greymatter Trying to come off Citalopram after 10+ years

greymatter

Finding a Dr who would prescribe the liquid celexa for me was a game changer... tapering by small increments was SO much easier... I was able to decrease by .05 in the end!

(For me, I got so frustrated with tapering and cutting up the pills, making the liquid out of the pills was too much for me to face- I couldnt seem to make myself do it even though I knew that making large decreases wasn't going to work well.  I know it was not logical, but it was a big road block for me.)

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

Hi Greymatter

I'm going to follow your thread as I'm also tapering citalopram....I too feel so impatient and just want to be of this drug now, but I also know that doing it to fast will only make me crash and do not want my tapering to fail, so I'm taking it slow.

I cut down from 40 mg to 30 mg and then (before I found this forum) after a week down again to 20 mg.....not good so I updosed to 30 mg (as advised by Rhi) and will hold here for a few months before tapering again.....

How are you feeling now after updosing to 5 mg?

End of June 2013: Reduced Cipramil from 40 mg to 30 mg. Still on 25 mg of Noritren. Didn't feel any w/d symptoms.

15/07/13: Reduced Cipramil to 20 mg. This time I did feel w/d symptoms. A couple of days of feeling depersonalized, kind of in a bubble. Nervous stomach coming and going, fluttering feelings in the chest/heart also coming and going. Tired for a few days but then gaining more energy. A few days of restless legs, like an electric current buzzing in my legs.

16/08/13: Updosed Cipramil to 30 mg due to w/d symptoms like an overactive stomach, a bit of anxiety and a lowering in mood. The updose helped my stomach symptoms within 4 hours and after 4 days it had helped with all my w/d symptoms. 22/10/13: 25 mg Cipramil. 03/11/13: 20 mg Cipramil.

31/12/13: 17,5 mg Cipramil. 29/01/14: 15 mg Cipramil. 27/02/14: 12,5 mg Cipramil. 27/03/14: 12 mg Cipramil. 27/04/14: 11 mg Cipramil. 26/05/14: 10 mg Cipramil. 28/06/14: 9 mg Cipramil. 08/07/14: 8 mg Cipramil. 22/07/14: 7 mg Cipramil. 13/08/14: 22,5 mg Noritren 27/08/14: 6 mg Cipramil 20 mg Noritren 28/09/14: 5 mg Cipramil 28/10/14: 4 mg Cipramil 28/11/14: 3 mg Cipramil 28/12/14: 2 mg Cipramil 28/01/15: 1 mg Cipramil 25/02/15: 0 mg Cipramil

• Moderator Emeritus

Grey, you may want to factor in the fact that the rational, decision-making part of your brain is probably not functioning correctly right now due to withdrawal. (This is typical and totally happens to me in withdrawal.)

The safest and most rational choice that I would make in your position would be to go back up to the 10 mg and then get the liquid to taper down at 10% increments, OR make my own liquid and go back up to at least 9 mg, and then taper down slowly from there.  

I agree, you have reached a dosage level where breaking up tablets is no longer practical (although you could probably continue to dry cut if you got a milligram scale.)

Your reinstatement to 5 mg has probably saved you some pretty severe problems down the road, but it's still a 50% cut from 10 mg, which for someone with a history like yours is something that I have never seen work for people. You said yourself you crashed with that drop and it was too big a drop.  Please consider these thoughts, we want to save you from a great deal of suffering.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 months later...

If anyone is reading this thread this is a warning not to do what I did and rush things at the end. I did well with the tapering for 8 or 9 months, there were occasional blips but nothing that a bit of updosing couldn't remedy. Being me though at the end I just wanted to be off the tablets and rashly stopped instead of gradually tapering the final doses. Big mistake. Over 2 months since I stopped totally and the anxiety is extreme. Last week it was so bad I bought some anti histamine tablets as I'd read that they can reduce anxiety symptoms. It did slightly take the edge off. I took one tablet a day for 4 days then thought 'what the hell am I doing?' . I don't want to become addicted to antihistamines after all those months coming off Citalopram, that would defeat the object.Frankly I feel like crap, I really do. The anxiety is all physical; thumping heart all the time, tremulous, shaky sensation in upper body, tearfulness. I'm not going back on the Citalopram, I don't care how bad it gets. I started taking Magnesium Citrate about a fortnight ago, no noticeable improvement there. Maybe I need to increase the amount I'm taking.I'm not expecting solutions from anyone, just wanted to warn people not to rush the final stages of tapering. 

