Loulabloom: Starting a slow Lexapro taper

Loulabloom

I've been doing all of my research on here, reading as many stories as I can and gather information before embarking on my taper.  So I thought it might be time to actually join in.

I started on Lexapro in November last year, very reluctantly.  I was have a lot of muscle tension that would at times make me anxious because i could get no relief from it.  I've had GAD for years, but through years of psychologists I'd learnt a lot of coping mechanisms that have kept me well (enough).  20 years ago I was on Lexapro at the beginning of my GAD diagnosis and for depression.  It helped me back then, but have never needed/wanted any meds since.

When I started this time I started on 5mg (with the instruction to keep to that for 2 weeks then move to 10mg).  I had a rough start with a huge amount of anxiety, dizziness, fatigue, terrible sleep and brain fog.  I even had one horrible day that I had to get on a plane for work and got hot burning skin, got even dizzier, and fainted.  In the middle seat between two strangers!  Awful.  The next day I tried the 10mg, thinking it might help.  It didn't... surprise surprise!  Panic attack, DR, burning feeling on skin, the worst day.  I went back to 5mg the next day, and back to 'normal'.  I've never been able to shake the bad sleep (I can fall asleep, but wake up a few times and then really early), or the brain fog.  

I kept on because I was told that I need to give it a couple of weeks for full effect.  Then it was six weeks for full effect.  I knew by then it wasn't right for me, I didn't want to be on it, and I had zero intention of increasing it.  Came here, researched, learned how to make my own liquid from my 10mg tablets and picked a date.

The first (and only) drop was 10% on 24 Feb this year - down to 4.5mg.  I've got some odd feelings that I don't know if they are WD or the medication itself.  They don't seem to follow the same kind of windows/waves patterns I've seen others mention.  Mine are very 'routine' which is what I feel is odd.

I start out the day fine, even do Pilates in the morning.  Take my lexapro at 9.30am and by 10.30 or 11am the heavy brain fog/confusion/unable to keep a train of thought starts.  Then by 1.30 the dizziness kicks in along with chills/goosebumps.  The dizziness starts to lift around 6pm, but the goosebumps are pretty much non-stop until about 9pm.  This pattern has been happening every day for the last two and bit weeks. The middles of everyday are almost a write-off.  It's really hard to work and try to be me. I've had one day where it didn't happen, but I didn't change anything on that day. I wish I did, so I could have a reason why.  I quite like a routine, so pretty good at sticking to it!  

Does this seem 'normal' for a 10% reduction?  Should I have some of this stopping soon?  I was planning to hopefully reduce again after four weeks, but I don't know if this medication is causing me more grief or if I should simply be more patient and tolerate this longer.  I'd love any feedback or advice on my odd pattern of daily symptoms if anyone has made it through my super long intro (sorry about that).

2023: started Lexapro
25 Nov - Lexapro - 5mg

9 Dec - Lexapro - 10mg **one day only and went back to 5mg next day**

10 Dec - Lexapro - 5mg

2024: Start reducing Lexapro (home made liquid) 

24 Feb 4.5mg, Brassmonkey... 22 Mar 4.38mg, 29 Mar 4.26mg, 5 Apr 4.1mg, 12 Apr 4.0mg

Supplements: probiotic x 1 daily, magnesium glycinate 200mg x twice a day

• KenA changed the title to Loulabloom: Starting a slow Lexapro taper
  • Administrator

Welcome @Loulabloom

17 hours ago, Loulabloom said:

So I thought it might be time to actually join in.

Glad you have joined us.

I've never been able to shake the bad sleep

Yeah, many of us struggle with this Melatonin for sleep

I knew by then it wasn't right for me, I didn't want to be on it, and I had zero intention of increasing it.  Came here, researched, learned how to make my own liquid from my 10mg tablets and picked a date.

You're one of the fortunate ones....most of us learnt the hard way not to stop CT.

The first (and only) drop was 10% on 24 Feb this year - down to 4.5mg.  I've got some odd feelings that I don't know if they are WD or the medication itself. 

Have you read this link: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)  .

Does this seem 'normal' for a 10% reduction?

The things you describe sound pretty typical/normal.

but I don't know if this medication is causing me more grief or if I should simply be more patient and tolerate this longer.

Slow and steady is the way to go. If you go faster, the WD will become very unpleasant. Perhaps consider this: The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering it works well for me.

Some other helpful links that you have probably seen:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

@Loulabloom welcome! I am currently tapering/stabilizing on Lexapro. You can see what has been happening on my timeline. I was fine and had virtually no symptoms until I got down to 7.5mg. I increased to 10mg and then 20mg per doctors orders and that made everything 10 times worse. I was way better at 10mg and should’ve stayed there. I think the first two weeks of withdrawal are the hardest for me mainly because I have to realize I will be living in this weird state for another week or maybe even another year! (Let’s hope it’s way less than a year lol) I will be praying for you and if you ever need anything, PM me or reach out! 

PS - learn to find the joy in the suffering. Everyday is a gift. 

Started Zoloft 07/2021 - adverse reaction. Stopped taking it three days in. Started taking 10 mg of Lexapro around 09/2021. Stayed at 10 mg for a couple months. Upped to 20mg around 01/2022. Everything was great on 20mg. No complaints.  Started tapering off 09/2023. 15mg at first. Went down to 12.5mg on 09/19/2023. Went down to 10mg 10/24/2023. Went down to 7.5mg 12/05/2023. Updosed to 10mg on 1/30/2024 due to anxiety coming back. 2/23/2024 upped to 15mg due to anxiety still being around. 3/1/2024 Upped to 20mg to stabilize.  

