FredStreet: mirtazapine withdrawal lingering symptoms

FredStreet

Hi all,

I started a course of Sertraline back in Aug 21. After 6/7 weeks the side effects were to much so my GP put me on 7.5mg Mirtazapine. 

After 2 weeks she upped it to 15mg then 22.5mg and there I stayed until April 22 when I received an abnormal LIver Function Test results (fatty liver) on top of gaining 3st in weight since starting mirtazapine. 

I tapered down to 15mg for 2 weeks then 7.5 for 10 days then 0mg. 
I felt fine for 2 weeks then the dizziness, unsteadiness, slight nausea, insomnia, head pressure (no pain), brain zaps, difficulty articulating myself, changes in vision hit me one by one. As one symptom subsided another would start up. 

Most of the above symptoms have improved but the nausea and head pressure (no pain) seem to be lingering. 

My work life has started to suffer as I’m finding excuses to leave early or not come in as I just can’t face people when I’m feeling low. 
I do have good periods where I have no symptoms at all but the head pressure (no pain) and nausea seems to be lingering into week 12. 

I guess my question is, has anyone suffered from this head pressure (no pain) ? At the moment it seems to be at the front of my head and sinuses but sometimes I feel it on the sides of my head. Thanks 

• ChessieCat changed the title to FredStreet: mirtazapine withdrawal lingering symptoms
  • Administrator

Welcome, @FredStreet

Since you've been off mirtazapine, have your liver function tests normalized?

It appears you have fairly typical withdrawal symptoms, with the usual waves and windows of symptoms that morph into other symptoms. These will slowly go away over time, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You should see gradual improvement. How's your sleep?

See 

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Please let us know how you’re doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @FredStreet

Since you've been off mirtazapine, have your liver function tests normalized?

It appears you have fairly typical withdrawal symptoms, with the usual waves and windows of symptoms that morph into other symptoms. These will slowly go away over time, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You should see gradual improvement. How's your sleep?

See 

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Please let us know how you’re doing.

hi Altostrata,

thanks for your reply. I’m due to have another LFT at the end of the month but I had one at the end of May and it had improved a lot. 

My head pressure (no pain) has subsided but I’m left with a type of low level but constant queasiness. It tends to ease off when I get home from work and first thing in the morning so maybe it’s also a touch of anxiety. 

My sleep has improved in the last week but prior to that I was getting a max of 5 hours per night which isn’t to bad I suppose. 

Im currently taking omega 3, ashwaganda, Vitamin C and tumeric but will try magnesium if there is no improvement soon. 

I’ve recently had a full abdominal scan and endoscopy for an unrelated reason and thankfully the came back all clear so I’m guessing the queasiness can only be WD. My concern is that I stopped Mirtazapine on 25th May 22. In your experience, is it common to experience queasiness going into week 13?

Dear Fredstreet!

I read your description of “head pressure (no pain)” and how it feels like sinuses at the front and sides of your head are involved and YES, I too have been suffering with that feeling.  I cannot seem to get anyone to understand.  They always interpret pressure as pain.  But it’s not pain.  It’s a soreness that feels like the lining of my sinuses is inflamed or something.  I have been on mirtazapine since Nov 2020 and it wasn’t until I started reducing my doses that I felt this.  And even then I did not attribute it to the mirtazapine.  I hoped it was some strange allergy.  Although it feels sinister and like something in my brain is damaged.  Now that I have been attempting to stop the drug, the head pressure (no pain) has greatly increased. It is overwhelming today.  I tried to go cold turkey off of mirtazapine a few weeks ago from 3.75 mg on the recommendation of 2 psychiatrists and lasted 14 days.  It was unbearable.  I wanted to die.  Now I’m trying to reinstate but my brain is completely scrambled.  I am unable to stabilize and withdrawal seems to be getting worse not better. Just wanted to connect because I have not heard of anyone with this head pressure symptom.  
I see that you are 13 weeks off the drug so I wish you all the best in your continued recovery!  

Aug. 2005 - Mar. 2017  Remeron 60mg

Aug. 2019 to Nov. 2020 Lyrica 75mg
Nov. 2020 to Jan. 2021 Remeron 15mg  0.5mg Clonazepam use as needed

Jan. to Oct. 2021 Remeron reduced to 7.5mg  

Oct. 2021 Remeron reduced to 3.75mg 

July 16-20, 2022  4-day trial stopping Remeron 

July 21-22, 2022. resumed 3.75mg Remeron

July 23-27, 2022  4-day trial stopping Remeron 

July 27-31, 2022. resumed 3.75mg Remeron

Aug. 1-14, 2022 went cold turkey off 3.75 mg Remeron/mirtazapine.  FAILED stopping.  

Aug. 15-19, 2022 tried to reinstate 3.75mg of Remeron but FAILED.    

Aug.  18 to present, 2022  now trying to stabilize on very low doses <3.75mg of Remeron.   

Hi Patrickdot,

Thanks for your reply. My head pressure (no pain) has subsided since Thursday afternoon. It’s very strange how it appears and disappears almost instantly. My guess and having read hundreds of articles on WD is that it’s the brain/nervous system resetting. As I said only an uneducated guess. 

I have been tempted to reinstate mirtazapine but have felt so much better without them on the odd periods without WD symptoms so my goal is to ride the storm of symptoms and be free of mind altering meds. 

I still have a mild nausea and salivating issue at the moment but nothing to stop me going about my days. 

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 

• Administrator
On 8/19/2022 at 4:55 AM, FredStreet said:

In your experience, is it common to experience queasiness going into week 13?

We have seen withdrawal symptoms fade over many months. 

Since you have seen some improvement, if I were you, I'd nurture the natural healing and not interfere further with drugs that can upset the boat. For queasiness, you might try ginger tea or chewing ginger or ginger tablets, etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Fredstreet, 

Hello again!  
I just wanted to inform you that WebMD lists the following under the side effects for Mirtazapine:

“Inflammation Of The Tissue Lining The Sinuses”.  
So that’s what we’ve been experiencing!  

Bests,

Patrickdot

Aug. 2005 - Mar. 2017  Remeron 60mg

Aug. 2019 to Nov. 2020 Lyrica 75mg
Nov. 2020 to Jan. 2021 Remeron 15mg  0.5mg Clonazepam use as needed

Jan. to Oct. 2021 Remeron reduced to 7.5mg  

Oct. 2021 Remeron reduced to 3.75mg 

July 16-20, 2022  4-day trial stopping Remeron 

July 21-22, 2022. resumed 3.75mg Remeron

July 23-27, 2022  4-day trial stopping Remeron 

July 27-31, 2022. resumed 3.75mg Remeron

Aug. 1-14, 2022 went cold turkey off 3.75 mg Remeron/mirtazapine.  FAILED stopping.  

Aug. 15-19, 2022 tried to reinstate 3.75mg of Remeron but FAILED.    

Aug.  18 to present, 2022  now trying to stabilize on very low doses <3.75mg of Remeron.