Simon: Introduction

simon

So sorry that you felt so bad you felt this is the only way out.

But I am so impressed by how you have communicated with your doctor! It is very inspiring and maybe things will start to change in regards to psychiatric drugging and doctors doing more than just blindly writing prescriptions.

My doctor is going along with everything I ask..she knows what dose I'm on and how I want to go about things. This is encouraging in one way, as I feel that I have some control back at long last but also frightening and discouraging in another as the willingness for the doctor to 'follow my lead' reinforces how little they actually know.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simon

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are lucky your doctor is open minded to some extent Joannad.  Mine patronizes me and snickers and shakes his head.  He treats me like I am a stupid crazy woman thinking the meds are causing issues with my son and I.  He really thinks he knows what he is talking about.  IDIOT!  Simon I am sorry you continue to have such issues.  My thoughts are with you.  Prayers too.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

My computer hasn't been connecting to the internet for the last couple of days, hence not making any replies. Many thanks Joannad, F and Jan.

Yes my GP does seem genuinely determined to eventually bring down this drug burden to one. At least at that point  I may be able to take a breath of fresh air.,and take stock.

But stability is the name of the game now. Ive just gone onto150 Ven (feels like heresy saying that on this site.) Doesn't actually feel very different at present,except that I managed to watch most of a film on TV  last night, so I guess my concentration is being affected just a tiny bit. I thought I was feeling very 'wired', yesterday (1st day on the full dose) and that I was in for a sleepless night. But I got a full night in thankfully. Cant concentrate enough to read though , so the days are very long and monotonous at present!

My thinking is very shallow and I get feelings  of panic when I cant recall often the simplest thing (things I know that I know). it all feels so permanent, like brain damage but guess ive been here before and got out of it.

Still got 'suicidal ideation' as the psychs would say, that's to say a sort of crazy bottom line, that if things get so bad..... many of you will know what I mean.

Family-wise, unless I can come to some more permanent feeling of healing I don't think we can go on living together. When I am like this I put far to much pressure on spouse and its not fair. We go round in circles about causes and cures and it doesn't get anywhere in the end. The truth probably lies somewhere in between  on the one hand ,blaming the drugs and on the other, needing the drugs because of some kind of deficiency.

I can say with certainty though, that over the last 7 years on this cocktail my mental powers have diminished alarmingly. This in turn effects my self image, confidence, social relations, and work. Whats weird though, is that during those 7 years I tend to be in denial about whats happening in these areas, not admitting to myself that things are going downhill. I sort of choose to ignore it, to pretend that all is well when it isn't. (I understand what Breggin means by 'spell binding'.

Im glad Joannad that you have your GP on board and I know what you mean by the slight unease at sensing the lack of knowledge from the 'professional'. I sensed this from the psych I saw, who in effect came up with about 4 solutions during 2 consultations. Its a change of attitude rather than necessarily a change of science I think. But im sure there are exceptions to the rule. My daughter was telling me that her doctor shows patients how to make liquid solutions, and provide syringes for doing gradual tapers off drugs.

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• Moderator Emeritus

'needing the drugs because of some kind of deficiency'

That's your heresy, science doesn't even believe this now and it has always been a convenient/highly profitable 'truth' for prescribers.

It's your choice what you believe, no point me engaging with it

All the best

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

The point im making Dalsaan is that's the rift between my spouse and me. Im not saying that's what I believe. Im with you and the others on this forum. I totally take the point that there never was a chemical imbalance that needed to be put right.

Im not expecting encouragement for the step ive taken, but would rather not be pushed further into the mud by comments like this.

For better or for worse I now have to live with the decision ive taken as a means to an end. I'm hoping this will only be a temporary measure.

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

Dalsaan, I get the feeling that you feel the need to reiterate the point about not updosing or changing drugs, as a warning to others using the site.

What you need to realize is that everyone has their breaking point and you cant possibly know what others go through in this battle to get well.

I took the decision and I now have to live with it for better or for worse.

If you prefer me to not post on this site for fear of putting others off, then tell me. From what ive gathered so far, I am free to log my journey through this nightmare. Im not suggesting to anyone else that they do the same , far from it. But I would still like to have the freedom here to explain and to get a few thoughts over from this bruised brain of mine.

