Realzman: Tapering low dosage of Prozac

Realzman

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Realzman said:

All my health stuff was checked out to rule other causes.

Did they check out ALL your vitamin and mineral levels?

6 hours ago, Realzman said:

To me the loss of joy and lack of interest is unbearable and unlivable. Also for how long my son may be alive I am not enjoying him.

Part of what you are experiencing may be what I call "pre-grieving".  I went through periods of this before my husband's death.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I had everything checked. Thyroid, test, vitamins, ect. 

It is definitely a depression. I wasn’t sad and we are still fighting for him. I was very happy before. 

I guess I hoped for more some stories as depression is real. 

All all I can ask for is prayers for my boy and me. I need the depression to lift. 

2013 October Xanax .5mg

2014 January Prozac 8mg

• Administrator

Maybe you are sad now. Sadness is real.

Sorry, we don't have a solution for depression. You have the same choices as ever: Figure out how to cope with it or take drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Now. I am not sad. There is no low mood. Just no pleasure and no interest. A total shutdown.

I am suffering. Most of every day I don’t think I will make it.  My flared up ocd has caused a fixation on the anhedonia. My thoughts all day are on this depression. I am not coping well. Tried CBT and even one infusion of Ketamine in desperation but it didn’t help. 

All the best to all those suffering on here. I hope you have success. 

2013 October Xanax .5mg

2014 January Prozac 8mg

• Administrator

Nothing is going to instantly fix you, you are in a bad situation, feeling down is natural.

Sleep disruption alone can cause the condition you describe.

Strongly recommend non-drug psychotherapy for the "OCD". You are clearly fixated on the idea that you have "depression." There is no better way to guarantee "depression" than to obsess about it night and day. It sounds like you have health anxiety.

You might look into Dialectical Behavior Therapy. You have a lot to accept.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

my page on rethinking depression cut and pasted below...it doesn't deny the feelings that get called that at all...but it demythologizes the rush to pathologize

there is no such thing as a monolithic state called depression

People often want to believe that depression has some distinct pathology. It does not. Clinical depression is very much a garbage pail term for feeling sh*tty and that may manifest in a large number of ways and have many different combinations of etiologies.

it

Depression is always a mixture of many things…there is no such thing as a monolithic state called depression…the fact that people imagine that is the case, is a problem.

The biggest reason it’s a problem is because psychiatry did a criminal disservice when it created the myth of the chemical imbalance. At best the chemical imbalance theory is a gross reductionism. At worst, people, having been misguided to take drugs that do nothing towards healing their body/minds. While on occasion some people do find some relief the fact remains that these medications can instead gravely harm people and often do. This fact is largely denied by established psychiatry even though there is a lot of documentation now that establishes it as fact. See: What your MD should tell you about SSRI antidepressants

Depression also often contains many different feelings. Using a term like “clinical depression” obfuscates the reality. It can be: despair, loneliness, helplessness, melancholy, pain, anguish, discouragement, misery, sorrow, wretchedness, shame…

It can also be experienced as complete and total numbness. No conscious sense of any feeling at all. An internal deadness. The term depression obfuscates and distances in this way.

Call depression what it really is: Despair, loneliness, helplessness, melancholy, pain, anguish, discouragement, misery, sorrow, wretchedness, shame…

The term depression obfuscates and distances…it’s meaningless

another take:

this is what William Styron wrote about the word “depression“:

“for over seventy-five years the word has slithered innocuously through the language like a slug, leaving little trace of its intrinsic malevolence and preventing, by its very insipidity, a general awareness of the horrible intensity of the disease when out of control.”  (from Vanity Fair, Darkness Visible)

Here William Styron further expresses his experience:

What I had begun to discover is that, mysteriously and in ways that are totally remote from normal experience, the gray drizzle of horror induced by depression takes on the quality of physical pain. But it is not an immediately identifiable pain, like that of a broken limb. It may be more accurate to say that despair, owing to some evil trick played upon the sick brain by the inhabiting psyche, comes to resemble the diabolical discomfort of being imprisoned in a fiercely overheated room. And because no breeze stirs this caldron, because there is no escape from this smothering confinement, it is entirely natural that the victim begins to think ceaselessly of oblivion.  – from Darkness Visible

William Styron also speculates in that piece that his depression was made far more virulent by the psychiatric drugs he was prescribed for sleep. Benzodiazepines are, indeed, notorious for creating dark hell zones.

To actually use descriptive terms makes it real. It makes it human. Depression is a clinical term that does nothing but distance us from the pain of others.

Here is a list of a few articles and posts on Beyond Meds that might help one consider what is called depression in different ways, because it is not just one thing. It’s always a combination of many things in the life of every individual who gets the label. This is true of all psych diagnosis, actually.

newer first:

And new posts that have been added:

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Realzman: Tapering low dosage of Prozac