janep: Mirtazapine Withdrawal

I will try and make this short. I am a 76 year-old female. I was put on mirtazapine about 2.5 years ago simply for insomnia. I started at 7.5 mg and was quickly increased to 15 mg. It worked beautifully and I also gained weight that I really needed. I stupidly decided to wean myself off because I don't like taking drugs and I have no problems with depression or anxiety. I started at 7.5 mg and was quickly increased to 15 mg. I knew how to do it fairly slowly with liquid and got down to 1 mg with really no problems. At 1 mg insomnia hit and I panicked. I jumped back on. I can't remember if it was to 7.5 mg or 15 mg. I was OK. Then I started titrating again. Nausea and sedation have been the biggest problems. At 1.5 mg. I am suffering badly. I decided to go up to 2 mg and try and stabilize, but I am completely doped,nausea is back and I have no appetite. I cannot afford to lose any more weight.  I know this low dose is causing sedation. so I am not sure if holding at 2 mg is going to help me continue my journey down. I am sorry I took this drug in the first place and even sorrier I decided to try and get off it. Not sure what the answer is at this point since doctors have no clue. 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Medications:

Atorvastatin 80 mg. Just switched March 15, 2024 from many years at 40 mg.

Armour 120 mg. Switched March 19, 2024 from taking Synthroid 88 mg for many years. I have no recollection when I started Synthroid

Mirtazapine liquid equivalent of 2 mg. Started at 15 mg around December 2019.

Zofran when I have nausea that does not abate.

Doctor suggested I take OTC anti-histamine when I can't sleep. That makes me feel worse.

Supplements:

CoQ10/Ubiquinol  200 mg. Several years.

For insomnia, the last week I tried a half dose of Benadryl one day and a Unisom last night - on the suggestion of my GP.

Hello @janep.

Could you follow these instructions to fill in your drug signature, that way we can better understand what is happening.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

• Emonda changed the title to janep: Mirtazapine Withdrawal