Websites for Distraction

alexjuice

I used to frequent sites about finance, politics, sociology, sports, and health. I still do.

I find right now the newsy sites are too stressful. I am interested o hear if anyone has recommendations for diversion websites, or iPad apps, for playing games or learning new things. I am interested in learning PHP, the programming language of the Wordpress content management system and also ASL, American sign language.

Or if you know of chat rooms or interactive sites.

So, yea, this is a pretty broad request, but please share any diverting websites you know of, I've been going crazy with anxiety about my health and circumstances and life... I want o give myself a break but beyond just watching videos, something that requires participation helps me break those loops.

Thanks for any suggestions, especially for the iPad. Ivevhad one for 6 months and haven't downloaded any apps.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alex,

This is probably not what you are looking for but I like websites that give me a bit of a giggle.

Some of my favourites include:

www.dogshaming.com

wwwawkwardfamilyphotos

www.cakewrecks.com

Hope you get something out of these and I will think about some more intellectually engaging ones.

cheers

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi Alex,

How do you feel about crosswords or sudoku? www.youplay.com/quick-crossword sudoku.com.au

ps I googled learn PHP and some interesting info came up but don't know enough about it to know if its helpful - have a look ?

I hope this helps.

You have shared and helped so many on this site!! I hope this helps. Good luck.

Caro.

1995 Post Natal Dep - Zoloft ?dose (as well as 5mg valium and sleeping tablet) Quit after a couple of months.

1998 PND - Effexor-xr 150mg. Tried reducing but failed due to heightened anxiety. Quit cold turkey when pregnant with 3rd child.

2003 PND again on Effexor-xr 150mg. Numerous times tried to wean.

2006 75mg.

2010 Weaned off too fast as per dr recom 75mg every 2nd day etc. was Effexor-xr free for 3 months. Reinstated 75mg

1/6/12 = 72 mg

2/7/12 = 69 mg

16/7/12 = 67.5 mg

1/8/12 = 60 mg

19/8;12 = 52.5 mg

4/9/12 = 45mg

2/10/12 = 37.5 mg

Hi Alex,

This is probably not what you are looking for but I like websites that give me a bit of a giggle.

www.dogshaming.com

Ha! This one is great, thanks!

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

Hi Alex,

www.dogshaming.com

Ha! This one is great, thanks!

There's always www.pacificbassetfeet.net

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so maybe this isn't exactly what you had in mind, Alex, but for those who like things like knitting, quilting, and so on but are not able to actually do anything about it:

www.masondixonknitting.com

Witty women blog (excellent writers) about knitting, life, the universe-cool photos of lots of stuff

www.katedaviesdesigns.com

interesting blog by a knit designer is Scotland. Gorgeous nature photos of her travels around the UK with dog and husband. She's also an excellent writer. Kate was an academic as well as a knitter and had a catastrophic stroke, from which she is recovering...her writing is excellent and her photos of the wilds of scotland are beautiful.

Scroll through them to see the photos.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

The Onion is always good for a laugh if your sense of humor leans that way.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I like Pioneerwoman.com lots to browse and can be funny. My favorite is the audio for "juice bag" . Really. :blink:

As far as "heady " websites for stimulation I've got nothing but have you ever made or used Power point? I mean as in putting together a power point presentation regarding your journey / experiences? Or a power point let's say on the topics you are interested in ASL, PHP etc..... Personally I enjoy the program, it has lots of options to create something visual and I think just the mental energy it takes is a solid, intellectually stimulating diversion.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

And don't forget our own Off-Topic forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/9-off-topic/ where we can have fun when we feel like it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

As far as "heady " websites for stimulation I've got nothing but have you ever made or used Power point? I mean as in putting together a power point presentation regarding your journey / experiences? Or a power point let's say on the topics you are interested in ASL, PHP etc..... Personally I enjoy the program, it has lots of options to create something visual and I think just the mental energy it takes is a solid, intellectually stimulating diversion.

I used to do Powerpoint presentations regularly years ago. Spreadsheets, graphics. Now I look at it and am overwhelmed. I blamed it on the change of formatting, but it could very well be my malfunctioning brain. I used to be able to process things much better.

I like your idea, though!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 month later...

Wow, a lot of great suggestions in here.

Thanks, guys.

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alex

I was thinking if you when I saw this the other day

It's a website that allows you to access uni courses online for free. It covers diverse content but something in there might be a distraction

https://www.coursera.org/

Cheers

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan.

Right now, I am having a lot of stomach trouble. It'd probably do me some good to distract myself ...

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Did anyone look at this offering.. it's on the front page. Up our alley? https://www.coursera...e/drugsandbrain

Course Syllabus

(preliminary)

Week 1. Introductory concepts. Drugs, drug receptors, neuroscience. Resting potentials. Equivalent circuits.

Week 2. Drugs open and block ion channels. Dose-response relations. Desensitization. Epilepsy drugs. Drugs activate and block G protein pathways.

Week 3. Drugs block neurotransmitter transporters. Recreational drugs. Nicotine Addiction.

Week 4 Drugs for neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases.

Week 5 Drugs for psychiatric diseases. Developing new drugs. Inside-out drug action. Interventional neuroscience.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Yea I saw that. That's really interesting.

It's a cool site. I wonder if this was the site that MN tried to foolishly ban because it was free?

[hold for googling]

Ahhh, yes, the good folks in MN did in fact try to ban this site. But, happily, they failed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/evapereira/2012/10/19/minnesota-bans-free-online-education/

Alex

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy