ShantyO7: Here we go again... ShantyO

Hi everyone! So grateful to have found this group. I hope I am doing this right?? I truly hope I can find the help and healing I need here. I have been on some kind of AD for the last 20 years. The 2 I mostly used was Cymbalta and Fluoxetine. First one I took regularly was Cymbalta due to the 'physical symptoms of depression" mainly nausea. I was on it for maybe 3 years. I have quit taking both of them before with NO WD symptoms at all. Was off all meds and when I was 5 months pg, started having panic attacks again so dr put me back on Fluoxetine. Fast forward a bit and I decided I wanted to go back on Cymbalta, why I have no clue. Was on it 3 months and didn't like how it made me feel so dr. was going to switch me to Wellbutrin. Told me I could just quit Cymbalta and would start Wellburtin without any issues. That was a lie! Immediately, started having withdrawal symptoms. Dr. put me back on Fluoxetine thinking it would help but it did nothing of the sort. Worst 9 months of my life! Nausea was the worst symptom. I know that Point of Return is frowned upon but I feel like they actually helped me. That was back in 2017... ready to get off Fluoxetine so (different dr.) told me to wean down and I should be fine. Went from 20mg to 5mg over the course of 5-6 months. Everything went fine so I thought I was in the clear. Felt pretty good the first week, then symptoms would pop up here and there. Nocturnal panic attacks got progressively worse, started having insomnia, then all of sudden the constant nausea and anxiety. Since Point of Return is no longer, I tried implementing what I could from what helped me then but the help is limited. I am on day 62 and it's been an entire month of feeling awful. Dr. is dismissive and doesn't think it's really withdrawals so she isn't much help. Tried to get me to take Xanax but I refused. Prescribed other meds to try to help with the symptoms but nothing really helps and some of the meds I tried just make me feel worse. Feel like I'm alone in this. I am just hoping and praying that it will not be as long lived as last time since I tapered and am not taking any other medications that could interfere. I know everyone is different and all that, but just wish I knew how long this hell will last! I think I can handle everything else, it's just this unrelenting nausea that gets me. Anyway, any insight or advice into my situation would be helpful! Thanks!

Fluoxetine - January 2013 - October 2016

Switched to Cymbalta - October 2016

Quit Cymbalta CT - January 26, 2017

Fluoxetine & Gabapentin - February 2017

Slow taper of Gabapentin - May 2017

Taper Fluoxetine 20mg to 5mg - September 2023 - January 2024

Last 5mg dose of Fluoxetine - January 31, 2024

WD started February 7, 2024

• KenA changed the title to ShantyO7: Here we go again... ShantyO
  • Administrator

Welcome @ShantyO7

Your story is all too familiar, I'm afraid.

This site recommends people taper very slowly: Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions get smaller and smaller every month.

You had a very rapid taper (20mg to 5mg) late last year, followed up with a CT at the end of Jan.

When you stop ADs CT or with a very rapid taper like you have, WD symptoms are the likely outcome: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF). Can you relate to the items on this list?

It's astounding, but not surprising that your doctor dismisses WD symptoms.

17 hours ago, ShantyO7 said:

Tried to get me to take Xanax but I refused

Good decision.

Prescribed other meds to try to help with the symptoms but nothing really helps and some of the meds I tried just make me feel worse.

Sadly, I've never heard of a pill that successfully resolves WD symptoms. Inevitably, these magic pills cause other problems.

Feel like I'm alone in this.

Well, the good news is that this forum is full of people like you, so you're not alone. We are all at different stages of recovery.

I know everyone is different and all that, but just wish I knew how long this hell will last!

Yep, we all want to know that...but as you know, there is no answer. We are all different.

A few handy links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

Have a good read of these two links:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Kindling

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

So because I went from 5mg to 0mg, that's considered cold turkey??

• Mentor
7 minutes ago, ShantyO7 said:

So because I went from 5mg to 0mg, that's considered cold turkey??

Yeah, that's a pretty big drop and definitely in cold turkey territory. How's it hitting you so far? Sometimes things can seem ok for a few days and then symptoms strike. 

On 4/1/2024 at 8:24 AM, ShantyO7 said:

Dr. is dismissive and doesn't think it's really withdrawals so she isn't much help. Tried to get me to take Xanax but I refused.

