2-9-22 accidental missed doses
5-14-22 dropped from 10 to 5, having wide range of w/d symptoms: very vivid dreams, derealization, anxiety, brain fog, fatigue, nausea, etc. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to UncleRay: Lexapro too fast taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, UncleRay.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Yes, you're correct that going from 10 to 5 mg is likely causing problems. I'm very glad you found this site.

We recommend tapering by no faster than 10% a month, based on the prior month's dose (not the original dose). 

Since it's only been 5 weeks since your reduction, you may want to try for 7 - 8 mg. It sounds like you have the 10 mg pill size, is that correct? If you can get the 5 mg pills, you could take one and a half pills to get to 7.5 mg. 

The easiest way to taper is with liquid and Lexapro does come in liquid in the US, so you may want to ask your doctor for a prescription liquid. Or your can make your own liquid. The instructions for this are in the first post of this thread:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please have a careful read of the first post in the above link. Lexapro is an extremely potent drug, so even at what appears to be a low dose, is still very powerful. 

Please also see these links: 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

Hi Shep,

Thanks for taking the time for the thorough response.  Yes I was on a 10mg dose.  This Saturday will mark 6 weeks since dropping from 10mg to 5mg.  I probably should have reinstated earlier to 7 or 8 like you suggested but I didn't know any better.  I feel like the last two days I have felt some improvement so I'm going to hold at 5mg for now as its easiest to just split the pills in half.   After 3 or 4 months if I feel I'm ready to taper further I will follow the 10% guidance from now on and will either get a liquid script or dissolve my pills.  Weird that I tapered quick once before from 10 to 5 to 0 with only minor symptoms and this time its a much rougher ride.  I guess this is to be expected the more times we mess with our heads the more cranky it gets.  Thanks again!

5-14-22 dropped from 10 to 5, having wide range of w/d symptoms: very vivid dreams, derealization, anxiety, brain fog, fatigue, nausea, etc. 

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, UncleRay said:

Weird that I tapered quick once before from 10 to 5 to 0 with only minor symptoms and this time its a much rougher ride.  I guess this is to be expected the more times we mess with our heads the more cranky it gets. 

I like the way you phrase this - "the more times we mess with our heads the more cranky it gets."

That's a great explanation for kindling, which is trauma to the nervous system from repeated withdrawals. 

So you'll likely want to go slow, perhaps even a microtaper, when you stabilize and continue your taper. 

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

If you find that you're handling a micro-taper without any symptoms, you can always increase up to the 10% rate, but starting lower may be best to test the waters. 

You may want to read over these links as you're holding so you can set up a game plan for when you're ready to taper. 

18 hours ago, UncleRay said:

I feel like the last two days I have felt some improvement so I'm going to hold at 5mg for now as its easiest to just split the pills in half.   After 3 or 4 months if I feel I'm ready to taper further I will follow the 10% guidance from now on and will either get a liquid script or dissolve my pills. 

Please note that SSRIs are notorious for a delayed withdrawal. Some people report not having any withdrawal symptoms for several months after coming off. So if you feel you're getting worse at 5 mg, you may want to quarter your pills and add an estimate of 2.5 mg (for a total of 7.5 mg) until you can get a more reliable way of getting your dose with a liquid prescription or a do-it-yourself liquid. 

Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days. 

Edited by Shep
added information

• 3 weeks later...

Today makes 8 weeks since dropping to 5mg, things seem be SLOWLY improving.  The DP/DR symptoms have settled a good bit.  Going to continue holding here, will check back in after a couple more weeks.