Alexsty: Hi, new here! Bowel problems from SSRIs

Hi everyone!

I've been reading and getting encouragements from this site for a few months now. For quite some time, I though I was alone, experiencing side effects and felt that everything was in my head when I got dismissed by the doctors. The year of 2023 was considered the worst year in my life in terms of health.

I've been misdiagnosed with bipolar once in 2013. I couldn't remember what medications I was on. I trusted the system and hoped for the best but then I quit cold turkey because I couldn't deal with the side effects. Fast forward to 2018, I've experienced a panic attack on the way to a job interview. I went back to see a psychiatrist and got diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I was on something for the panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg and Anxiset 10 mg. for depression. I used to have constipation on and off since I was a child so I never thought that constipation was one of the side effects from the drugs or ANY side effects for that matter. I never listened to my body. In 2022, I began tapering down on Lexapro from 10mg to 5mg and stopped taking Lexapro in December 2022. That is when my bowels stopped working completely. I had no urge to go to the bathroom and could go for weeks without a BM. I was dependant on laxatives from that point. I went to 4 different doctors, 2 of them specialized in motility. Did numerous bowel cleanout, a colonoscopy, x-rays, defectogram, anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion, sitz marker test, biofeedback and went on several motility medications. All of the tests came back as normal, nothing out of the ordinary except for a redundant colon and dilated sigmoid colon due to long time constipation. I went back to my psychiatrist and told her about my constipation, she then changed my medication to perphenazine. My symptoms were still on going, at this point it was nearly a year now. I went down the rabbit hole, thinking I had colonic inertia, that I was going to have to remove my colon, etc. My last test that I did in November was sitz marker test where I had to stop all medication including perphenazine. During that week, I had normal BM and expelled 23 out of 24 markers and I felt the urge to go to the bathroom slowly coming back. My doctor asked why I took perphenazine, it causes dry mouth, no urge to poop, slows the motility in the colon and tend to suck out water from your colon. I went back to my psychiatrist and told her that I wanted to stop the medication and that it causes more constipation. She said ok but only for a short break then I need to go back on the medication again. But I never went back! I am yet to experience withdrawal symptoms and still trying to fix my bowel problems but it is slowly getting better.....like very slowly.

The things that I learned so far:

-General doctors would dismiss your symptoms and thing it's not related to antidepressants. There's not enough evidence to back this up.

-You need advocate for yourself, you know how your body operates. Listen to it. I just went numb and ignored everything.

-Psychiatrists try to push medications on you but you're trading one thing for another.

-From what I read here, tapering should be done slowly and down 10%. I don't know why mine wasn't like that and reinstating Lexapro after a couple of months didn't work. 

-Antidepressants effect people differently depends on underlying problems you have prior

Has anyone have similar experiences? 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

2018 - Started medication from October 2018 with a cocktail mix of some kind for panic attacks and depression

2019-2020 - Took a break somewhere between 2019-2020

2021 - Went back on medication early 2021 (Lexapro 10mg and Anxiset)

2022- Tapered down on Lexapro from 10mg to 5mg in 2022

DEC 2022 - Cut out Lexapro and was only taking Anxiset from December 2022

FEB/MARCH 2023 - Switched back to Lexapro in Feb or March 2023

JUN 2023 - Then changed to Perphenazine lowest dose in June 2023

NOV 2023 - Cut all meds cold turkey on Nov 13th, 2023

• Administrator

Welcome top S.A. @alexsty,

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

10 minutes ago, alexsty said:

The things that I learned so far:

-General doctors would dismiss your symptoms and thing it's not related to antidepressants.

Many here have experienced this. The following link outlines common WD symptoms:

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

12 minutes ago, alexsty said:

From what I read here, tapering should be done slowly and down 10%

Agreed: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

13 minutes ago, alexsty said:

Has anyone have similar experiences?

You will find many, many people on this site with a similar experience.

Once again, welcome to S.A....and please remember to add your drug signature so we can try to assist.

Emonda.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

Thank you @Emonda I put the signature in the wrong place. I hope it's up now :)

2018 - Started medication from October 2018 with a cocktail mix of some kind for panic attacks and depression

Yes I have been having bowel issues myself. I was on Paxil for 7 years before I decided to get off. It's been about nine months since I stopped.  I try to stay hydrated and active, that helps a lot. Also, try drinking kabucha. Its a fermented tea made from mushrooms, but it has many flavors.  It will help keep your gut full of good bacteria. I'm pretty sure it will not interact with any medications, but with all your bowl treatments, it may be worth asking your doctor if it will interact with anything. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Started taking Paxil 7 or 8 years ago. Wanted to get off, so doctor told me to take 1 pill every other day for a week, then 1 pill every 2 days for a week, then stop completely. 

• Administrator

Reviewing your drug signature, you've made quite a few changes. All of this would likely have an impact on your body. Be alert to possible WD symptoms developing as a result of your CT.

The following links may come in handy:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Recovery from a Cold Turkey

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

• Emonda changed the title to Alexsty: Hi, new here! Bowel problems from SSRIs
  • 1 month later...

Thank you @Emonda. So far I haven’t had anything bad apart from my constipation and mood swings. My stress level is off the roof right now but I hope it will get better

Hey @Grog could you elaborate on your bowel issues? What did you have? Is it getting better after 9 months?