Jamee Withdrawal symptoms

Jamee

Hello, so my Dr attempted a cross taper to fluox after being on Lex without any issues for 12 yrs. I was on fluox for approx 1 month

Then stopped for almost 2 weeks but experienced constant headaches
So went back in for another script, took 2 tablets over the next 2 days then started feeling weird so stopped on Wednesday. Woke up on Friday night with a loud bang in my head with my heart pounding out of my chest and couldn't breathe properly. I got up and walked around the house tried watching TV to calm down. Feeling wouldn't go away. Next day felt the same but gradually got worse. Started feeling disconnected to my body and shaking, like chills, very dizzy and constant panic attacks. Decided to take half a lexapro and 2 panadol to see if that would help with no luck. Went to sleep and woke up at 1230 in a massive panic after hearing another loud bang in my ears. This time I couldn't calm myself down so drove myself to the hospital where they admitted me immediately for tachycardia at 140.
Got home at 630, woke up at 9 feeling the same but worse out of body feeling, felt like I was going crazy. Extremely emotional. Constant negative thoughts. Managed to calm myself down after a few hrs. Took 2 panadol every 4 hrs and 1 pro calm to sleep. Woke up after nap feeling the same but slightly better.
So scared to sleep
The next day I took myself to hospital again where they reinstated me on 10mg of lexapro which did not help.

My symptoms continued to worsen to all symptoms listed below.

Uncontrollable leg tremors
Head tremor
Dizzy
Feel really vague when I look at things
Heart pounding
Mind racing
Felt crazy
Couldn't walk properly from legs shaking
Chills
Hot flushes
Head pressure
Ear pressure
Loud bang in ears
Insomnia
Too scared to sleep
No appetite
Tingling in hands
Slight chest pain on and off maybe twice
Day dream
Dry mouth
Itchy skin
So tired but can't sleep
Constant racing thoughts
Brain feels like it jumps
Hallucinations
Disassociation

Akathisia

A week after i dropped my dose to 5mg which is I have stayed at for 22 months now. Even though I am so much better, I still have trouble with my eyes focusing, brain fog and confusion at times. 

I guess my question is, what do I do from here? Will I eventually stabilise as it has already been almost 2 yrs or is this most likely me now?

Thank you for taking the time to read this 

2007 - 2021 lexapro

2021 - Bridge taper from Lex to Prozac

2021 - 1 month later stopped Prozac and reinstated Lex 5mg

2021 - 2023 still not stabilised 

• Altostrata changed the title to Jamee Withdrawal symptoms
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Jamee

Are you still taking Lexapro? It could be that you are taking too much Lexapro for a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal. You might try reducing it to 2mg. The prescription liquid is helpful for this.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone else? Most ppl that reinstate seem to only take a few months to stabilise again.

Yes, I am on 5mg still. I worry that going to 2 may throw me into bad withdrawal again but I will try it for a few days and see how I feel. 

2007 - 2021 lexapro

• Administrator

We have dozens of people here who reinstated at too high a dose and had the same symptoms of activation.

Since it's been 22 months, if I were you, I'd consider very gradual tapering, see if the symptoms lessen. 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please let us know how you're doing. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice. Have you had ppl take this long to stabilise as well or is this unusual?

Thanks,

Jamee 

2007 - 2021 lexapro

• Administrator

Initially, 10mg was too much for you and caused adverse effects. If what you're having is adverse effects of the drug, you will have them as long as you're taking too much of the drug.

Yea so I reinstated 10mg which was Drs advice but knew it was too much so dropped to 5mg about 22 months ago now but still haven't stabilised unfortunately. So atm I have weird vision where my eyes can't focus on  anything and brain fog or inability to take new information in. So you recommend I slowly drop or drop straight to 2mg?

Thanks 

2007 - 2021 lexapro

• Administrator

No, since it's been 22 months, I would try a 10% reduction to see if that helps. See Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please let us know how you're doing. 

Thank you I appreciate your advice. Is it possible that the c Vax could have made my wd worse and if so will it take longer for my brain to heal? 

Thanks 

2007 - 2021 lexapro

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Jamee said:

Thank you I appreciate your advice. Is it possible that the c Vax could have made my wd worse and if so will it take longer for my brain to heal? 

Thanks 

I don't know. Unlikely. Alcohol is something that could really set you back.

• 8 months later...

Hello, it has been 2.5 years of holding on 5mg of lexapro with no changes. I have been on this drug for 12 years and have been going through withdrawal symptoms for 2.5 years after a Dr attempted to bridge taper me to pro in a wk which went horribly wrong.

Most of my symptoms have subsided except for brain fog and vision issues. Is it possible to stabilise after this long while still on the drug or will these symptoms remain until I am completely off? Thanks

2007 - 2021 lexapro

• Administrator

Hi Jamee,

I've moved your new post back here. Please keep everything relating to yourself in one spot.

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling. 

Do you take exactly the same dose each at the same time every day (not skipping doses, ever)?

Are you sure you are taking the same manufacturer? Changing manufacture can cause you grief.

No alcohol or other drugs?

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,