Looking for people from the UK and Canada willing to share their story with antidepressant withdrawal

JulieRoy

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if some members of this group from the United Kingdom and Canada would accept to share with me their experience with antidepressant withdrawal. 
It is for a written report to be published in a Canadian media. The stories of few people will help to illustrate the nature and the extent of the problem.
I don’t absolutely need to disclose the full name or to publish pictures in the report, for those who prefer to stay anonymous. The purpose of the report is not to put a big spotlight on people who are suffering or suffered from withdrawal. It is to explain the depth of this issue; the stories of antidepressant users will come in support and will be told with care and respect.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. 
Thanks in advance for your help!
Julie Roy

• 2 months later...

I can, if you still need people.

• 15mg Remeron/Mirtazapine November starting 2022 (severe physical side effects)
  • Attempted to taper off January 2023, ended up having a major breakdown and going up to 30mg, took weeks to stabilise
  • Therapy and self-care helped a lot mentally while stable on the drug (but with bad physical side effects)
  • Tapered off over 4-5 weeks, felt physically better all through taper & sexual side effects & palpitations went away
  • Last dose 20-24th April 2023
  • Severely physically unwell from 2nd May 2023. Had many bad symptoms eg. Palpitations, adrenaline rushes at night etc in the weeks following and couldn't eat. 
  • Many symptoms eventually resolved, but left with severe and debilitating fatigue, poor sleep and sexual side effects.

Summary: 5 months using Mirtazapine, including 1 month taper ending late April 2023. Severe withdrawal since.

• 3 months later...

Hi Julie, I don't know if you're still looking. What media is it for?

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 2.5mg, Camomile tea (1 - 2 times a day)
Started effexor in 2011.

Stopped effexor in 2012 (fast tamper).

Got back on effexor in 2012.

Tried stopping effexor again in 2014 (I'm not sure?), fast tamper again.

Started effexor again in 2014.

Switched to Escitalopram in 2016 I believe

Stopped Escitalopram 10mg cold turkey on January 3 2024.

Reinstated Escitalopram 5mg on april 2 2024.

Down to 1mg on april 3 2024, 1.25mg on april 11 2024

Hello,

brand new member, not sure if I have set things up correctly but I would be very happy to talk about my experience.  I was on Clomipramine for 23 years, but had to come off it due to heart & kidney damage.  I have now been completely off for exactly 12 months but I have had terrible withdrawal symptoms and have now been told that I have Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome & ongoing issues.  But I am off, and have been for 12 months so I guess that is a success! 

On 4/19/2024 at 6:48 PM, ClaireM said:

Hello,

brand new member, not sure if I have set things up correctly but I would be very happy to talk about my experience.  I was on Clomipramine for 23 years, but had to come off it due to heart & kidney damage.  I have now been completely off for exactly 12 months but I have had terrible withdrawal symptoms and have now been told that I have Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome & ongoing issues.  But I am off, and have been for 12 months so I guess that is a success! 

Hello @ClaireM. If you'd like to start an introduction topic about yourself, thanks. Click here.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

Thanks everyone for your reply. I have already published my paper on radio-canada.ca at the end of February.

So I am not looking anymore. Good luck to all of you in your attempt to withdraw antidepressants. 

Julie

1 minute ago, JulieRoy said:

Thanks everyone for your reply. I have already published my paper on radio-canada.ca at the end of February.

So I am not looking anymore. Good luck to all of you in your attempt to withdraw antidepressants. 

Julie

Do you have a link? I'm interested! Even if it's it's in french...

Thank you!

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 2.5mg, Camomile tea (1 - 2 times a day)
Started effexor in 2011.

I found it, if anyone is interested. The article is in french.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/long-format/2050737/antidepresseur-sevrage-arret-medicament-medecin

It's a great article. Well researched in my opinion.

It's infuriating how Dr Pierre Bleau, Dr Benoit Mulsant and Dre Daphné Rocha Marussi are completely dismissive. For them, we don't exist.

I wonder how many of their patients just "relapse" for no reasons?

Started effexor in 2011.

Thank you for reading my report and for your good words.

I know it can be really challenging to read what canadian doctors had to say about withdrawal.

The difference of position with Dr Horowitz, Moncrieff and Read is striking. 

Still a long road ahead. 

‘Dr. Benoit Mulsant, Professor and Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto, believes that antidepressant withdrawal is not a problem.

“It's like having the flu. It's flu-like symptoms that last 3, 4, 5 days. People get a bit dizzy, have stomach problems, nausea, diarrhea,” he says.

“A small number [of patients] have withdrawal symptoms, probably 5-10%. But for 90% of them, they can be avoided simply by tapering off. But not over months, that's nonsense,” he says. To stop, it's two to three weeks.’

I beg to differ…

Thank you @JulieRoy 🥰

Effexor XR 75mg 1997-2012 

Effexor XR 37.5mg 2012-2017 (tapered off over six months - finished taper July 2017)

SCA Aug 12th, 2017

Cymbalta 30mg Aug 2017 - Nov 2017 (CT Nov. 17th for medical reasons)

Metoprolol 50mg Aug 2017 - Feb 2019 tapered down to 25mg June 2019 then tapered down to zero. Off Metoprolol as of Jan 2020        

Amiodarone (anti-arrhythmic med) 200mg Nov 2017- May 2018

Supplements: Omega 3, vitamin D3, magnesium

What helps me: Manual lymphatic drainage massage, acupressure, meditation, homeopathy (my psychiatrist is also a certified homeopath), a healthy diet when possible organic, yoga, walking my dogs every day and gardening.