IronHamMk76: rapid taper off Elavil after 7 years polydrugging - next steps?

IronHamMk76

• Administrator

Not surprising you feel the effects of 0.25mg clonazepam shortly after taking it in the morning. Otherwise, it appears your symptoms are stable, some indications the morning clonazepam has reduced interdose withdrawal in the afternoon.

The cog-fog may be an adverse effect of 1mg clonazepam per day for 7 years.

Your gastrointestinal problems may be from histamine intolerance rather than withdrawal. Are you on an exclusion diet or histamine intolerance diet? If not, suggest you start. You would not want to reinstate amitriptyline if the symptoms are from something other than withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Not surprising you feel the effects of 0.25mg clonazepam shortly after taking it in the morning. Otherwise, it appears your symptoms are stable, some indications the morning clonazepam has reduced interdose withdrawal in the afternoon.

The cog-fog may be an adverse effect of 1mg clonazepam per day for 7 years.

Your gastrointestinal problems may be from histamine intolerance rather than withdrawal. Are you on an exclusion diet or histamine intolerance diet? If not, suggest you start. You would not want to reinstate amitriptyline if the symptoms are from something other than withdrawal.

Hello @Altostrata

I have been attempting to follow a low histamine diet since 7/5/2022. The problem is that I am having gastrointestinal issues even with low histamine foods.

I have a number of seasonal allergies, such as ragweed and various types of trees, and now that the Elavil is gone, I'm experiencing reactions to foods that are similar in nature (for example, ragweed allergy = reaction to zucchini).

https://acaai.org/allergies/allergic-conditions/food/pollen-food-allergy-syndrome/

Even cooking does not help. My hope was that reinstatement would alleviate these issues. I don't remember having such strong food reactions in the past.

Also, I have eliminated the Big 8 food allergens.

• Sept 2015 - September 2021: Zoloft, trazadone, Vistaril, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, lithium, Pristiq, Vistaril, Abilify, Doxepin, Seroquel, Klonopin. Many rapid tapers and c/t's. Intro has full details.

• By end August 2021 - end September 2021: Stopped Seroquel and Pristiq, started Elavil 25mg up to 50mg. Continue Klonopin 1mg.

• March 2022 - May 2022: Rapid taper of Elavil (50% reductions biweekly). Continuing with Klonopin 1mg.

• Other current medications: Asmanex 200mcg 2 puffs at night (dx'd with asthma July 2015); began 60mg children's liquid Allegra BID 7/21/22 --> discontinued Allegra 8/7/22 due to adverse reactions (burning mouth, burning/itching skin, chest tightness, increased GI distress)

• Vitamins/Supplements: None

• Diet: started low-histamine diet 7/5/22

• Administrator

Sorry, we do not have the expertise to advise you on your gastrointestinal issues or allergies. If you can't unravel your symptom pattern, amitriptyline reinstatement would be a shot in the dark. I have no idea what it would do.

fyi rabbit allergy https://bunnylady.com/rabbit-allergies/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@IronHamMk76

Thinking nice thoughts in your direction <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 3 weeks later...

@IronHamMk76

A few months ago I was having crazy reactions to everything. Even a glass of water that was too warm or too cold would set off a reaction. I went down the road of being tested for Mast Cell Disorders and all was negative. Turns out I have Gut Dysbiosis and a Diamine Oxidase Deficiency both of which can be caused by the medications and both contribute to Histamine Intolerance symptoms. These can take a long time to correct themselves. Here are 2 websites for you that discuss histamine issues. One is a website for mast cell patients. It's unlikely you have a mast cell disorder but these web pages talk about what you can do to help yourself feel better. Mast cell patients produce too much histamine among other chemicals so have to deal with similar issues. In my case and most likely your case it is a sensitivity to normal histamine levels coupled with an oversensitive nervous system that seems to cause the reactions. This is of course a theory but I have had extensive testing done to rule out everything else. If you wanted to test things you could ask your doctor for a 24 hour urine for histamine levels. If it is normal then you have an intolerance. If it is high then further testing would be needed. When I started I had to cut my diet back to scrambled eggs, asparagus, chicken, and potato. Nothing too hot or too cold and I had to eat very slowly. I have slowly begun to build back up from there. A couple of months ago I had a nasty reaction to beets. Weird. I have for now eliminated dairy, gluten, and anything artificial. Whole foods only. I now have added back in broccoli, kale, turnips, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, apples, pears, unsweetened applesauce, crushed ginger, unsweetened apple juice, unsweetened cranberry juice, lemon juice, blueberries, black berries, salmon, cod, olive oil, salt, psylium fiber husk, and pistachios. I could probably add more but I am going very slowly so as not to upset the apple cart and set myself back. There are nutritionists out there that specialize in histamine related issues so you may want to seek one out if you have the resources to do so.

https://drbeckycampbell.com/

https://mastcell360.com/

Here are links to holistic nutritionists in your area.

https://www.healthprofs.com/us/nutritionists-dietitians/holistic-nutritionist/ga/atlanta

https://nutritionallyyours.net/holistic-nutritionist-atlanta/

Beware of any that want to sell you lots of supplements. The one I used was very big on food as medicine before supplementation.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

@IronHamMk76 I should also add in that I have fresh oregano, basil, and rosemary with each meal for seasoning as well as to help with gut restoration. My next steps will be adding in as many pre-biotic foods as possible to help restore my gut microbiome.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907