On & off antidepressants since 1996, Dothiepin,(Dosulepin) Prozac, then changed to Paroxetine
On Citalopram 2001 for a few months, stopped suddenly.
Back on Citalopram 2003 - Jan 2013 3 unsuccessful attempts to withdraw in that time
Up until January 2013 on 40mg January - March 2013 30mg no noticeable effects 
April 2013 dropped to 20mg Insomnia, diarrhoea, vivid nightmares at first, now passed but continual anxiety
April rd 2013 up again to 25mg to see if anxiety improves Did improve after about a week

May th 2013  down to 20mg again felt 'down' for a week then ok 

July 1 2013 dropped to 15mg. (No bad symptoms)

August 1 2013 dropped to 10mg. (No symptoms noticed) August 24th 2013 dropped to 5mg. Anxious

September 10 2013 stopped taking it completely. Feeling bad - tearful, irritable, electric shock sensations

September 13 2013 back on 5mg October 4th 2013 stopped completely. Electric shock sensations in chest for 10 days. Since then extreme anxiety

26 Jan 2014 Reinstated 10mg. Took for 4 days. Extreme anxiety 30 Jan 2014 Setraline 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry it's gone this way for you after tapering. I know how you feel because I did the same thing

and stopped too soon. I was down to just 5 beads from a capsule and stupidly thought it was ok.

A month later I was crippled with withdrawal. I reinstated and felt better within a day or 2 but it was 7

months before stabilising enough to restart tapering. 

I know you don't want to reinstate but it could be an option for you, even at a tiny dose just to take

the edge off withdrawal, it's best to reinstate ASAP but could still help. 

Withdrawal tends to come in waves that subside

and windows that are periods of feeling  from ok to great. You can read about that here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Fish oil helps many people with the brain zaps and dizziness, It has helped me too. 

Whatever you do I hope you feel better very soon.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you for responding mammaPI haven't reinstated, it's almost as if I have this perverse feeling of needing to suffer this withdrawal. It doesn't make any sense, I'm not a masochist. I'm aware that I'm not thinking rationally.

On & off antidepressants since 1996, Dothiepin,(Dosulepin) Prozac, then changed to Paroxetine
Back on Citalopram 2003 - Jan 2013 3 unsuccessful attempts to withdraw in that time
April 2013 dropped to 20mg Insomnia, diarrhoea, vivid nightmares at first, now passed but continual anxiety
April rd 2013 up again to 25mg to see if anxiety improves Did improve after about a week

August 1 2013 dropped to 10mg. (No symptoms noticed) August 24th 2013 dropped to 5mg. Anxious

September 10 2013 stopped taking it completely. Feeling bad - tearful, irritable, electric shock sensations

September 13 2013 back on 5mg October 4th 2013 stopped completely. Electric shock sensations in chest for 10 days. Since then extreme anxiety

26 Jan 2014 Reinstated 10mg. Took for 4 days. Extreme anxiety 30 Jan 2014 Setraline 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Most people feel the same way, none of us want to take this poison, it is completely opposite of

craving a drug, it's a real aversion to it! I feel sick every time I pick up a capsule and break it open

to get my beads out but know the withdrawal would be horrendous.  :huh:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi GM.....

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  If you dropped off at 5mgs.and decided to do a 5mg. reinstatement think of how minor a dose that is.  It may help you with the anxiety,  What I am saying is that it is a tiny amount to taper down from after a reinstatement and in the long run it should help lessen your anxiety in a shorter amount of time.

