JustinO: Need advice! I cold turkey Clonazepam 7 months ago.

Justin0

I have been struggling with social anxiety disorder for almost 6 years.. after trying CBT with not much change in my anxiety. I decided to try medication. That's the introduction to the psychiatric drug for me in the year 2022. I 23M have taken Clonazepam for 3 and half months. by the end of 3 months I have experiencing severe side effects. So after talking to the prescriber he allowed me to get off of drug temporarily Because I'm going to attend an interview for my studies. After that I didn't bother starting again the drugs. Because I'm overwhelmed by the  drug withdrawal.The side effects I have experienced Includes  Cognitive Impairement, Memory loss (I used to be very intelligent and sharp kid) Concentration issues, Basically blank mind, Can't Imagine Can't think, sexual dysfunction, zero libido, No feelings while erection, Brain fog, emotional Numbness, (I don't feel shame, anger, pleassure, happiness, sadness) Zero motivation, No drive,...These are the side effects currently I can think off. Now after 7 and half months  brain fog, Memory and thinking ability is the only thing that Improved.  

If I'm Informed about side effects of the drug I should never taken this, I don't know how long should I endure this side effects? Is this Withdrawal Or side effects? Is there anything I can do to Improve my condition other than doing Exercise, Eating clean, Sleeping well. Have I permanently damaged my CNS and BRAIN? 

Edited by manymoretodays
name to topic title, unbolded the text in post, for ease of reading

Clonazepam + propanol (sept 1 2022 to 8 Nov 2022)

Trivoxetin (sept 1 2022 to 8 Nov 2022)

Tapered by cutting tablet in half and taken for  a week and stopped.As Doctor prescribed.

• manymoretodays changed the title to JustinO: Need advice! I cold turkey Clonazepam 7 months ago.
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Justin0

When did you last take clonazepam? Did your prescriber tell you to simply quit it? Did you tell your prescriber about your resulting problems?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

@Shep please consult.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@AltostrataDoctor told me to cut the tablet in half and take that for a week and stop. My last dose is in November 2022.I have talked about my problem to the prescriber then he said it's my underlying condition is coming back..which is not true..and he suggested me to updose the medicine.I didn't listen to him and didn't looked at the psychiatric area.

Tapered by cutting tablet in half and taken for  a week and stopped.As Doctor prescribed.

@Justin0welcome to SA. Thanks for messaging me. You are definitely dealing with withdrawal from stopping your clonazepam suddenly. Good news is you weren't on it long and you are already seeing improvement. Your brain and CNS are not permanently damaged. They will heal but it will take time, patience and you will have to be accepting of the situation. 

There are things that should be avoided. No alcohol, no caffeine,no CBD, no artificial sweeteners. Many benefit from fish oils with EPA and DHA as well as magnesium glycinate. Use this intro thread to ask any questions. Glad you found this site.👍

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/5.5.24-4.39 mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

• Administrator

Thanks for your signature, @Justin0

It appears you quit vortioxetine at the same time? How did you go off that?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I can't remember exactly how I quit..As far as I can think I strongly believe that I cold turkey that medicine too.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Justin0 Are you currently taking any supplements? 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Are you seeing any improvements since you stopped last November? Do you see your progress presenting in the typical window/waves pattern?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

@ShepThanks for writing. Currently I'm not taking any supplements at the moment. But I will try those two you mentioned earlier. As for windows and wave pattern I'm not sure which side I'm in. I used to be miserable at the start of the withdrawal. Now slight improvement for the brain fog. But I don't see any window'. like my symptoms are going for while and coming back to old miserable state. I think I'm constantly in miserable state. I'm going to gym everyday for weightlifting. I don't know Is that good for me in anyway. But I'm going anyways. I don't know pushing myself like this put me in wave pattern for long time or not.Also I try to get sleep atleast 8 hours a day. 

• Administrator

@Justin0 how has your sleep pattern changed in the last 2 months?

@AltostrataI sleep late by 1 am or 2 am then wake up at 9 or 10 am.. This is my routine for last several months.

• Administrator
On 7/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, Justin0 said:

Memory loss (I used to be very intelligent and sharp kid) Concentration issues, Basically blank mind, Can't Imagine Can't think, sexual dysfunction, zero libido, No feelings while erection, Brain fog, emotional Numbness, (I don't feel shame, anger, pleassure, happiness, sadness) Zero motivation, No drive,...These are the side effects currently I can think off. Now after 7 and half months  brain fog, Memory and thinking ability is the only thing that Improved.  