Might be worth trying out some new doctors, getting second opinions and all that. I got lucky and found one who is really helpful and understands I stay more stable when I listen to my body and go slowly with changes. 20mg to 5mg in less than half a year is pretty fast for a nervous system to adapt to (and sadly all too many psychiatrists don't understand WD). 

Welcome to the site! Glad you're figuring this out.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

• Administrator

Hi @ShantyO7

This is from an article in our Tapering Section which describes Exit Dosing

Theoretical Exit Dose

The Theoretical Exit Dose is the dose to aim for before making the jump to “0”.  Some people think that a person should just taper as far as possible and then jump to “0”. However, one of the most frequently questions I get is “when do I make the jump?”. People need a target so they can make plans and chart progress.

This is where the Theoretical Exit Dose comes into play. First off it is not a hard and fast number, but rather a point in the taper where it is most likely a person can make the jump to “0” and experience a minimum of WD symptoms.

It is defined by Horowitz & Taylor, 2021 and Horowitz, et al.2021, as 1% SERT receptor occupancy which usually works out to be about 1mg. In my experience this is still much too large a dose for most people to make a smooth transition to zero.  If the transition does not go smoothly then reinstatement, stabilization and continued tapering are required.  Which can greatly lengthen an otherwise smooth taper.

I prefer to use the formula (median prescribed dose X 0.000625 = Theoretical Exit dose). Most medications are prescribed over a range of doses. For example, paxil comes in 20, 30, and 40 milligram doses. The median dose would be 30mg, which would be used in the formula above. Because we calculate using the median prescribed dosage this formula takes into account the differences in strength between medications and can be used with any of the different psych medications we see.

Again, this is a theoretical dose, something to aim for but not necessary to hit. The actual jump point is determined by how your body is reacting to your reductions.

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

Sorry, not sure how to respond to each item individually... Wow, I didn't realize that I needed to taper even more, no thanks to my dr! Symptoms started on and off about a week after my last does, then about 3-4 weeks ago, it's been non stop. The nausea is constant like morning sickness and I get waves of anxiety/nervousness throughout the day. Sometime feel short of breath. So far those are my only real symptoms... have had a couple of bad waves and starting to see some windows, however, still feel icky during those windows.

I have an appointment with a functional dr in a couple of weeks so hoping she can help some!

I really do not want to reinstate so just praying I can make it through and my symptoms will start improving soon! How long does the nausea typically last?? I know it's different for everyone but is there like an average?

I have had a couple of decent days, only real issue is the incessant queasiness, moderate anxiety and feelings of hopelessness. I have had to sleep in the recliner in the living room for the last week because I just can't get comfortable anywhere.  I think I would feel MUCH better if this queasiness would just go away. My appetite is slowly getting better and I've been hungrier, but having difficulties trying to find more foods I can stomach. I eat the SAME things every day and am scared to try much new for fear it will upset my stomach. I know this is probably what is considered a "window" so I hate the feeling like the bottom could drop out at any moment. As the windows get better, do the waves get better as well? And then each window gets better? Just really hoping that the queasiness goes away SOON! I know everyone is different but is there like an average on how long the queasiness lasts?

Anyone??

Can anyone help me understand windows and waves better... not like tapering stabilization... just plain old withdrawal windows and waves. I am having a hard time figuring it out for myself... I am NEVER symptom free but some days are better than others. But even on my "good" days, I can have a couple hours of increased symptoms. Is there anyone who never really had windows/waves and just gradually improved? With each window/wave, does the next window/wave get better? Like each wave you have is better than the last and each window you have is better than the last? Just trying to make sense of all this which is probably pointless...

Posted (edited)

Can anyone help me understand windows and waves better... not like tapering stabilization... just plain old withdrawal windows and waves. I am having a hard time figuring it out for myself... I am NEVER symptom free but some days are better than others. But even on my "good" days, I can have a couple hours of increased symptoms. Is there anyone who never really had windows/waves and just gradually improved? With each window/wave, does the next window/wave get better? Like each wave you have is better than the last and each window you have is better than the last? Just trying to make sense of all this which is probably pointless...

In early withdrawal the windows are often still littered with symptoms. As time passes the windows improve, and you eventually reach a point where windows actually consist of being symptom free. It takes a long time to reach this point.

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C