Beee6: Anxiety- is it ever worth taking the medication ?

Beee6

Hello, I found this site when I was having trouble withdrawing off the maximum amount of Lyrica (600mg, for pain due to herniated disc) and really appreciated the validation that I wasn't going crazy! I have searched around the site and can't find an answer to this question- is it ever worth taking the medication for anxiety? I have always been very wary of anti-anxiety and anti-depressants, so have/am trying other methods eg exercise and currently reading a book called 'Anxiety rx' written by a doctor but with an alternative/holistic view of anxiety. My husband is on SSRI's for depression and they do seem to help him, and he doesn't care if he's on them forever (he has a trauma history and doesn't have the energy to look into any other ways of dealing with it at the moment) and recently a friend who is a fellow anxiety sufferer and has been equally skeptical about medication started it and is fairly passionate about saying 'I wish I had started this sooner!' In particular says she isn't so overwhelmed by her children so can be more patient with them and actually enjoy life more instead of feeling in stress and fight/flight constantly. I am a highly sensitive introvert, and often feel overwhelmed by my three children, studying, and the general pace and busy-ness of family life. I have anxiety, since forever, no 'big T' trauma, and have tendencies to have a bit of perfectionism in terms of trying to get parenting 'right' and make the 'right' decisions about things (sometimes researching endlessly). It's not super serious- not like I have suicidal thoughts or anything worrying, more that I'm always 'getting through the day' and 'getting through' my childrens' childhoods instead of enjoying it much- just 'getting through life' and not actually enjoying it much. Anyway, my friend has got me wondering about medication again- so many people seem to feel that it helps them (whatever the reason behind it- I don't subscribe to the 'chemical imbalance' theory) So I'm after opinions- is it ever worth it?? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Beee6: Anxiety- is it ever worth taking the medication ?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs. Are you currently on any dose of the Lyrica, or any other psychiatric medications?  

I think it is great that you are carefully researching these drugs.  I want to suggest to you, if you have the time, that you read the book "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker.  In this book, it shows that medication has not been proven to be effective for curing anxiety, or depression.  Studies done on antidepressants have only run for 6 weeks, yet many people are put on them for years, or decades, or a lifetime.  The drug manufacturers make huge amounts of money on these drugs, multiple billions per year.  They cause our nervous systems to become dependent on them, hence this makes them extremely difficult to taper off of for many people.  I just completed a 5 year taper off of Lexapro, and suffered from many symptoms during this time, especially in the first 2-3 years. Here is the link to it on amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452425/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2VWFVCFHUG9VK&keywords=anatomy+of+an+epidemic&qid=1657378103&sprefix=anatomy+of+an+%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-1.     

Here is a video by this same author: 

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video

...and here is a link with blog posts by Robert Whitaker on the Mad in America site: 

Mad in America - Robert Whitaker archives

I'm not familiar with Lyrica, however, I know that there are issues with people who use Lyrica as well, since it also causes brain dependency.  Here is a thread for people who are tapering off of Lyrica: 

Lyrica Survivors Group

Here is a post from Skyler on our forum, where they were struggling to taper of Lyrica, and had withdrawal issues. It took her 2 years to taper off Lyrica.  I'll include her success story, too.

Skyler - Lyrica and Benzos

Skyler Completed Benzo Lyrica Requip Tapers

I hope this information helps you in your research.  If you have any more questions, @MerryJayneFridayis our moderator who specializes in this drug.  

To conclude, there are many non drug ways to resolve and cope with anxiety.  It takes more work, but in the long run, is much more effective and you don't live a life dulled by dependency causing drugs.  CBT and DBT therapy can help, and there are many online resources that can help.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link to our Lyrica survivors' general chat topic: 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26568-fb-lyrica-survivors-general-chat-topic/

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thanks so much for your reply and links getofflex (I won't tag you as you say not to!) I did manage to taper off Lyrica six months ago, thank you for asking. It wasn't pleasant, but I'm feeling fine, back to just regular old anxiety now! I think the Lyrica experience made me both more wary of going on medication, and also gave me an insight into what life was like without anxiety, which was pretty nice! I meant to say I have also read 'Lost Connections' by Johan Hari-  I really am deeply skeptical of medication. What gets me wondering about it is the people I know and their personal stories- their feelings that it has helped them. 

Thanks again for sharing all that info, and congrats on being drug free now! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beee and welcome.

Please create your drug signature following these instructions.  This will show below each post you make and is different from the drug information you provided when you joined.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Beee6 said:

I did manage to taper off Lyrica six months ago, thank you for asking. It wasn't pleasant, but I'm feeling fine, back to just regular old anxiety now!

Congratulations for being Lyrica free - I'm glad you are feeling well now.  Being med free does mean we no longer have that buffer between us and our emotions.  One of the things I've had to learn is to accept than anxiety, depression, anger, sadness, etc, are very normal and natural, and a part of life, as long as they don't dominate my life.  I've had to relearn how to deal with anxiety, and other emotions as I've become med free.  Here are some links to help with anxiety.  

Emotional Spirals

Acknowledge Accept Float

Music to Calm Anxiety

Breathing Technique for Anxiety

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

CBT Course:  An Introductory Self-Help Course in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help ...

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) Female voice - getselfhelp.co.uk

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) Male voice - getselfhelp.co.uk

Meditation