Tanya: Thyroid and wd

Tanya

Hi my name is Tanya and I've been on seroxat for 15 years,I've tried twice to come off and had to have physiciatric help and then back up to the 40 mg.

My history is very long and complicated but in short I have severe M.E,no thyroid and had a stroke four years ago,my husband of twenty years left me a year ago ,and in still trying to get my thyroid levels right.i hate being on seroxat as I've gained six stone on it and have no libido at all.

I want to start trying to reduce it and this time be succesfull.is there any suppliments I should start? I can get the liquid prescribed and I'd like to reduce by 5% . Is there hope of coming off this drug?

Tanya.xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tanya,

Welcome to this forum.  There's no need to be nervous, all of us here are in the same situation in one way or another. 

It sounds like you have been through a difficult time, I'm sorry you've had to deal with all of this.

With the help here, you will be able to come off seroxat, it may take a while, but you will be able to do it.  I was on Lexapro for over 13 years and tried 4 times to stop taking it, but couldn't.  I finally managed by tapering.  But I didn't know about this site then, and tapered too fast.

Here is a link with information for tapering off Seroxat (also known as Paxil)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/?hl=seroxat

If you put your drug history in your signature, it makes it easier for members to be able to offer advice and support.  Instructions for how to do that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Some people find magnesium to be helpful, here is a link with some information about it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of us have found omega-3 fatty acids, commonly found in fish oil capsules, help withdrawal symptoms, more information can be found here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Others will be along soon with more help and support :)

I hope you feel better very soon.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Tanta,

Welcome aboard! I hope a lessening of your troubles is in your future!

One of our members, Gia, recently posted about a book that has pulled a lot of ideas together for me, Unravelling CFS. I believe it is only available in the US as an e book, but since it was written in Great Britain, it might be available in hard copy there. If his premises are correct, you already have cortisol issues as an ME patient. That can also be an issue in withdrawing from an AD, so you might want to look in the forums for information in advance, especially for info on reducing cortisol flooding (and waking up early feeling awful) at first light. More info on the book is available at Gia's website, www.beyondmeds.com.

I also found the paper Harm Reduction to be helpful early on, although I would point out that this website recommends decreasing doses at 10% of the last dose, not 10% of the starting dose.

Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Tanya.

What is ME? (I feel like I should know this..)

All the best to you. You've landed in a great place that I wish I had found sooner.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Tanya, and welcome to the forum. Tapering Serotax (Paxil here in the USA) at 5% is a good plan.  Here's our general topic on tapering:

Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?

Please note that you don't have to start at 10% - that's a maximum and many people find 10% is too much of a cut at once.  And yes, you can get off of Serotax and get off of it comfortably by taking things slowly and gradually.  It's important to listen to one's body and stop tapering when withdrawal symptoms set in, or even updose a bit at that point. 40 mg. is a high dose of Serotax, so I would be especially careful in your place.  I'm glad to see that you can get the liquid.  That will make things far easier.

I don't know what M.E. is, either. ?

You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here.  Again, welcome.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Found this link which might be it:

http://www.mecfs.org.au/what-is-meorcfs

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a severe, complex, acquired illness with numerous symptoms related mainly to the dysfunction of the brain, gastro-intestinal, immune, endocrine and cardiac systems. ME has been classified as a neurological disorder in the World Health Organisation's International Classification of Diseases  since 1969 (ICD 10 G93.3).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there hope of coming off this drug?

Yes!  As the others have already said, pacing yourself is key.  It sounds like you're already preparing for a slower taper, which is terrific.  So sorry to hear about your husband and your poor health.  Please let us know how the taper goes or if you have any more questions.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

I'm on 40 mg seroxat and want to start tapering down,do I switch solely to liquid or try to work with both the liquid and tablets?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tanya,

I merged this topic with your introduction.

If you have the liquid I'd say use that. I'd suggest using one or the other.

I made a liquid out of my tablets but only because the liquid form of my medication wasn't readily available.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask if any of you suffer with other health conditions like.M,E and thyroid problems? I have both of these which causes daily struggles and I'm terrified of making my life worse with wd and unbearable to cope ,but I'm desperate to come off seroxat.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tanya,

I think there are some members here who also have CFS, which is what ME is called in the US.  I apologize if I have that wrong.  Here is the link to your original post with some replies:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4741-tanya-tapering-seroxat/#entry59301

There was a reply from Meimeiquest with some information about a book,  I think this is the link to what she was suggesting:

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/07/24/ans-and-interaction/

I can understand your concern with starting to taper off medication, given your other health conditions, but I think that by taking it very slowly, it should still be possible.

More experienced help should be along soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Tanya,

i have CFS and hashimoto's.. i have been on ADs for CFS for more than 17 years and i felt that they made my fatigue and brain fog worse in the last 7 years...so i tried to stop taking them but i did not do it in the right way... i knew nothing at all about withdrawal.... i went from 100mg to 0mg in 2 months and 1 week..and so i have been struggling with WD for the last few months and my CFS symptoms got much worse too.....  but again, i tapered too fast, i did not give my body enough time to recover...

it is good that you are researching withdrawal before you make your decision.. on one hand, tapering/stopping the meds is going to put your body under a lot of stress and this naturally is going to make your symptoms worse and you would also have to deal with withdrawal symptoms... but, on the other hand, these meds are definitely doing harm to our bodies, they negatively affect our mood, energy level, motivation, concentration, memory....etc....

and tapering properly is very important...tapering the right way is supposed to reduce the severity and the duration of your withdrawal symptoms... also, when you do it slowly, you can ge a feel of how the cut is affecting you so you would be able to slow down, take a break or even increase the dose a bit if the symptoms becomes unbrearable ...so basically you would have more control ...

if you decide to go ahead and start tapering, make sure to check your iron, B12, zinc, vitamin D, thyroid..etc.. and correct them before you start tapering... it is hard to start taking new supplements while you are already in withdrawal, since you become even more sensitive to drug, supplements or even food while in withdrawal...

good luck with your decision... you are already doing the right thing but researching and asking questions...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

it is very hard for me to write or think - but i will try to describe it a bit...it is basically this constant and complete exhaustion - i am in bed most of the time - i am in bed for days in a row... i just need to shut down, physically and mentally for most of the time, like i don't really exist... i am exhausted and out of breath even when lying down... but the mental aspect of it is even harder to deal with - every little thought or feeling is too much to handle... i can't concentrate at all.. even thinking about and planning in my mind how i am going to make a salad is too much...

and now with the withdrawal, my other symptoms got worse too, like my joints pain and even i am getting recurrent UTIs now like i did the first couple of years after i got sick!!

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Administrator

Hi Tanya

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis ... I also have celiac disease and adrenal insufficiency.  Fortunately I caught this before it became CFS ... but I was certainly on my way.

For me I got my thyroid balanced before I started weaning off of my SSRI.  Here is a thread I started on thyroid http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1593-thyroid-symptoms/?hl=thyroid ... there may be something helpful here for you.

Note that I no longer have brain fog, my memory is sharp, I have energy and my other thyroid symptoms have resolved ... now I am slowly weaning off of Effexor and I am currently at only 4% of my original dose.

Welcome to the forum ... and my best advice is only to change one thing at a time and give that a week or two to see how it works out.  Only then try to change something else.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers