Creatine

Cookson

Now you are properly think what is creatine? I myself take this supplement for my weight lifting.

Creatine is an amino acid found in all meats and is taken by bodybuilders and athletes however in recent years It has become apparent of its 'brain boosting' effects on cognition.

How does It work? Well without over complicating this matter but more because I lack a degree in biochemistry I will do my best at explaining simply!

On the cellular levels practically all are body processes are run by ATP.

ATP is simply the stored energy In are tissue that is converted and obtained from the foods we eat. Its is the fuel of the body.

What one of creatine's anabolic property is that it increase the amount of stored ATP dramatically to simply allow the body to work harder for longer and delay the onset of fatigue. This in turn supplies the brain with more energy. 

Another one of creatine anabolic properties is that is increases water retention within cells which in turn increases the amount of ions.

Besides this increasing the rate of protein synthesis, the increased amount of ions critically allows are neurons to work more quickly and efficiently!  

However the positive effects will begin to slow down towards the 6 week mark so that's why its cycled like I do. 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.

Creatine can be found In any sports or health food shop or online.

Below I have posted links that provide studies of improving cognitive function/welling being e.t.c

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865560081/Creatine-does-more-than-build-muscles-it-helps-treat-depression-U-researchers-say.html?pg=all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3145223.stm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/08/030813070944.htm

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

• Administrator

I haven't heard of this helping withdrawal symptoms. If it does help, please let us know.

Some amino acids can be stimulating and make symptoms worse.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes their wont be any data on that. Creatine in its synthetic form is relatively new being on the consumer market for only the last 20 years. And its 'brain enhancing' effects are still very much only just fully being looked into and understood.

Yes, will do. Am on my 'off' cycle currently so will keep this post updated when I resume.

I agree. But their are many variables that need to be accounted for before we can assume that it is simply classed as a 'positive' or 'negative' reaction.

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

• 3 months later...

Summer before last, two doctors tried to get me to commit myself to inpatient care within the space of a week (kept thinking about hanging myself, over and over. Funny, I never did that before the Effexor). I couldn't focus enough to get any work done, either. That was when the study on creatine and depression came out. All things considered, it seemed like it would be worth a shot.

It pulled me out of that rut within a few days; I stopped wanting to die constantly and started getting things done. I eventually discontinued after 6 months— too activating. I felt better after quitting, then slowly things got worse again, but not anything like what they had been. I've taken it intermittently since. So yes, it seems to work for me; it is one of the few things that has been effective.

It is supposed to be dopaminergic. There was a 2012 study of athletes that found that it increased dopamine levels post-workout, but prevented a post-workout serotonin boost. 

• 9 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy