Wanting to start program that pressures medical system to warn about sexual dysfunction

labrat15

I want to start a program that pressures the medical community into warning patients about sexual dysfunction associated with antidepressants. I cannot believe that these guys are able to legally prescribe these medications without warning about the high potential for developing sexual dysfunction. The fact that this has gone on for decades is unacceptable and I am at the point where taking action is the only option. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this done that would be greatly appreciated. I have thought about this for the last year and I am willing to cover the costs associated with pursuing this. I have inherited 15 000 000 and I am willing spend whatever is necessary to get this done. These guys need to pay and it is time someone bucks up and pursues this and I am more than happy to be the one who does it. Lets just say, I am not going to die without pursuing this to my fullest capabilities. It has given me a reason to keep going until I hold the people responsible for what they have done. I am loaded up and pissed.  

Lexapro 20 mg 2015-2020. Tapered down and currently at 5 mg 

Wellbutrin 2019 for 3 months. Tapered off completely

Mirtazapine 30 mg 2019-2021. Tapered off completely

Rexulti 0.5 mg 2020-2021 Tapered down to 0.25 mg

Viibryd 2021 Tapered off completely

Don't mean to talk about money but I can use what I have to hold these guys accountable.

Lexapro 20 mg 2015-2020. Tapered down and currently at 5 mg 

Wellbutrin 2019 for 3 months. Tapered off completely

Mirtazapine 30 mg 2019-2021. Tapered off completely

Rexulti 0.5 mg 2020-2021 Tapered down to 0.25 mg

Viibryd 2021 Tapered off completely

Hello @labrat15

Have you considered making a donation to SurvivingAntidepressants? 

This site has helped and continues to help so many of us, including you and me. 

SA is not only a peer support forum, staffed by unpaid volunteers, founded and run out of pocket by Altostrata.

It's also a research project providing crucial longitudinal data and case studies for vital scientific work aimed at educating the medical community and public as to the reality of taking prescribed psychiatric drugs, incl. the lived experience of those who suffer serious, chronic iatrogenic harm as a consequence. 

See SA's mission statement here

If I were you and had similar means at my disposal, I would make a significant donation to SA: 

Donations gratefully accepted

Best wishes to you on your continuous healing journey,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 1 year later...

Hey @labrat15 do you have any progress with the program? Doctors don't even understand the sexual impairment these drugs can cause, they don't simply affect your libido, they make your genitals look completely different - shrunken, soft, thin etc by disrupting the serotonin-mediated release of nitric oxide which regulates the blood flow and the smooth muscles contractions in the genital area. And sometimes the effects persist or worsen even after withdrawal and doctors don't believe it's because of the drug they prescribed, they think it's psychological but how your mental issues can make your genitals appear completely different than in a normal healthy person? Taking these drugs is literally agreeing to be a laboratory rat, but unfortunately the medical community doesn't even consider the damage they can cause.

Venlafaxine 75mg, 150mg, 225mg December 2020 - March 2021

Sertraline 50mg, 100mg March 2021 - April 2021

Escitalopram 10mg, 20 mg April 2021 - May 2021

• Mentor
On 9/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, Fairsome said:

disrupting the serotonin-mediated release of nitric oxide which regulates the blood flow

hi @Fairsome I'm very interested in where you found this information about serotonin and nitric oxide - I first learned about nitric oxide when trying to figure out the heathiest diet for me and ran across Dr Caldwell Esselstyn's work with heart patients

I hadn't heard about a link to serotonin, do you recall where you learned this?

On 9/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, Fairsome said:

Taking these drugs is literally agreeing to be a laboratory rat, but unfortunately the medical community doesn't even consider the damage they can cause.

oh I think they "consider it" but decide on their own,  without patient input that the benefits outweigh the risks.... 

for virtually all drugs that come on the market as well as many procedures too, we are all lab rats, because the way the FDA is set up and due to how little needs to be done in terms of clinical trials, in order to get their approval

drs KNOW that SSRIs cause sexual problems, this became clear very early on and prison systems started using these drugs on pedophile and other sex offenders to dampen their urges. If it caused permanent damage to that population that might have been seen as a bonus.

it's  hard to believe that at some point drs didn't catch on that there were problems with these medications

there is a long history of serious issues with very profitable things being "overlooked" or swept under the rug or outright denied and with great force and political power

think Big Tobacco, and now, Big Pharma

I don't see this ever changing as long as profit is still the driving force in health care

It should be HEALTH CARE, helping people stay or become healthy or healthier, that is the goal but since profit is involved, there is no money to be made in keeping people healthy nor curing them.

instead diseases are deemed chronic, needing life time "management" and expensive care in the form of drugs procedures tests and dr visits

and this system is bankrupting us

while the population gets sicker and sicker 

sorry that's my morning rant!

I was just pressured into having a whole host of expensive testing done and with such urgency, as if something awful would happen to me if I didn't rush off to get these tests done

I have learned from years of dealing with similar tactics from animal drs, to ask simple questions such as how will this test change the treatment plan? what is the benefit to my pet? 

and in only one case, the answer was always that it would NOT change what we did... not at all. it would not change the outcome for my pet

so I asked how doing all these MRIs with contrast so problematic I'd need to have kidney function tests first, how would that change what I needed to do? and guess what- it would make NO difference in my treatment or the actions I need to take for the condition I have (which virtually EVERYONE over the age of 50 has as well!! so there's a lot of $$ to be made in pushing all those over 50 to get all these expensive  tests.

