JohnD: Overactive Bladder Symptoms after stopping and starting new meds

Hi All - this is my first post and hoping to find some words of encouragement. 

I recently started taking Lexapro this March and experienced the typical onboarding symptoms for the first couple weeks. Starting in the 3rd week, I felt the constant urge to urinate despite just going. I felt the sensation 24/7 and could barely sleep. I've never experienced anything like this before and I assumed it must have been from the Lexapro. I went to a urologist who tested for a UTI, Enlarged Prostate, and Urinary retention. All tests came back normal. After doing some research on this site I'm beginning to get really worried that the meds caused permanent damage. My anxiety has skyrocketed because of this and I feel like I'm experiencing depression for the first time in my life with hopeless feelings. My wife is pregnant with our first baby that is due in August and I feel like I ruined my life taking these drugs for too long. 

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms and got better? I stopped taking the Lexapro 2 weeks ago but the symptoms still persist. Any feedback or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

I've been on and off different antidepressants for the last 4 years for Generalized and Health anxiety. 
- Zoloft January 2021 until October 2021 (up to 150 mg)

- Venlafaxine February 2022 - November 2022

- Venlafaxine March 2023 - January 2021

- Lexapro March 9th 2024 - April 9th 2024

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Venlafaxine March 2023 - January 2021

Is this meant to say March 2023 - January 2024?

Is the overactive bladder constant every day, or does it fluctuate throughout the day?

How are you sleeping?

It sounds like you experienced an adverse reaction to the Lexapro, likely due to jumping on and off a number of different antidepressants in the last few years. Each time we do this our nervous system becomes more sensitive to these drugs. I would suggest you steer clear of them from this point onwards, your symptoms should improve with time, but it will be a very challenging process.

You need to find non-drug methods of managing your anxiety.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Regards

Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Yes, the bladder issues are all day. Sleep has been poor. 

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Yes, the bladder issues are all day. Sleep has been poor. 

We had another member join recently who had bladder symptoms. They noted very gradual improvement over the months following the reaction.

See:

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

• Emonda changed the title to JohnD: Overactive Bladder Symptoms after stopping and starting new meds