Psychologists attack psychiatrists

elbillingino

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/may/12/psychiatrists-under-fire-mental-health

About time!!!

Not sure if this needs to be moved to In the Media? Sorry ... long day ...

February 2004 - mid 2005 - 50 mg zoloft.

Mid 2005 - lexapro 20mg (3 months) Discontinued SSRIs for a few months - withdrawal.

20mg paxil towards end of 2005 for few weeks - borderline psychosis - lasted until Nay 2006.

Restarted sertraline in early 2006, ending up on 200mg. Down to 100mg in 2009 - stabilised at that dose for a couple of years.

Updosed to 150mg for a few weeks in 2012, before a psychiatrist put me back down to 100mg (no taper!)

Too fast taper off zoloft 100mg between May/June 2012 and September/October. Withdrawal started end of December 2012.

Tried to reinstate zoloft March 2012 50 mg - worsened.

Stemetil 5mg during an acute phase of labyrinthitis/vertigo in early 2011. Haven't taken since mid 2012.

While I am against labels and view mainstream psychiatry in a negative light, I still believe that sometimes it is not "all in our heads". By that I mean, there are some things like nutrient deficiencies, toxicity, digestion problems , allergies, etc that can very well manifest themselves as "mental illness" and no amount of talk therapy will overcome those and make you well unless you get to the root cause. Whether you want to call these things biological problems, metabolic problems, biochemical problems, etc, there are very real issues that can cause us to feel depressed, anxious, paranoid, etc.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Moderator Emeritus

This is fantastic! If I ever become a psychologist, I'm moving to England.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

My apologies to the Republicans on this site but I thought folks might want to know that this issue is being discussed on Democratic Underground. As you will see, there are people who agree with us. Unfortunately, there are the critics who swear that science has proven over several years that mental illness is biological and how dare anyone question that. Of course, I would love to see what they view as unquestionable proof.

By the way, just so people know, I think that both sides of the political aisle are dangerous regarding our causes. States of all political stripes have passed tougher mental health commitment laws or are threatening to what would make it easier to force people with "mental illness" to have treatment against their will.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014481235

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

While I am against labels and view mainstream psychiatry in a negative light, I still believe that sometimes it is not "all in our heads". By that I mean, there are some things like nutrient deficiencies, toxicity, digestion problems , allergies, etc that can very well manifest themselves as "mental illness" and no amount of talk therapy will overcome those and make you well unless you get to the root cause. Whether you want to call these things biological problems, metabolic problems, biochemical problems, etc, there are very real issues that can cause us to feel depressed, anxious, paranoid, etc.

Agree 100% although it is only in withdrawal that I have experienced this physiological "depression", anxiety, paranoia. Previously, my issues would have benefitted from talk therapy rather than muted.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

By the way, just so people know, I think that both sides of the political aisle are dangerous regarding our causes. States of all political stripes have passed tougher mental health commitment laws or are threatening to what would make it easier to force people with "mental illness" to have treatment against their will.

This reality was a blow to me. In the past, I aligned very well with the Left, but it seems they aren't all informed about mental illness either. It's strange how people on the Left can obsession over some human rights violations but ignore this one.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

This reality was a blow to me. In the past, I aligned very well with the Left, but it seems they aren't all informed about mental illness either. It's strange how people on the Left can obsession over some human rights violations but ignore this one.

Same here Finn. It is extremely discouraging and demoralizing.

By the way, Philip Dawdy, who owned the now defunct Furious Seasons Blog, used to post some of his blog entries on the Daily Kos, another liberal site for folks not familiar with it. He did not get a good reception.

I don't know anything about Furious Seasons, except what a quick Google search now told me. Why did it go over poorly?

From my cursory reading of the comments of the Democratic Underground thread, it seems like people were taking this as a personal attack. The opinion was like in order for a decision in mental health to be valid or justified it has to be what everyone does. It's not a personal attack if someone else with the same "condition" defines it differently or treats it another way. We all should have the chance to define our personal narrative, not have any shoved down our throat in order to support someone else's designs.

More fun is that mainstream psych sites aren't mentioning this. Like, whether or not you acknowledge it, this is part of the conversation!

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

I don't know anything about Furious Seasons, except what a quick Google search now told me. Why did it go over poorly?

From my cursory reading of the comments of the Democratic Underground thread, it seems like people were taking this as a personal attack. The opinion was like in order for a decision in mental health to be valid or justified it has to be what everyone does. It's not a personal attack if someone else with the same "condition" defines it differently or treats it another way. We all should have the chance to define our personal narrative, not have any shoved down our throat in order to support someone else's designs.

More fun is that mainstream psych sites aren't mentioning this. Like, whether or not you acknowledge it, this is part of the conversation!

Hi Finn,

Actually, Furious Seasons was a very popular site that attracted a diverse audience. Unfortunately, I think Philip finally got tired of writing about mental health issues and was burnt out.

I do understand folks taking things as a personal attack because I definitely did that when I was on meds. I felt like what I was dealing with was being invalidated. Or perhaps I was scared to question too much my being on meds. Hard to say but I do remember those days:)

Yup, mainstream psychiatry is totally ignoring this. I guess they feel if it is ignored, it will go away.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

We all should have the chance to define our personal narrative, not have any shoved down our throat in order to support someone else's designs.

Amen, sister.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Agreed. They do tend to be more receptive than those on the right, but nonetheless, they don't really understand. Does anyone unless they've been through it?

February 2004 - mid 2005 - 50 mg zoloft.

Mid 2005 - lexapro 20mg (3 months) Discontinued SSRIs for a few months - withdrawal.

20mg paxil towards end of 2005 for few weeks - borderline psychosis - lasted until Nay 2006.

Restarted sertraline in early 2006, ending up on 200mg. Down to 100mg in 2009 - stabilised at that dose for a couple of years.

Updosed to 150mg for a few weeks in 2012, before a psychiatrist put me back down to 100mg (no taper!)

Too fast taper off zoloft 100mg between May/June 2012 and September/October. Withdrawal started end of December 2012.

Tried to reinstate zoloft March 2012 50 mg - worsened.

Stemetil 5mg during an acute phase of labyrinthitis/vertigo in early 2011. Haven't taken since mid 2012.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy