Rodeo: I've been lurking for a few weeks and have a question about reinstatement.

This medication has ruined my life.

I used to pride myself on my virility, wit, charm, and intellect, all of which have become severely diminished.

I've only been able to maintain my employment during all of this due to the fact that I work remotely, and that I've recently utilized Modafinil in order to function better cognitively.

My engagement was broken off during all of this due to my behavior and I'm still struggling with that as well.

Only after we separated did I figure out what the hell was wrong with me.

She is the love of my life and has moved on.

This year I've switched to private insurance after all these issues arose from a doctor at a local community health center

and I'm not sure if my new primary doctor will even prescribe liquid Paroxetine or require me to see a Psych. doctor for that.

I'm on a waiting list for a Psych. and it could be several weeks before I see one.

Given my history below, is reinstatement wise?

Started Paxil 20mg Sept' 2022 for GAD, increased to 40mg after two weeks
Had a bad reaction within a few weeks of that which included severe gastric pain/disturbances, had no appetite, cognitive fog,
all subsided about a week later, continued medication for another month
Oct' 2022 (still on 40mg Paxil)
Gained lots of weight, unable to orgasm.
Quit cold turkey in December in 2022, severe agitation,
reinstated 40mg in January 2023.
Started a brief taper over the course of 3 weeks per doctor's guidance in April 2023, resulted in severe agitation, brain zaps, erectile dysfunction and flu-like symptoms.
May 2023: Paxil-free, no symptoms other than lingering ED and genital numbness.
June 2023: anxiety, heart palpitations, depression
July 2023: anxiety, heart palpitations, depression, SEVERE agitation
August 2023: heart palpitations stopped, agitation lessened, anxiety/depression still present, anhedonia/depersonalization set in, ED still present,
Sept/Oct 2023: no agitation, depression anxiety increased resulting in severe panic attacks, Anhedonia/depersonalization/ED still present
November 2023: anxiety, less panic attacks, vivid dreams start, Anhedonia/depersonalization/ED still present.
December 2023: symptoms continue with the addition of cognitive issues: mental fog, inability to focus,
Late December '23 - January '24: Initiated 10mg of prozac daily, titrated up to 20mg after two weeks, no improvement, in fact the agitation returned so I titrated down and quit,
Feb-March '24: no anxiety, less agitation, depression/Anhedonia/depersonalization still present, ED persists.
April '24: Self prescribed Modafinil 200mg daily which has helped tremendously with the cognitive issues, no change in other symptoms and insomnia has set in (possibly due to the Modafinil)

Supplements: C/D+K/B Complex/Mag./Omega-3 fish oil

Edited by Emonda
Name to title
  • Emonda changed the title to Rodeo: I've been lurking for a few weeks and have a question about reinstatement.
  • Administrator

Welcome @Rodeo,

I'm sorry to read you find yourself in this position.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:44 PM, Rodeo said:

This medication has ruined my life.

We've all been impacted by ADs on this site, so we have an appreciation of the feelings. You can and will bounce back from this with time and patience.

My engagement was broken off during all of this due to my behavior and I'm still struggling with that as well.

Only after we separated did I figure out what the hell was wrong with me.

She is the love of my life and has moved on.

It'd be valuable to work through this with a counsellor. 

unable to orgasm.

A typical side effect of ADs, unfortunately. This should improve with time.

severe agitation, brain zaps, erectile dysfunction and flu-like symptoms.

anxiety, heart palpitations, depression, SEVERE agitation

depression anxiety increased resulting in severe panic attacks, Anhedonia/depersonalization/ED

cognitive issues: mental fog, inability to focus

These are all typical WD symptoms. You can read a more comprehensive list here Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) (not to alarm you, but to reassure you that you are experiencing WD symptoms, rather than a relapse). When you stop ADs CT or rapidly, WD symptoms are the likely outcome.

Slow and steady is the way to taper off these drugs: Why taper by 10% of my dosage? The reductions should get smaller and smaller each month, for example: 10mg, 9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg etc. Importantly, if you develop unpleasant side effects from tapering, halt the taper, give yourself time to settle, and once stable, taper more slowly and by smaller amounts moving forward.

Late December '23 - January '24: Initiated 10mg of prozac daily, titrated up to 20mg after two weeks

no improvement, in fact the agitation returned so I titrated down and quit,

Starting a new AD is no guarantee of improving things and could make things worse, especially when your body is very sensitive as a result of various drug changes.

Should you reinstate Paxil? Reinstating is best done within 3 months of stopping. About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

The further away from stopping you are, the lower the dose that should be reinstated to try to reduce the risk of Kindling.

You've made quite a few changes over a relatively short period of time. Reinstating now could make you feel worse. I'll ask someone offline familiar with your AD for their input. They may respond here in time. You're a long time off now and way outside the 3 months.

Self prescribed Modafinil

I'm not familiar with this. I will say that I am not aware of any drug that will relieve WD symptoms. I have seen others add drugs / end up polydruged, just making matters worse.

Supplements: C/D+K/B Complex/Mag./Omega-3 fish oil

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol and any other mind-altering drugs.

A few things to try and help you now:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Melatonin for sleep

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

@Rodeo welcome to SA. Glad you found us but not happy you had to due to circumstances. 

A reinstatement would not be advisable since you have been off paxil too long. Prozac was a disaster for me as well. Both paxil and prozac are notorious for sexual dysfunction as a side effect. Your body will heal. Thankfully you were not on either drug very long.

I noticed you are taking vitamin d and a b complex. Did you have blood work showing a deficiency? Some find that these specific vitamins cause overstimulation of the central nervous system. If you are not deficient it may be worth dropping them.

Any stimulants such as coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, CBD, alcohol etc should not be consumed. Some react to msg and sodium nitrates. Eating a whole food diet as free of additives as possible is beneficial. Reducing refined sugars is also good. 

Are you able to have a relaxing daily walk in nature? Some find strenuous exercise exacerbates WD. 

You will heal. Your CNS is sensitive so be very careful when taking any OTC drugs. 

Modafinil is not benign and needs a slow taper off as well. You can type it in using the search icon to see how others have been affected. You may want to consider stopping it due to future issues. Since you haven't been on it long you could do an immediate stop.

Please post any questions here. You will be okay. Time, patience and kindness. 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg/28.4.24-4.4mg/5.5.24-4.39 mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.