@SurvivingCitalopram1

SurvivingCitalopram1

Over the last 7 months, I’ve tapered off of citalopram (which I’ve been on for the past 20 years) but I think I tapered too fast at the end and I’m having pretty awful physical pain and anxiety. I was experiencing rage too. All very new and scary feelings for me. Can anyone offer any advice? Looking for help on how to move forward. I’m exercising, meditating, some supplements (omega 3, ashwaganda, d, multi, turmeric and ginger) and I’m trying to eat well. How can I make this pain, especially in my hips and legs, and anxiety go away? Thanks in advance! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @SurvivingCitalopram1 I’m so sorry to hear about your symptoms. How much citalopram were you on? When was your last dose? Could you please put all these things into your drug signature. Just go to the top of the Introductions and Updates page and you’ll see a thread about starting a topic for yourself. In the first paragraph you’ll see a link showing you how to do a signature. 

You’ve been on your meds a long time, and tapering so quickly can certainly cause problems. We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose every month. I can only taper at 1.5% every six or seven weeks or longer as my brain is so destabilised from these meds. 

Sometimes if you’re not too far off from jumping off your meds, reinstating a small amount of the medication, like 0.50mg or so might help. It doesn’t always, and can sometimes make things worse, but there have been lots of people that have benefited from doing this. It’s best to do it not too long after you’ve jumped off your meds though, that’s why I was asking when you went off your meds. The further away from when you jumped off the meds, the less likely it is to work. 

You’re the only one who can make the decision as to whether to reinstate, or not. Check out the thread entitled: “About reinstating and stabilising to reduce withdrawal symptoms,” under the Symptoms and Self-Care section. All the information to make an informed decision is there. 

Also, we find a lot of people benefit from magnesium and fish oil. If you decide to try them, just start with one at a small dose and then up it, then try the other. We can be hypersensitive to lots of things, so we have to tread carefully. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing @SurvivingCitalopram1 ? Could you please put in your drug signature. If you’re having trouble with that I can get someone to send you a link, I don’t have a computer. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.