Fizz: Prozac cold turkey withdrawal

Fizz

Only got a couple of hours sleep but managed to get the kids out this afternoon. Am finding that I can't walk too far or do too much at the moment, just feeling absolutely exhausted with tidying up and sorting everything that needs doing at home. It doesn't help that the bleeding is still ongoing, this has now been since 20th March, a ridiculous length of time, am trying to keep on top of it with liquid iron supplement! It's been almost a month since I had the Mirena and apparently it can mean 3 months or more of bleeding after insertion before things settle! Just keeping fingers crossed that its going to work and in the mean time trying to put up with it. Feel so guilty having to rest a lot of the time but there's no way round it. Will just keep on going like everyone else! Lots of hugs. Xxxxxxxxxxx

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fizz

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

your doing an mazing job...super mummy!!

keep the iron as low as you can, unless you are tolerating it really well, and I will be looking out for your safe passage through this hell in the next couple of months. xxxxx

and please dont feel guilty, (although I do understand as a mummy I feel the same guilt, and in my case my hubby tells me I am lazy etc) you are doing everyting you can and MORE, forgive yourself. xx

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Thanks Iggy, thinking of you, how has your day been? Lovely words of encouragement! We will take each day as it comes ay, recovery is waiting at the end of the road even though it's a long one!xxxxxxxxx

not too bad fizz, no major akathisia for a couple of days now, im riddled with debilitating symptoms but if that akathisia stays away I wont complain...managed to take my boy to the park today, although pushing him on the swing made me so unbalanced and dizzy and INSANE but I did it.

Im trying to keep histamine intake low and also to stabilise on this dose by not making any changes and taking at the same time every day etc.

I will pray for both of us, and everyone else who is suffering this torture

Does anyone think that extreme exhaustion could be attributed in some way to the huge amount of energy needed for brain healing to take place or am I just being random? Have been wiped out by fatigue for a while, wondering if its simply another symptom or a sign of some healing going on? Keeps me hopeful anyway. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

Does anyone think that extreme exhaustion could be attributed in some way to the huge amount of energy needed for brain healing to take place or am I just being random? Have been wiped out by fatigue for a while, wondering if its simply another symptom or a sign of some healing going on? Keeps me hopeful anyway. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

Fizz,I believe the body has built in survival mechanisms that prioritize and allocate energy. I've reached a level of exhaustion throughout this that is unlike anything I've known before... as if my body is FORCING me into a horizontal position. Knowing that I have cerebrovascular issues, I've wondered if it's my body's way of conserving energy for vital functions, including brain. I don't know, but I try to tune into my body far more than in the past.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Barb, I can so identify with how you are feeling. I find myself able to do bits and pieces then I MUST lie down in between times, my brain and body are demanding it. This is like nothing I've ever felt before. I have to take up my usual position on the couch and apologise to everyone! Lying quietly, not able to chat much, sometimes eyes shut. But I feel so weak, I HAVE to do it! Sending love. Xxxxxx

Managed 5 hours sleep last night, that was an achievement! Unfortunately, have really heavy bleeding again today, so disappointing, don't feel up to doing too much at all. Saw doctor yesterday and there could be 3 months or more of this after the coil has been put in, before improvement. What a carry on all of this is, it's so trying. Healing thoughts to everyone for today, hope it will be better than bearable and have some good moments. Xxxxxxxxx

Really fed up today, got less than two hours sleep and bleeding extremely heavily. Going to take some Tranexamic acid tablets in a bid to cut it down a bit. This is such a rough time at the moment, praying it gets better and praying for everyone else on here aswell. Big hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

Fizz,

I'm sorry this is such a terrible time. I hope you have a better day.

B~

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks Barb, I so love getting a reply, it makes my day! Like everyone else on here you can feel terribly alone in all this. I hardly ever used to be sick before withdrawal, it's an ongoing thing now! Hope you are not doing too badly, loads of love. Xxxxxxxxxx

Fizz, i am so sorry you are having such a rough time... but things will get better.. they have to... don't loose hope... no matter how hard it is right now, it will get better... take care of yourself and rest as much as you can..

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Barb and abir, I love you so much! If only I didn't have all this horrible bleeding, can't walk far or do much at all. Praying for it to let up, I would feel so much better, well, as good as you can be in withdrawal. I am so happy when I get replies, words of encouragement, you don't know how much it means to me! Thank you, sending loads of love. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Really fed up today, got less than two hours sleep and bleeding extremely heavily. Going to take some Tranexamic acid tablets in a bid to cut it down a bit. This is such a rough time at the moment, praying it gets better and praying for everyone else on here aswell. Big hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry, Fizz!

I just started today and a few days late....not a good sign. Here's hoping!

Try to rest as much as you can.

How are you today?

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Thanks for your reply duner, so kind of you. Still real heavy today, got about 3 hours sleep last night which is better than nothing! Managed to go shopping and have a cup of tea with a mate today. This bleeding is so frustrating though, it does limit you and get you down, praying for improvement. How was your day? Loads of love. Xxxxxxxxx

Hang in there! I'm glad you were able to get out a little. 

My day is up and down. Had a cup of hot chocolate and my anxiety shot up. Crazy how the sensitivities work. 

I'll brave the store. Not too worried about going though as tomorrow will be my heavy day. 

I hope the rest of your day improves.

Ay, stay off the hot chocolate! Sweet stuff makes me feel rotten aswell. I have juice, decaf tea or milk. Hope you sleep well and tomorrow is good for you. Hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

Need help! My doctors advising I really do not go for surgery (probably full hysterectomy), as it would be just too traumatic for me to deal with. However I am now taking 15 mg of Norethisterone (progesterone) a day in a desperate bid to stop this bleeding and it is still not working properly but making me feel very ill. This is not a long term solution either, but dangerous to stay on. What can I do? I am so scared, any advice please, or anyone's experience with surgery in withdrawal, don't know what to do anymore, have another doctors appointment on Thursday. Any replies would be so appreciated, I am very upset and desperate. Big hugs to everyone. Xxxxxxxxx

Fizz,

Which doctors are advising that surgery would be too traumatic? Do they mean emotionally or physically? Are your doctors communicating with one another?

I'm sorry I can't offer any knowledge on this subject but it seems that the blood loss would be of highest concern and priority.

My limited experience with oral surgery (anesthesia) during withdrawal was without problems. I've had other surgeries that were also without complications.

What part are you most concerned about?

I have several friends who had hysterectomies for excessive bleeding after other measures failed. They feel much better and very relieved.

Love and hugs.

B

It is my own personal doctor that is advising against it, to instead hold out on the Norethisterone as long as possible, hoping that the coil might begin being effective in another 2 to 6 months time. She knows my complete history, the problems since the c/t, the many symptoms such as severe fatigue, weakness, anxiety, inner vibrating, brain zaps, palpitations, etc, etc. Plus the inability to tolerate meds and probable anaesthesia complications. It is a major surgery for any healthy person, she is worried about the impact both physically and mentally. Going round in circles on this one, have already made the biggest mistake of my life in taking then discontinuing the Prozac, am terrified of making yet another one. Please, has anyone any input, would really appreciate it. Delighted you replied Barb. Lots of hugs. Xxxxxxxxxx

sorry Fizz, i am not knowledgeable in all this.. .but may i ask you how bad are your inner vibrations and brain zaps?

i am only asking because this would probably indicate how strong your WD symptoms are now... because as you know, severe blood loss can cause severe fatigue, weakness, even palpitations, so these are not necessarily caused primarily by WD...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Thanks for replying abir, really appreciate it! The zaps and vibrating is still strong after all this time. Fatigue, weakness, palpitations have been constant, even before this problem started months ago. Think something will have to be done though, it is getting really desperate now. I'm just very afraid, all those what ifs, if I don't come round or have a massive reaction to something, etc. Full of fear at the moment. Big hugs and lots of love. Xxxxxxxx

Have actually emailed Dr Shipko and also Peter Breggins team this morning. Outlined my history and fear of the impending major surgery. Basically asked for any advice or if they have any knowledge of a person undergoing big surgery in withdrawal. Maybe I will not get a reply or perhaps just one saying they are not prepared to give such medical advice. I do hope I get some answers, so scared, this would be a massive thing for me in my condition. Big hugs to everyone, hope today is good for you! Xxxxxxxxxxx

Well, Dr Shipko was kind enough to reply saying that he has no direct experience of a patient undergoing surgery. He thinks that anaesthetic may calm my system for a couple of days, similar to how a benzo would. Not sure what to think about that one, sounds a bit worrying to me. He says I most likely have tardive akathisia. I was impressed that he took time to reply and have thanked him. Hope today is going ok for everyone. Xxxxxxxx

fizz, did Dr Shipko say how long tardive akathisia may last?

i am thinking of you and wish I had some answers for you

I can't help but think though that the continual blood loss you experience is, in a sense making the withdrawal syndrome worse and more difficult to handle.

I wonder, even if the surgery did put you in a bad wave for a couple months, if after that you would experience some deeper healing not having to deal with extreme bleeding.

I couldn't imagine having to make a decision like that now.

You are very strong though and have already braved some really tough things.

Hang in there!

Fizz, Im not 100% but I think Hopeful on this forum may have had surgery during her bad withdrawal, perhaps you could PM her?

BTW - She has fully reovered and has put withdrawal behind her, I belive the surgery she had was during the worst part of her w/d

Thanks so much Iggy and duner for your kind replies. Have just written to Hopeful, really hope she doesn't mind, I'm doing everything on my iPhone and don't know how to PM! No, Dr Shipko didn't mention how long the condition may last, it wasn't a lengthy reply. Sure, the bleeding isn't helping one bit on top of everything else, the progesterone is helping but makes me feel rotten AND my hair is falling out like mad. Guess I'm just putting it off as long as poss through pure fear of going into that theatre, getting knocked out and the severe pain etc afterwards. Never thought i'd be in a situation like this, reckoned on a snails pace recovery without this particular bump in the road. Thank you so much for your help, really hoping to hear from Hopeful. Big hugs. Xxxxxxxx

• Administrator

Hi Fizz

Can you get a second opinion?  Is there anything else they can do besides operate? 

I am considering oral surgery and am researching each drug they plan to prescribe before I sign up for anything.  My withdrawals have been extremely mild except for a bout of severe withdrawal in the fall of 2011, but it was enough that I proceed with great caution.  Can you do a little more research?  Perhaps talk to an anesthesiologist to see what they recommend or if they have ever had a patient that was in prolonged withdrawal?  I don't know what the health care system is like where you live, but I would ask a lot of questions.

On another note, I take progesterone, but I am post menopausal ... and I have taken it for years without problems.  I do find that I do better if I keep my estrogen and progesterone balanced in a 60:1 ratio.  But I'm not sure if your doctors are trying to balance your system or are using progesterone to counter something else that is happening with your system.  Otherwise, maybe they can try to balance out the side effects of the progesterone.

I am so sorry I don't have anything else to offer.  You are in a very difficult situation because not many doctors are familiar with prolonged antidepressant withdrawal, but if I were you I wouldn't let that stop me from asking questions and trying to get some reassurances.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Thanks so much Karma for your advice. I am having to take 15mg progesterone daily to slow bleeding , it's a whacking dose but anything else won't do it and apparently any estrogen would just make it worse. I should imagine anaesthetic and pain relief is discussed at the pre admission apptment, if we decide to go ahead. As to whether there is an anaesthetist here that's worked with patients in withdrawal, I would have to ask, you never know, there just might be. Oh, please, does anyone know how to PM somebody from iPhone, I haven't got a clue how to do it and was wishing to contact Hopeful. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

Been trying again on our Mac PC, to work out how to PM somebody. Just cannot find that little letter icon under members names. Can anyone help? ! Hugs. Xxxxxx

Have been doing my homework! Just emailed the Royal College of Anaesthetists asking for advice about this situation, really hope I get a reply! Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

good for you hun, did you manage to PM hopeful? I have also emailed her for you just in case as she very kindly has supported me in the past xx

Iggy, you're amazing, can't thank you enough for doing that! Have pm'd Hopeful, would be brilliant if she replies. The College answered, they've forwarded my email to a Clinical Advisor, may be a week or more to hear anything as she's on hol at moment. I am blown away by how helpful everyone is being at this frightening time. Loads of love. Xxxxxxx

please dont thank me, i only wish I could do more.

perhaps you could also email Dr Healy, he always answers emails. xx I will PM you his email address now