zee Effexor Taper

Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum and was told to come here by the Effexor group on Facebook. They told me this place is very informative on how to taper off Effexor. I can tell you my story. I suffer from anxiety and depression. I have tried almost every ssri in the past with no success. I was on celexa for 3 years recently and I had decreased hearing, decreased vision and forgetfulness. It was getting bad so the doc put me on Effexor. I also get migraines with aura from a condition I have called Arnold Chiari 1 Malformation. Well about 4 months ago he had put me right from celexa to effexor. I went from 30mg Celexa to 75mg Effexor. In one week he upped me to 150. I am now going to try to get off it. It is the most horrible drug. I took a 75 today because I have nothing else now and it is hell. I feel like I am spinning. I am sure it will get much worse before it gets better. I did call the office and ask for a 37.5mg to add to this because I think it is to big of a drop. Is there anyone who could tell me how to do this correctly since my doc seems like she does not know?   :unsure: 

• Administrator

Welcome, zee.

When you switched from 30mg Celexa to 75mg Effexor, how was the change made? What happened after that? Why did your doctor increase your dosage to 150mg Effexor?

How long had you been on Celexa?

What are your symptoms now?

Our topic about tapering Effexor http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

So if I am understanding this correctly you were up to 150 but now you've dropped to 75 and this is the plan from your doctor? And you don't have the prescription for 150 mg any longer? Was this your doctor's idea, or yours? Is your doctor on board with the idea of a taper at all?

How long did you take 150, when did you drop to 75? What was the plan after dropping to 75?

A 50% decrease is pretty intense. We recommend cutting no more than 10% of your current dose at one time.

If you can give us a clearer idea of the time frame, when you were on Celexa, when you switched to Effexor, how long you took 75, when you were upped to 150 and why, when you were cut to 75 and why, that would be helpful.

Did the doctor's office agree with your idea of adding another 37.5 to the 75?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Rereading your post it sounds like maybe you have the 75 mg tablets and today was the first day you dropped from 150 to 75 and you did it voluntarily. 

If you've been taking 150 for more than a week or two (and it sounds like you have), I'd recommend just staying on 150 for a few more days while you read up about tapering in our Tapering section and figure out your plan and collect whatever supplies you need to do a safe taper.  

I would only do the cut to 75 plus 37.5 if you're finding that your side effects at 150 mg are absolutely horrible and intolerable. Otherwise you'd be better off just staying on the 150 for a few more days while you prepare to do a regular safe taper.  If you're having this much trouble the first day of a 50% cut you clearly need to do a slower taper.

Personally I feel that since you already have neurological symptoms due to the Arnold-Chiari, you need to be particularly cautious in approaching your taper, at least until you have a chance to learn how your body is going to respond to it. If you find you can speed it up later, then you can, but to start with I would be much more cautious and prepared.

Please read through the topics in our Tapering section.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.