Mouth ulcers and swelling in mouth

Kalina

About six months ago I had a mouth lesion that would not heal. It was removed and diagnosed benign. Since then I have experienced mouth and tongue swelling. Not severe bit enoug h to show the indents oh my teeth on my tongue and cheeks, also resulting in unintended damage to my cheeks from biting down.

I am taking Cipralex 20mg, Wellbutin XL 300mg, and Clonazepam 0.5mg which I have reduced from 0.75 in 4 months.

Has anyone had this mouth swelling? Could it be a side effect from these drugs? I have been taking them for more than two years.

• Administrator

Welcome, Kalina.

Aside from reducing the benzo, have you changed anything about taking your medications? Time of day, dosage increases?

When did the mouth swelling start in relation to the benzo tapering? Did you have any other symptoms when you reduced the benzo?

Do you have any itching?

Please also start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hello Kalina!

I have also been on Cipralex for a long time, and during the last maybe six months or so have had the symptoms you are describing in my tongue and cheeks. I keep biting my tongue - literally! - and the inside of my cheeks when I chew. Very annoying and it hurts. I never really related it to the Cipralex until I saw your post, but maybe it is related? These symptoms have begun for me after I stopped taking Cipralex October 2012, after a much too quick taper, which I regret very much now - because of various withdrawal symptoms. I went down from 10 mg Cipralex to none in the course of appr 4-5 weeks.

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

I think there is a post somewhere about Bruxism.

It's a biggy. And for alot of us it started from ssri's.

I have had it with paxil - lexapro and now celexa.

It can produce a swollen face, pain, and lots of other lovely issues inside the mouth.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy