Tangwen

tangwen

I am new to this site. After 10 years on Lexapro (including one year of a taper to 5 mg), I took myself off at the new year (2013). I had been told that 10 mg was a low dose and since I was on 5mg for a year I assumed I was ready to go off. Also, I spent a year in rigorous hot yoga to lose weight, lower cholesterol and get ready. Initially, I had been put on this drug to treat migraines. I am now into my fourth month of horrible wd. I am constantly lightheaded. I have sleeplessness, ringing in the ears, heart palpitations and almost angina like pain, and the latest, visual issues with fluctuating glaucoma pressures elevated. I went through all of the tests (MRI, MRA, to the ENT, blood panels)as of course, the medical and pharmaceutical communities assured me this could not be withdrawal and that I should not believe what is on the net! I feel that I am past the point of reinstating and absolutely do not want to go on anything ever again. I am angry. I have resigned from a contract position as I cannot stand the way I feel and it stresses me very much. I guess I am looking for support from similar cases. I am walking every day and hope to start swimming. I find the only relief is to be in constant motion. My health has been good to date except for the extra weight (40 pounds that I have always been assured never had anything to do with the "worm's dose" of Lexapro I was on, according to the prescribing doctor). I am discouraged to think this could last many more months. Any thoughts?

Lexapro 10mg nine years

5 mg one year

10 day taper 2013

wd for 3.5 months and counting

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tangwen,

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great advice and support here.

What you're experiencing most definitely IS withdrawal. Sometimes you can go off the medication, feel fine for a while and then the symptoms hit months down the track.

One thing you might be able to do to ease the symptoms is to go back on a very small dose of lexapro, say 2mg to start with. I believe you can get a liquid solution of lexapro. There's no telling if the reinstatement will work this far out, but it's definitely worth a try.

Here is some information about how to taper:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Also - you mentioned you do hot yoga. I do hot (Bikram) yoga too and it is an intensely vigorous workout. I just want to make you aware that anything too vigorous can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms. So while you are in withdrawal you may want to stick to very gentle exercise.

I've had to put my hot yoga on hold for a while.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

hi i'm just trying to get off Amitriptyline (prescribed for neuropathic pain NOT depression),my DR has tried to tell us it's not a anti depressant - that's a lie. don't be fooled,the things you're going through are real. keep posting.

• Administrator

Welcome, Tangwen.

Lexapro is 2-3 times stronger, milligram for milligram, than most SSRIs. 10mg is not a "worm's dose," it's the normal dose. 5mg is not insignificant, either.

Your doctor has misinformed you. You are suffering from withdrawal syndrome.

Reinstating a small dose, as basildev said, may reduce the withdrawal symptoms, or it may not help at all. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

At this point, it's your choice what to do.

You may have to cope with withdrawal symptoms for a long time, as they will very gradually go away. Please look at our Symptoms and Self-care forum for ideas about what you can do to support your nervous system while it recovers.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

What an awful lie that 10 mg. of Lexapro is a low dose! Lexapro is one of the strongest SSRI antidepressants on the market, 10 mg. being equivalent to 20 mg. of most others. I "tapered" over a three and a half month period from 10 mg. of Lexapro to 5 mg. to 2.5 mg. to 2.5 mg. every other day, and then to zero (per doctor's orders) and within a month I was almost completely disabled from withdrawal. It's been sixteen months since my last crumb of Lexapro and I still have withdrawal symptoms, although at this point it's mostly apathy and emotional numbness. (You can read my story by clicking on the link in my signature, below).

Welcome to the forum. You'll find solid information and gentle, friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you for your response. I will not go back on at this point as I don't feel I could deal with an unsuccessful reinstate. Do you have any ball park figure for average time people spend feeling this way? It is hard to imagine spending the next year like this.

Tangwen

Welcome, Tangwen.

Lexapro is 2-3 times stronger, milligram for milligram, than most SSRIs. 10mg is not a "worm's dose," it's the normal dose. 5mg is not insignificant, either.

Your doctor has misinformed you. You are suffering from withdrawal syndrome.

Reinstating a small dose, as basildev said, may reduce the withdrawal symptoms, or it may not help at all. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

At this point, it's your choice what to do.

You may have to cope with withdrawal symptoms for a long time, as they will very gradually go away. Please look at our Symptoms and Self-care forum for ideas about what you can do to support your nervous system while it recovers.

Lexapro 10mg nine years

5 mg one year

10 day taper 2013

Thanks for your kind words. I agree about the yoga and will substitute walking and swimming for now.

T

Hi Tangwen,

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great advice and support here.

What you're experiencing most definitely IS withdrawal. Sometimes you can go off the medication, feel fine for a while and then the symptoms hit months down the track.

