JimmyB: any help would be awesome

JimmyB

I'm weaning off cymbalta I've only been on it for about a month as it gave me a cough and severe chest tightness as well as neuropathy in my feet. Due to these effects I've weaned rather quickly about 2 months and today is my first day off completely after a week at 10ml I would've gone longer but the chest tightness was too much to bear. Anxiety is for sure picking up and I'm using .25 Xanax as needed which is less than 1 time a day since I try to fight my anxiety as much as possible. Any advice?

• ChessieCat changed the title to JimmyB: any help would be awesome

@JimmyB

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are not healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature.

How to List Drug History in Signature

I'm very sorry you went through that with Cymbalta and you had to rapid taper off. 

This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Here are some non-drug coping techniques that may help:

The FASTEST Way to Stop a Panic Attack - Dr. Berg

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety, or sensory overload from withdrawal

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

You are on 0.25 mg Xanax a day? You need to take this consistently because your body becomes dependent on a benzo within two weeks. Also, Xanax only stays in your system 6-12 hours, so you may wish to split this dose into 3 equal parts and take it every 6-8 hours so you don't experience wd symptoms from this.

I know you don't wish to reinstate at this time because of the symptoms you had. But if you do change your mind here is some information if you reconsider.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

We don't suggest supplements because they can be very stimulating to the central nervous system (CNS) but 2 that have helped members on here. If you want to try one, try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.