Best regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

A reinstatement now would need to be even less than 5mg , maybe even 1mg

because over 2 months have passed and you would need to start very low.

It could still help but no guarantees.  Like Nikki said it could make things easier for you. 

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

I agree with mammaP.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It's been about 10 weeks since the last dose. The palpitations are constant, whether I'm sitting still, swimming, lying in bed, chatting to someone. All the time. If I don't start taking citalopram again (and I REALLY don't want to) will the palpitations eventually stop? Are we talking more months of them, years? Forever?

Hi greymatter,

The palpitations may be part of the withdrawal you are probably going through. I know they got really bad for me this summer, about 8 months off meds. I just lived with them. They got really bad when withdrawal kinked in a big way for me in November. I found that if I took mag citrate powder in water they have pretty much gone away and I hardly feel them anymore. I have to be careful not to take too much as it tends to make me kind of 'numb' feeling. I started out small and worked up to about 500mg per day. The product I use is called 'Calm'.

Here's a link to the topic here on it: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

It may or may not work for you but you could give it a try. I keep some mixed up by my bed at night and drink a little when I get up to go to the bathroom.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

greymatter, we've been urging you to updose since mid-September. Even a very small amount might alleviate the palpitations.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out ways to cope with withdrawal symptoms. There aren't any easy answers to this. It's up to you what you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the link cymbaltawithdrawal5600, I did give the magnesium citrate a half hearted try a few weeks ago but I am now going to try it properly.

Altostrata, yes I'm sure I should have listened and updosed way back when I was first told to. Now that it's about 10 weeks since I stopped completely I imagined I've missed my window of opportunity.

The only withdrawal symptom that I'm finding very difficult is the palpitations / pounding heart. I've stopped labelling it as anxiety because mentally I don't feel anxious, it is just this thumping heart beat that is pissing me off. I associate the physical symptom with anxiety but I'm not actually anxious any more. 

• Administrator

It's not necessarily the case you cannot updose, carefully, at this point. If you do it, I would start with perhaps 1mg.

Those heart symptoms are concerning. Are you taking magnesium and fish oil? Do you eat lots of green vegetables?

I've just started taking Magnesium Citrate. Recently I've not been eating many green vegetables or taking fish oils. Those are changes I can make quite easily.

• 5 weeks later...

So I ignored all the good advice and didn't reinstate. It's now 3 months and 22 days since I completely stopped taking citalopram and things are getting worse. Can this really still be  discontinuation syndrome? I feel like it's full blown anxiety and depression again. Anxiety is constant. Palpitations every day, and recently bouts of uncontrollable crying. I feel like utter sh*t. Of course it's my own fault, everyone was telling me I should reinstate back in September but I kept thinking the bad symptoms would eventually pass. I didn't expect them to escalate. 

Is it too late to reinstate? If it's not too late then how many milligrams? 

I feel like a failure even thinking about taking them again. 

• Administrator

That sounds exactly like withdrawal syndrome. Please re-read this topic to decide how much to reinstate.

Thanks for responding Altostrata.

I feel utterly defeated by these symptoms and I cannot live like this anymore. I've just taken 10mg Citalopram. I don't know if it's the right amount. Might be too much having been on nothing for nearly 4 months. Anyway I've taken it. Anything to get rid of feeling like this. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello greymatter,

it is very brave of you to admit your mistake.

The greatness of a human is not in not falling but in getting up after the fall (or something like that ;)

I greately admire you for that. Reinstating is not failure but a smart thing to do that will eventually bring you to where we all want to be.

I'm relatively new here but from reading other people's stories, if the dose you took is too high (which it might be...), you will soon feel some signs and then can decide to decrease it till you find the dose that suits you (I'm far from being an expert but looking at your history 5 mg might have been enough)...

In any case, welcome back!

