Scared4: Mirtazapine withdrawal??

Posted (edited)

Hi

please could someone help me.

i have been off of Mirtazapine for 10 weeks now.

Insomnia has hit me really hard for the past 4 weeks, I don’t know what to do with myself. Most nights I get no sleep, other nights I get 1-2 hours. 
I was only on Mirt for a short time. I’m scared I will not return to normal and have done myself permanent damage. Can anyone offer me some much needed reassurance.

I have realised that I came off too quickly (followed my doctors instructions). Thank you 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

3rd November-16th November Sertraline 50mg

no sleep so switched to….

16th November Mirtazapine 15mg 

worked well until body aches and weight gain

December 27th 2023 stopped taking CT from advice from GP

terrible withdrawals, mainly insomnia but didn’t recognise it as withdrawals.

21st January 2024 started  7.5mg Mirt again for 2 and a half weeks then went down to 3.75mg for 2 and a half weeks then stopped. (At this point I was unaware of how slow you are supposed to taper)

6 weeks off of Mirt and felt fine, lighter sleep but could cope.

The next 4 weeks has been hell with little or no sleep. 
supplements:400mg magnesium 

2mg melatonin 

• Emonda changed the title to Scared4: Mirtazapine withdrawal??
  • Administrator

Welcome @Scared4,

6 hours ago, Scared4 said:

i have been off of Mirtazapine for 10 weeks now.

I have realised that I came off too quickly (followed my doctors instructions).

Slow is definitely the way to go when tapering off ADs: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Unfortunately the advice from your GP to stop CT was not helpful. The likely outcome is unpleasant WD symptoms, and insomnia is one of those symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

I’m scared I will not return to normal and have done myself permanent damage. Can anyone offer me some much needed reassurance.

You haven't done permanent damage, and you will recover with time and patience. For a little reassurance, pop over to the Success Stories section.

As to the sleep issues, I find this a little helpful: Melatonin for sleep.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

Thank you for replying 

im already taking 2mg of melatonin.

I’ve read that this can go on for months or years, that thought absolutely terrifies me. 

Is it unusual for withdrawal to hit 6 weeks after stopping? Everyone around me tells me they would be out of my system by now? 

21st January 2024 started  7.5mg Mirt again for 2 and a half weeks then went down to 3.75mg for 2 and a half weeks then stopped. (At this point I was unaware of how slow you are supposed to taper)

2mg melatonin 

قبل 7 ساعات، قال Scared4:

مرحبا

من فضلك هل يمكن لأحد أن يساعدني.

لقد خرجت من ميرتازابين لمدة 10 أسابيع حتى الآن.

لقد ضربني الأرق بشدة خلال الأسابيع الأربعة الماضية، لا أعرف ماذا أفعل بنفسي. في معظم الليالي لا أنام، وفي الليالي الأخرى أحصل على 1-2 ساعات.
كنت فقط على ميرت لفترة قصيرة. أنا خائف من أنني لن أعود إلى طبيعتها وقد تسببت لنفسي في ضرر دائم. هل يمكن لأي شخص أن يقدم لي بعض الطمأنينة التي تشتد الحاجة إليها.

لقد أدركت أنني خرجت بسرعة كبيرة (اتبعت تعليمات أطبائي). شكرا لك

I am not an expert in this, but I wanted to share one point, which is the issue of panic, anxiety, and sleep from my personal experience, and because I am an expert in cognitive behavioral therapy. The best solution in such a situation is to talk to yourself and tell it that everything is fine and that what you are suffering from is just anxiety and do deep breathing exercises on a daily basis, at least twice a day, upon waking up and before going to sleep. I hope you get through this stage quickly

June 2019- June 2022 Amitriptyline for migraines, came off June 15, 2022 CT. Withdrawal symptoms.

Should I start taking Mirt again? I can’t do this for months on end

2mg melatonin 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Scared4 said:

Is it unusual for withdrawal to hit 6 weeks after stopping

Not at all unusual.

2 hours ago, Scared4 said:

Everyone around me tells me they would be out of my system by now?

A very common misconception. It's about your brain readjusting to life without the drug...and that takes time.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Scared4 said:

Should I start taking Mirt again? I can’t do this for months on end

I can't quite work out how long you took Mirt for. What was the exact date you started taking 15mg?

I can see you stopped it CT on Dec 27. Then you restarted two weeks later for two weeks at 7.5mg, then two weeks at 3.75mg.

Why did you stop after that? Did you have some sort of adverse response?

Here's some info for you to read:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Kindling

Sorry I have just updated my info so it’s much more specific, apologies for not doing it sooner, I was in a panic at the time.

I’m so grateful for you to be looking over this for me, thank you.

Ideally I would prefer to not take it again, do you think because I wasn’t on it for that long it shouldn’t last for months on end or does it not work that way? 

2mg melatonin 

I stopped because it made every joint in my body hurt and I felt sedated all day. 
When I first started antidepressants in November it was because I was worried about a health concern, this has now come and gone and isn’t a worry any longer so l feel like I no longer need the medication.

2mg melatonin 

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Scared4 said:

Sorry I have just updated my info so it’s much more specific

Many thanks.

19 hours ago, Scared4 said:

do you think because I wasn’t on it for that long it shouldn’t last for months on end

I'd like to say 100% that's the case, but everyone responds differently. I've read that you can become dependent on ADs after 4 weeks.

17 hours ago, Scared4 said:

I stopped because it made every joint in my body hurt

If you restart, you may end up with this or something else. Again, we all respond differently. I developed tinnitus at the same time I reinstated, and I still have it years later.

17 hours ago, Scared4 said:

When I first started antidepressants in November it was because I was worried about a health concern, this has now come and gone and isn’t a worry any longer so l feel like I no longer need the medication.

Only you know how bad you feel and if you can ride it out. Have a read of the reinstating/kindling links...but unfortunately I can't say one way or the other what you should do. At ten weeks off, I've seen others reinstate 1mg or less, but on different ADs? But it's just a guess.

If you'd been on the AD for years, and had been off it for a few weeks, then reinstating would be a worthy consideration. From what I can see, you took it for 6 weeks, stopped for 4 weeks, then took half the dose for 2 weeks and a 1/4 dose for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. You will improve with time and patience.

Emonda

Thank you for your reply.

I’m sorry to hear you still have tinnitus, these drugs are so dangerous! If you have been left with this I am wondering if it is possible that I will be left with insomnia.

I read lots of success stories, a common theme is that it took these people years to get better. I just can’t imagine going on this way for a year or more! How brave they are! 

The last couple of days I feel sick and can’t eat, it seems I’m not at the peak of this yet. 

2mg melatonin