marieautismmom: son with autism terrible withdrawal from Lexapro after less than 2 weeks!

marieautismmom

Hi,

my son with autism wanted to try Lexapro for his "stims" (repetitive behaviors that include being violent and self injury). He didn't feel much so we stopped the 5mg THEN he became psychotic, destroying things, attacking us, hitting his head on the wall, throwing up, etc. it's so bad we just stay in the apt all day. He keeps asking "when will this end?" we had no idea the withdrawal was going to be so bad. His doctor said his dose was so low to just stop -- mistake. It's been almost a month now and he is still violent, throwign up, headache and also says he sees my husband as a "bug" and is zeroing in a lot of his aggression at him. 

Anyone else in this situation? have ideas what we can do to support him? Never again!

(sorry I can't see my signature on here but I made one!)

My 22 year old son with autism - 

2022 June 2 started Lexapro 5 mg; 

2022  June 12  stopped COLD TURKEY

• ChessieCat changed the title to marieautismmom: son with autism terrible withdrawal from Lexapro after less than 2 weeks!

want to add that I have seen that brain "zaps" generally resolved in a month but we are past a month and they are still very bad - we give him fish oil but have to be careful b/c he is also nauseous! any advice how to help that would be great as he pounds things (including people, including himself) when he feels a zap

• Administrator

Welcome, @marieautismmom

I am sorry your son is having such a difficult time. We do see people getting withdrawal symptoms from going off 5mg. He may be feeling a lot of strange, unpleasant internal feelings that are withdrawal symptoms.

What we have seen is that reinstating a low dose of the drug, such as 1mg to start, often helps. Often this low dose is all that's needed. Escitalopram is available in a prescription liquid to enable titration. Your son would stabilize on this for some months and then taper off by tiny amounts. 

For background: 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you so much -- he seems to have turned a corner so hopefully it will keep going like this. THe videos were SUPER helpful tos how him