One thing you might be able to do to ease the symptoms is to go back on a very small dose of lexapro, say 2mg to start with. I believe you can get a liquid solution of lexapro. There's no telling if the reinstatement will work this far out, but it's definitely worth a try.

Here is some information about how to taper:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Also - you mentioned you do hot yoga. I do hot (Bikram) yoga too and it is an intensely vigorous workout. I just want to make you aware that anything too vigorous can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms. So while you are in withdrawal you may want to stick to very gentle exercise.

I've had to put my hot yoga on hold for a while.

Lexapro 10mg nine years

5 mg one year

10 day taper 2013

Thanks for your reply. It is my biggest fear that this will last as long as you have suffering. I just cannot imagine.

T

What an awful lie that 10 mg. of Lexapro is a low dose! Lexapro is one of the strongest SSRI antidepressants on the market, 10 mg. being equivalent to 20 mg. of most others. I "tapered" over a three and a half month period from 10 mg. of Lexapro to 5 mg. to 2.5 mg. to 2.5 mg. every other day, and then to zero (per doctor's orders) and within a month I was almost completely disabled from withdrawal. It's been sixteen months since my last crumb of Lexapro and I still have withdrawal symptoms, although at this point it's mostly apathy and emotional numbness. (You can read my story by clicking on the link in my signature, below).

Welcome to the forum. You'll find solid information and gentle, friendly support here.

Lexapro 10mg nine years

5 mg one year

10 day taper 2013

• Administrator

Recovery varies from individual to individual, Tangwen. As you have already had severe symptoms for 4 months, it most likely will take many months for you to recover.

Please consider that when you weigh the risks of reinstatement, as it could save you quite a bit of suffering, if it works.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your reply. It is my biggest fear that this will last as long as you have suffering. I just cannot imagine.

T

I didn't mean to scare you. I haven't suffered severely all of this time. I'd say the first two to three months were very bad, and then quite slowly symptoms started to fade at random. By the end of July I was able to go back to church, and in August I started physical therapy for a muscular problem caused by Lipitor. In September I began volunteering at a soup kitchen on a regular basis, and I still do that every week. Yes, there have been setbacks, days when I didn't feel up to doing much of anything, but those are getting fewer and fewer.

I'm not back to being the person I was prior to withdrawal, but I'm getting closer and closer. You can expect to get better, but it will probably just not happen as fast as you'd like. If you get nothing else from withdrawal, you'll learn about patience.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks for the additional information. I actually had a better day today as most of it was outside. I have another month of work on a contract and will then only have to work 15 to 20 hours a week on my time. I am hopeful the increased rest and outside time in the garden will help. I certainly agree with the patience comment. I just have a hard time believing this issue does not receive more attention and that so many folks such as myself are misinformed. Had I found this website first, I could have saved myself a lot of grief. However, I had no reason to think I would have a problem. I have no intentions or reinstating at this point. The risk is too great for me psychologically. One day forward at a time.

Thanks

T

I didn't mean to scare you. I haven't suffered severely all of this time. I'd say the first two to three months were very bad, and then quite slowly symptoms started to fade at random. By the end of July I was able to go back to church, and in August I started physical therapy for a muscular problem caused by Lipitor. In September I began volunteering at a soup kitchen on a regular basis, and I still do that every week. Yes, there have been setbacks, days when I didn't feel up to doing much of anything, but those are getting fewer and fewer.

I'm not back to being the person I was prior to withdrawal, but I'm getting closer and closer. You can expect to get better, but it will probably just not happen as fast as you'd like. If you get nothing else from withdrawal, you'll learn about patience.

Lexapro 10mg nine years

5 mg one year

10 day taper 2013

That is what keeps me moving forward A, I cannot deal with the uncertainty that reinstating could actually just prolong the agony. Also, I know now that my doctor has no clue (drink more water - really). I actually have another eye appointment tomorrow and the ophthalmologist is very interested in my case as he has a family member on Lexapro. He is watching my glaucoma readings. He is more curious than the MD. At least today was better somewhat as I could be outside in my garden and in the sun. I am hoping my reduced work schedule (beginning in May) and more time outside and exercising will at least keep my spirits up. Thank you for providing this mechanism for those like myself who are so overwhelmed (and I must also admit that I am not up on the technology and my niece actually should me how to respond!)I am passing this website on to all that I speak with these days.

T

Recovery varies from individual to individual, Tangwen. As you have already had severe symptoms for 4 months, it most likely will take many months for you to recover.

Please consider that when you weigh the risks of reinstatement, as it could save you quite a bit of suffering, if it works.

Lexapro 10mg nine years

5 mg one year

10 day taper 2013

• Administrator

Correct, there are risks not matter what you do, we're all in situations where there are no safe choices.