Aside from emotional anesthesia, a common consequence of taking psychiatric drugs and going off the drugs, it appears post-drug sexual dysfunction is all that's left. This also tends to go away in time.

We expect very slow, gradual recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome. You appear to be recovering gradually. It would be best if you were patient, not overdo anything, and allow your body to fix itself.

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Justin0 said:

@ShepThanks for writing. Currently I'm not taking any supplements at the moment. But I will try those two you mentioned earlier. As for windows and wave pattern I'm not sure which side I'm in. I used to be miserable at the start of the withdrawal. Now slight improvement for the brain fog. But I don't see any window'. like my symptoms are going for while and coming back to old miserable state. I think I'm constantly in miserable state. I'm going to gym everyday for weightlifting. I don't know Is that good for me in anyway. But I'm going anyways. I don't know pushing myself like this put me in wave pattern for long time or not.Also I try to get sleep atleast 8 hours a day. 

Sleeping 8 hours a night is excellent, Justin. Hang in there. You'll likely see gradual and slow - frustratingly slow - improvements over the coming months as your nervous system recovers. 

Don't push too hard with the weight lifting. Are you able to take a 30 minute walk in nature every day? Are you eating a healthy diet - low sugar, plenty of protein and veggies and fruits and avoiding alcohol? Are you getting plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated? 

On 7/8/2023 at 4:15 PM, Shep said:

Sleeping 8 hours a night is excellent, Justin. Hang in there. You'll likely see gradual and slow - frustratingly slow - improvements over the coming months as your nervous system recovers. 

Don't push too hard with the weight lifting. Are you able to take a 30 minute walk in nature every day? Are you eating a healthy diet - low sugar, plenty of protein and veggies and fruits and avoiding alcohol? Are you getting plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated? 

@ShepI'm not doing any sort of walk in the nature. Do I need to walk on the morning or night? Is there any specific time? Also I'm not really focusing on my diet closely. I surely add more veggies and fruits  to my diet. I don't consume alcohol. I used to smoke cigarettes before. Now I'm nicotine from the begining of withdrawal. I smoke here and there..but from last several months I haven't touched a single cigarette. I try to drink atleast 2 litres of water in a day. Also I read lot of people living with side effects for years. Which make me sad (even though I don't feel much emotions) and suicidal also very nervous and thinking that I never heal.

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Justin0 said:

@ShepI'm not doing any sort of walk in the nature. Do I need to walk on the morning or night? Is there any specific time? Also I'm not really focusing on my diet closely. I surely add more veggies and fruits  to my diet. I don't consume alcohol. I used to smoke cigarettes before. Now I'm nicotine from the begining of withdrawal. I smoke here and there..but from last several months I haven't touched a single cigarette. I try to drink atleast 2 litres of water in a day. Also I read lot of people living with side effects for years. Which make me sad (even though I don't feel much emotions) and suicidal also very nervous and thinking that I never heal.

Nope, no specific time for a nature walk. Whenever you have the time, energy, and it's safe to do so (walking at night isn't always advised in some neighborhoods, so please be careful). Although if you want the benefits of getting some vitamin D, daytime walks are the best, since vitamin D comes from the sun. 

It's good you aren't drinking alcohol and have stopped smoking. The fact that you're sleeping well is a great sign, Justin. Keep the faith that you're going to heal. You're definitely moving in the right direction. 

For inspiration and hope, please see:

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal

@ShepThanks for your response. I'm planning on doing Intermittent fasting as well. Possibly 16 hour fasting period and 8 hour eating period. or 20-4. Is it good or for our brain and CNS? Or am I gonna stress my nervous system and lengthen my recovery time? 

@Justin0 the CNS likes a regular routine. Fasting can add strain.

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/5.5.24-4.39 mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

@LostInCanada Oh really? Thanks. Then Some time in the future. Wish I can travel through time till the end of recovery. LOL.

• 8 months later...

@Altostrata@Shep @LostInCanadaUpdating after 8 months. Thanks for giving me hope.. symptom are improved from that previous horrible state. I have genital numbness, sexual dysfunction and Zero libido..there is no improvement in that area as off now. Should I be worried ??

Hey @Justin0 Altostrata has stepped away from the day to day on here. Shep has moved on to other projects in her life. 
I wouldn’t be worried. Time is a great healer. Many have recovered and thankfully you were not on these rotten drugs for long. 
So glad things have improved greatly. Keep being kind and patient with yourself. Good to hear from you. 👍