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks Bubble

Quite embarrassed to post this update. I've made a complete and utter mess of withdrawal, yet again. I reinstated 10mg of Citalopram on Sunday and then followed 4 of the worst days of my life. Panic feelings in the extreme, thumping heart, crying, not wanting to live. Yesterday I saw a GP. She said she thought my state was a combination of withdrawing from Citalopram, my hormones being all over the place due to menopause, and my current life circumstances which I'm powerless to change.  She asked me what I wanted her to do for me. She has referred me for CBT but said the waiting list is very long and she prescribed me the lowest possible dose of Sertraline, 50mg. 
I'm probably doing the wrong thing again in taking it. I don't know. But I just cannot go on like this. All those years I was on the Citalopram I felt stable. Perhaps I just have to face that I'm going to be stuck on antidepressants for the rest of my life. I see no way out of it at the moment. I cannot adequately put into words how awful I feel.

I have heard that question before and it is awful "what do you want me to do for you?"  Not nice.  If we had the answers we wouldn't need doctors.

Citalopram can be very stimulating.  Maybe the 10 was too much.  Can you give yourself another few days to see if you settle down a bit and then try to step down from 10 to 9 and see if that helps. 

So sorry this happened....Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear GM,

look at what I wrote below. 

you will feel some signs that the dose is too high: then followed 4 of the worst days of my life. Panic feelings in the extreme, thumping heart, crying, not wanting to live.

I would say these were the signs...

I have come to see people on this site like Alto and others much more knowledgeable about pmeds than any pdoc, GP, etc.

Personally for me, when I have difficulties or want to change something about my medication, I consult the people here.

The general wisdom here is that stopping one medication and taking the other is extremely bad decision. Taking another medication doesn't mean that your CNS will not be cold turkeyed off the previous one. Adding new drugs into the mixture, creates equal havoc. CNS heals through stability we allow it.

My advice would also be like Nikki's: no new drugs, lower the dose to 9 mg, wait for 4 days to see the effects, if you still have symptoms, decrease more till you find the dose that you are comfortable with and where you can hold and allow your CNS to heal before you can start an informed taper.

You can do it! This will pass.

We are always here and every post gets a quick reply so make use of our willingness to help others who are in a similar distress we are/ were. 

Hello greymatter,

it is very brave of you to admit your mistake.

The greatness of a human is not in not falling but in getting up after the fall (or something like that ;)

I greately admire you for that. Reinstating is not failure but a smart thing to do that will eventually bring you to where we all want to be.

I'm relatively new here but from reading other people's stories, if the dose you took is too high (which it might be...), you will soon feel some signs and then can decide to decrease it till you find the dose that suits you (I'm far from being an expert but looking at your history 5 mg might have been enough)...

In any case, welcome back!

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

It sounds like 10mg citalopram was much too activating for you. 2.5mg might have been sufficient.

How do you feel on 50mg sertraline?

Altostrata,
I'm crying intermittently and I still feel anxious but the palpitations are beginning to lessen. While I feel awful I think I feel less awful than I did 2 or 3 days ago.

• Administrator

I guess that's better. It will take about 4 days for the sertraline to fully register. Please let us know how you're doing.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have heard that question before and it is awful "what do you want me to do for you?"  Not nice.  If we had the answers we wouldn't need doctors.

Me too and yes it is awful, in hindsight, I wish I had paid more attention to this comment and realized that what I was being told was that this person didn't have a clue how to help me, but wasn't willing to admit it. 

It took me a long time to realize that there are some things which can't be fixed by other people, no matter how many letters they have after their name.  I just wish that more 'professionals' had the integrity and humility to know their limitations and admit them, so don't feel bad Greymatter, you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation.

I'm glad you are feeling a little better.

If you really want to get off these drugs, you can do it and we will be here to help.  It wont be easy, but as far as I know, the information and support you find here is the best help you are going to find.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

While I still feel like crap, I do think I see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's a minor improvement but it's there. 
I want to thank this board for the good advice I received (even though I stupidly chose to ignore it). 

• Administrator

Please let us know how you are doing.

• 3 months later...

I feel your pain.

Been on many and various AD's since 92. Began Lexapro, a life saver, in 08. Began taper Aug 13 - Oct 13. Terrible time with the withdrawal.