@Emonda  Thanks so much for the welcome.  Your reassurance that my symptoms and the pattern of them is invaluable to me.  It helped me 'relax' into in a bit and have some patience.

I think the brassmonkey slide might be the way to go for me when I get there in a couple of weeks.  I had to start somewhere, but at least I've survived a 10% drop anyway.  There's always a fear that you're going to be one of the unlucky ones.  I'll let you know how it goes when I get there.

I've had two days now (including today) without any goosebumps, and the brainfog/confusion has eased up a bit.  I'm so grateful for it! And to say that to anyone outside of this group would sound like I'm really easily pleased!  Fingers crossed it gets more stable over the next week.

Thanks again for the support.  It helps to not be alone in this.

25 Nov - Lexapro - 5mg

10 Dec - Lexapro - 5mg

24 Feb 4.5mg, Brassmonkey... 22 Mar 4.38mg, 29 Mar 4.26mg, 5 Apr 4.1mg, 12 Apr 4.0mg

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Loulabloom said:

Your reassurance that my symptoms and the pattern of them is invaluable to me.

I still remember when someone replied to my first post. It was such a boost. Glad it was helpful for you, too.

6 minutes ago, Loulabloom said:

There's always a fear that you're going to be one of the unlucky ones.

Just take it slow and listen to your body. If it is unpleasant, pause and then slow down.

8 minutes ago, Loulabloom said:

I've had two days now (including today) without any goosebumps, and the brainfog/confusion has eased up a bit. 

Great news.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

I guess I now understand the windows and waves. 

I did have three days in a row where everything except the dizziness eased up, and I thought that meant I’d ’stabilised’. I was so happy and grateful I could even make my dentist appointment. But it’s come back to get me today. Waves of heat, dizziness, confusion, headache and that horrible anxious feeling. I guess this is a wave!

I keep reminding myself it’ll go, but I’m so disappointed. It’s all still better than my original symptoms so that’s definitely a good sign. 

Slow and steady, onward I go. 

25 Nov - Lexapro - 5mg

10 Dec - Lexapro - 5mg

• 1 month later...

Hi Loulabloom- welcome!  I'm new here too, and also tapering Lex while suffering from long covid.  So many overlapping symptoms- it can be very confusing at times lol!  

I'm glad you found this place before you had to learn about how awful it can be to taper too fast or cold turkey.  I think my rapid tapers and cold turkey stops over the last 30 years have done a LOT of damage to my nervous system, so it's wonderful that you're doing things the smart way so you don't have to experience that.  

Your symptoms all sound very normal to me.  The way I see it- our nervous system controls every single action our body takes, from running up the stairs to pooping lol, so it's no surprise that when we come off of these meds, many body systems can be affected.  And we're all different, so we all have different experiences.  Being here is very validating!  I like to look on the bright side of everything, and I'm trying to look at this as an adventure lol.  It doesn't change the fact that there will be bad days, but it does allow me to give myself the grace I need right now. 

Hang in there!  This too shall pass.... :)

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin and escitalopram to get pregnant.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2016- Back on escitalopram

2022- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- 03/24-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  04/24- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN.

Hi @Catwoman73... I'm very happy you're here.  I've had a read through your posts and I'm not sure about 'Catwoman', maybe 'Superwoman' is more appropriate!  I have no idea how you can take this on at the same time as long covid.  That's TWO sets of weird symptoms and I can't even imagine how confusing it must be.  

I have actually stopped taking Lexapro once before, back in 2006, but I have no real memory of it.  All I know is that my friends and family have told me it wasn't a great time.  I do have a slight memory of brain zaps (something that's not easy to forget!).  But I do feel like I might've dodged a bullet by finding this place before jumping and starting my taper.  

I know you're going to do well too.  Your previous experience and your amazingly positive attitude will get you through it.  And us!  We're here and we'll remind you that you're still Super-Catwoman whenever you need it.  I do agree that it's a bit of an adventure lol. It's all quite surprising, yet interesting.  What will it be next?!

So far so good-ish for me.  I hope the same for you

25 Nov - Lexapro - 5mg

10 Dec - Lexapro - 5mg

8 hours ago, Loulabloom said:

I've had a read through your posts and I'm not sure about 'Catwoman', maybe 'Superwoman' is more appropriate!  

Haha thank you!  Long covid has been both a blessing and a curse.  It's horrible to not be able to get off my couch many days, but at the same time, going on disability has allowed me to do some soul searching, and make decisions about what I want and who I want to be.  Getting off of the drugs is all part of that.  Yes, it's a bit tough to tease out what's causing what, but that just means I have to take this slow. 

So far so good for me as well.  I feel very lucky- I dropped from 20mg to 10mg in a fairly short time period with very few side effects.  I was only able to do that though because I've taken escitalopram previously, and didn't have problems until under 5mg.  That being said, my last taper was rapid, so it's quite possible that I would have experienced symptoms at higher doses, but I dropped too quickly to notice.  So I made the conscious decision to come down to 10 quickly, and then slow way down.  Moving to 9mg soon, as long as the LC symptoms stay stable.  Fingers crossed....

1995- 2007- On and off multiple antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, escitalopram). Memory poor- can’t remember dates. Always tapered fast or CT.  2007- tapered Wellbutrin and escitalopram to get pregnant.

2009- Daughter born 🥰

2016- Back on escitalopram

2022- Diagnosed with long covid 08/22.

2023- 01/23- Long term disability approved for long covid.  Started taper under MD advice from 20mg: 11/23- 15mg. 2024- 03/24-10mg. Started low dose naltrexone for long covid-5mg- terrible reaction, reduced to 0.5mg.  04/24- 10mg escitalopram, 1.0mg LDN.