grim: venlafaxine 15+ years

grim

Hello All,

I've been on venlafaxine for 15+ years. Dosage going up and down between 75 and 225 depending on how I was feeling and dealing with the stress of life. I eventually lost everything, home, business, family, everything. At the age of 48 I finally found a good place in my life. I was happier than I had been in 20 years. I decided it was time to try to live a normal life, free of medicine controlling my life.

For the last year or so, I've tapered down from 150 to 75, then to 37.5, each time taking about 3 months or so at each level. 2 weeks ago, I took my last dose of 37.5. Things started ok, but it I was becoming very irritable, easily stressed, and full of anger. The slightest thing would send me into a rampage of pure hatred and rage.

Last week, I had the worst argument I'd ever had with my fiancé. I told her I was leaving, I asked for the ring back, I hated everything she was doing. After the dust settled and I was sitting on the floor next to my bed crying it hit me, "Is this the drug?" One google search. Sure as ****, irritation, rage, anger.... All signs of withdrawal.

Ok, so I have a reason. What do I do about it. Where do I go from here. I talked to my PCP, he says, "sorry to hear your depression has returned, I'd recommend going back on our venlafaxine." Really???? Is this my only option, get drugged for the rest of my life. I don't know where to go. I tried to reach out to the psychiatrist that originally prescribed it to me to see what his recommendation was. However, after reading things here I'm thinking I can't trust the docs, they just want to keep pushing drugs. Do I continue to wait out the withdrawal? Is it going to get better? Does anyone get off this drug after 15 years of continuous use? 

On top of that, I was stuck on 225mg of venlafaxine when I spent 9 months in jail. The county wouldn't let me reduce the amount without a doctors order, and I couldn't see a doctor while incarcerated, so basically, I was suck on what I was on for 9 months. That resulted in consistent Tinnitus which has not gone away even after reducing to 150mg 7 years ago. My PCP said this could be a permanent condition caused by the 9 month 225mg dosage. He claims it's a common side effect.

• ChessieCat changed the title to grim: venlafaxine 15+ years
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi grim and welcome to SA,

What you are experiencing is withdrawal symptoms from stopping venlafaxine too quickly.  You do not need to be on this drug for life.  I have recently got off Pristiq (a similar drug to venlafaxine) after being on an AD for 25+ years.  I've been off successfully now for 9 months.  I arrived at SA two weeks after reducing my dose from 100mg to 50mg and had extreme brain fog.  SA suggested that I reinstate and my head cleared after only 4 HOURS.  After stabilising I tapered following SA's recommended protocol.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

The only known way to reduce the withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate the drug you previously took.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You could try reinstating a smaller amount.  SA recommends starting with a small dose and increase if needed rather than risk taking too much, which might make things worse.  Depending on what type of venlafaxine you are taking (see topic below) you could try taking approximately 20mg.  The idea of reinstating is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  After stabilising, which might take several months you can then do a careful taper.

Q:  What brand of venlafaxine are you taking?

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management