BrooklynWoman: Tapering desvenlafaxine

BrooklynWoman

Hi all,

I'm 21 years old, and I've been on antidepressants for 6 years (since June 2018). I've been on my current medication, Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), since March 2021, so over 3 years. I take 50mg daily. If I miss a dose, within 12 hours, I feel sick (nauseous, headache, fatigue), see bright light and have blurred vision, and experience "brain zaps." Not to mention falling apart emotionally.

No psychiatrist I have found is supportive of tapering the meds, even though I feel very stable and think the majority of problems I experience (i.e. daytime fatigue, needing 10+ hours of sleep, sexual dysfunction, diarrhea) are because of the meds.

I unsuccessfully tried to taper in March 2023. I went too fast and was certainly cutting them imprecisely. I was okay until I got below half the original dose (25mg). Then, I was completely unable to function. Crying spells, extreme fatigue, suicidal thoughts, you name it.

Any advice for making my next attempt to taper more successful would be incredibly welcome.

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Current Medications

• Desvenlafaxine Succ ER (50mg daily) March 2021-present
  • Spironolactone (100mg daily) December 2021-present
  • Melatonin (2.5mg daily) January 2022-present

Unsuccessfully tried to taper in March 2023

Have been on SSRI/SNRIs since June 2018 (including escitalopram, citalopram, bupropion, venlafaxine, hydroxize, and buspirone)

• Emonda changed the title to BrooklynWoman: Tapering desvenlafaxine
  • Administrator

Welcome @BrooklynWoman

3 hours ago, BrooklynWoman said:

If I miss a dose, within 12 hours, I feel sick (nauseous, headache, fatigue), see bright light and have blurred vision, and experience "brain zaps." Not to mention falling apart emotionally.

Yes, missing doses is not ideal and can leave you with some WD symptoms.

The symptoms you mention are on the WD checklist: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

No psychiatrist I have found is supportive of tapering the meds,

Sadly, not at all surprising!

unsuccessfully tried to taper in March 2023. I went too fast .

Slow is the way to go: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

and was certainly cutting them imprecisely.

Consistency and accuracy are vital. When I started on this journey, I thought cutting my pill in half with a pill cutter was good enough...I've learnt that is not the case. You must be consistent and accurate.

I was okay until I got below half the original dose (25mg). Then, I was completely unable to function. Crying spells, extreme fatigue, suicidal thoughts, you name it.

Many of us find the initial drop manageable, but the lower we go, the slower we must go. Again, you list typical WD symptoms.

Any advice for making my next attempt to taper more successful would be incredibly welcome.

Have a read of this link: 

A few more helpful links:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

Don't change the manufacturer of your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May  1.83mg,