Those that needed more aggressive treatment were already identified by the very first and least expensive test- a simple ultrasound!!

anyway I don't believe that drs don't know the damage that these drugs are causing, I believe that they choose to stick their heads in the sand.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

38 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

hi @Fairsome I'm very interested in where you found this information about serotonin and nitric oxide - I first learned about nitric oxide when trying to figure out the heathiest diet for me and ran across Dr Caldwell Esselstyn's work with heart patients

I hadn't heard about a link to serotonin, do you recall where you learned this?

oh I think they "consider it" but decide on their own,  without patient input that the benefits outweigh the risks.... 

for virtually all drugs that come on the market as well as many procedures too, we are all lab rats, because the way the FDA is set up and due to how little needs to be done in terms of clinical trials, in order to get their approval

drs KNOW that SSRIs cause sexual problems, this became clear very early on and prison systems started using these drugs on pedophile and other sex offenders to dampen their urges. If it caused permanent damage to that population that might have been seen as a bonus.

it's  hard to believe that at some point drs didn't catch on that there were problems with these medications

there is a long history of serious issues with very profitable things being "overlooked" or swept under the rug or outright denied and with great force and political power

think Big Tobacco, and now, Big Pharma

I don't see this ever changing as long as profit is still the driving force in health care

It should be HEALTH CARE, helping people stay or become healthy or healthier, that is the goal but since profit is involved, there is no money to be made in keeping people healthy nor curing them.

instead diseases are deemed chronic, needing life time "management" and expensive care in the form of drugs procedures tests and dr visits

and this system is bankrupting us

while the population gets sicker and sicker 

sorry that's my morning rant!

I was just pressured into having a whole host of expensive testing done and with such urgency, as if something awful would happen to me if I didn't rush off to get these tests done

I have learned from years of dealing with similar tactics from animal drs, to ask simple questions such as how will this test change the treatment plan? what is the benefit to my pet? 

and in only one case, the answer was always that it would NOT change what we did... not at all. it would not change the outcome for my pet

so I asked how doing all these MRIs with contrast so problematic I'd need to have kidney function tests first, how would that change what I needed to do? and guess what- it would make NO difference in my treatment or the actions I need to take for the condition I have (which virtually EVERYONE over the age of 50 has as well!! so there's a lot of $$ to be made in pushing all those over 50 to get all these expensive  tests.

Those that needed more aggressive treatment were already identified by the very first and least expensive test- a simple ultrasound!!

anyway I don't believe that drs don't know the damage that these drugs are causing, I believe that they choose to stick their heads in the sand.

This is from Wikipedia:

"In normal physiologic states, vasodilation occurs through the serotonin mediated release of nitric oxide from endothelial cells, and the inhibition of release of norepinephrine from adrenergic nerves" 

There are different mechanisms through which SSRIs can induce sexual dysfunction, because some people have it while taking the drugs (sometimes persisting after stopping), there are also people who crash when they come off SSRIs...

About the doctors, some of them may know these drugs cause damage, but others actually are just brainwashed from the pharma companies that they are safe and blindly believe everything the system teaches them. It is like that in the medicine - you have to believe and do what is written in the guidelines, no matter how wrong it may be, or you are out of the business.

Venlafaxine 75mg, 150mg, 225mg December 2020 - March 2021

Sertraline 50mg, 100mg March 2021 - April 2021

Escitalopram 10mg, 20 mg April 2021 - May 2021

• Mentor
13 minutes ago, Fairsome said:

In normal physiologic states, vasodilation occurs through the serotonin mediated release of nitric oxide from endothelial cells, and the inhibition of release of norepinephrine from adrenergic nerves" 

thank you!! very interesting 

14 minutes ago, Fairsome said:

It is like that in the medicine - you have to believe and do what is written in the guidelines, no matter how wrong it may be, or you are out of the business.

yes you are right

which just underscores my opinion that medicine should not be a business, I am going to be unpopular with this belief most likely, but I think health care should be provided to everyone similar to the way we provide other things for the common good, like firefighters, police, and the like (my brain is sluggish this morning but I'm sure there are more examples - my mind has drawn a blank here though lol)

it is in everyone's best interest to have a healthy population, to be able to work and raise families, to have, sadly, a strong military as history has shown this is necessary, and to have people not needing so much care because they are too sick. Of course there are those who need more care for reasons beyond their own control, but having medical care be available to everyone as a public service could mean that there is more money available to care for those who need it because there is so much money being saved by keeping people healthy. People would be urged to take better care of themselves. Medical care would be focused on getting and keeping ppl healthy not on managing "diseases" that right now, are mostly caused by an unhealthy lifestyle and could be cured and def prevented in most cases by making healthier choices. You'd have far less illness and could concentrate on finding more effective treatments for things that can't be changed by lifestyle choices. 
Think of how insurers can charge higher rates for smokers... in a system where everyone gets the care they need, those who choose un healthy behaviors might be penalized in some way to discourage that, or healthy behaviors might be incentivized in some way, or both. Because its for the common good, we're all in it together to keep taxes low, because that would be the likely funding source. I don't know... ppl will argue you need the financial incentive to get folks to work for treatments and cures but with the money that could be saved , there should be a way to provide that as well.

maybe this is all pie in the sky thinking I don't know,

but It couldn't be any worse than what we've got now

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;)