Antidepressant Withdrawal and Protracted Antidepressant Withdrawal Now Officially Recognised

Katy398

Hi Moderators,

I'm not sure this has been reported on the site yet. 

Mark Horowitz has been working hard behind the scenes to get Antidepressant Withdrawal and Protracted Antidepressant Withdrawal  officially recognised. He announced on X/twitter Oct 6 

"SNOMED has today added code 1285639002 'Protracted antidepressant withdrawal syndrome (disorder)' to its system. GP practices I believe need to activate this code locally to use it.."

Which was  followed by this!

"SNOMED is having a productive day. Code 1269539009 |Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome (disorder) has just been created."

I then contacted SNOMED CT AU and this was their response,

"Many thanks for your email.

I’m pleased to let you know that the two concepts you have identified are available in the SNOMED CT-AU release.

You can find these concepts by searching for them using terms or the concept ID at:  Shrimp/🔥 SNOMED CT Browser"

I think it is now recognised internationally now.

So As Joanna Moncrieff States Now we have to wait for PSSD to be recognised. It does feel that things are moving in the right direction.

Best wishes to everyone.

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• 1 month later...

Any information in regards to Australia??

2016 - Tapentadol (Palexia) 100mg SR twice a day

2016 - Lyrica (Pregabalin) 300mg twice a day

2017 - Cymbalta (Duloxetine) 90mg once a day
2018 - Lyrica 150mg twice a day

2021 to Present - Lyrica 75mg twice a day

05/2022 - Started tapering Tapentadol. Doctor stupidly reduced me from 100mg to 50mg in 1 day. Huge withdrawals. Since getting down to 50/50mg I started getting this compounded myself by reducing 10mg in either the morning or night per month. As of 23/10/2023 am completely off Tapentadol. Withdrawal symptoms remain, but difficult to tell how much is Tapentadol, how much is Cymbalta, and how much is just me. 10/2022 - Cymbalta changed to 60mg in the morning and 30mg at night to aid morning struggles with high cortisol levels and due to the short half life. Brain zaps were the most common symptom besides general mental health deterioration. 02/2023 - Started tapering Cymbalta by counting beads. Reduced 60mg morning dosage by 5-10 beads per week on average. Once down to 30/30 I started taking out 5 beads per capsule per week = 10 beads total per week. Am currently on 24mg twice a day. This = 200 beads minus 40 beads per capsule. 160 out of 200 = 80% which = 24mg. Have not been great the last few months, but this is certainly due to tapering Tapentadol as well. Stabilised on 24mg the last month and will continue this until the 11/12/2023 when I will attempt to reduce slightly again. 

Presently on -

Tapentadol = 0mg. Cymbalta = 24mg twice a day. Lyrica = 75mg twice a day. 

Feel free to ask me anything about myself and this journey. Including withdrawal symptoms.