I admire your own resolve to stay on course and that of so many others here.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Simon

The point I challenged was the construction of antidepressants a remedy to some kind of deficiency. That feeds into the chemical imbalance theory which is what got many of us here in the first place, it's what some doctors still use to explain withdrawals when people reduce or stop medication and it's how many AD users still understand their issues. It's also totally discredited

Touting that is actually listed under the things that will get you banned. I didn't want to say that to you because I am still happy for you to post here but your thread is public so I challenged that point. I believe I did it respectfully. I understand you are struggling and have reacted to what I said so I apologise. I can't engage with your choices but I do wish you all the best.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Yes, I accept your point, Dalsaan. I'm certainly not espousing the course that I took for anyone else and I see that you have to make that clear to others as its against the policy of this forum.

I'll just have to see what happens in the days and weeks ahead

Its a massive struggle and one I have never engaged in before and completely new territory for me. You have to see that, if I had not gone ahead with changing meds, then all decisions would probably have been taken out of my hands.

Perhaps it was a big mistake to admit that I had made a suicide attempt. I was very scared by what I did and couldn't keep it to myself. But once said,then those around me including my GP have to take action. So by making the admission I guess I have brought it on. Maybe I will live to regret that.

Its very hard to see loved ones suffering due to my suffering and to them it just looks like I am being stubborn and arrogant.

Im trying to see what I have done as taking one step back in order to then stabilize before moving forward again.

If I seem to make any statements that go against policy, then let me know first before banning me. You have to see that at the moment even writing this is difficult and I don't want to accidently incriminate myself. My whole thinking is not clear.

I now see that my GP is much nearer to my position than in the past. You could of course say that this is just a tactic to placate me and make me feel supported. That is a possibility. I choose to believe that he is being genuine. The whole position of polydrugging is discredited around here and he has promised to support me in reducing my medication. Hes already moved from the stance that he took back in the summer,when he suggested coming off Cit in4-5 weeks, and now accepts that that is not a possible timescale. So people are open to change and im prepared to go along with people like that.

• Moderator Emeritus

Simon could you update your signature with the latest addition? Did your doctor remove any of the 

others or just add the vanlafaxine? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I see a huge miscommunication here.  While preaching and proselytizing "chemical imbalance theory" can get you banned from SA, I don't think Simon was saying that.

I think he was saying that he's up against the dominant medical paradigm and trying to get stable.  We've all had to fight for what we believe, in different ways.  It took me 6 months of study before I came to a place which was, "It doesn't matter if I'm genetically or chemically like this - I can be unhappy without the drugs, too."  And what has happened, lo and behold, is that on less drugs, I'm happier.  But it took time.  And we all have to start from where we are.

His doctor (and wife) says "chemical imbalance," Simon says, "I'm with SA."  I don't see any need to throw the word "banned" around to someone who is struggling, and on the edge of what he can stand.   You can refer him to the rules, if you think that might help.  I know, I'm not a mod, I'm nobody, that's just the way I see it.

And Simon, I don't think that Dalsaan said "banned" about your updosing or changing drugs.  Not at all.  S/he was just pre-empting a discussion of the "chemical imbalance theory" or "needing the drugs because of some deficiency."  Updosing and changing drugs happens all the time in here.  And just because you have chosen that, doesn't imply that you are recommending it.

Having your wife touting the dominant medical paradigm doesn't help.  Can she read?  Would Anatomy of an Epidemic be something she could wrap her brain around, and maybe begin to understand?  Or, if that's too long or expensive, "The Icarus Harm Reduction Guide to Coming of Psych Meds" (where I started with my providers) is a short, free read that explains a lot in plain english - but - she - like most doctors - may not respect it because it's a peer document, not a medical one. 

You're in a tough place, and I want you to know I'm pulling for you.  I want you to know that you count and matter in this world.  Hang in there, and please don't be afraid to come back.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Keep your chin up Simon. Jan carol is right and I am rooting for you too.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

I am so very sorry you have been feeling so badly, Simon.  I hope you get some relief soon and the support you need at home.  I am rooting for you too!  :)

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg; 4/27/24: 1.06 mg

I'm sorry too simon. After being on the edge yesterday and feeling I cannot endure it, I was going to go to the doctor knowing full well the only answer is more med. but if that's what it takes for the moment then it is surely better than the alternative.

Hoping you feel more stable again soon.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Yes, what I was expressing was the 2 opposing view,. mine and my wife's.

I wouldn't have spent the last 4 months on this site if I didn't share its beliefs.

I make every attempt to get these views across and am hoping that my GP will either read or view, Joanna Moncrieff, who I think puts the case in a very clear and measured way, without the overkill of some others. Maybe its a cultural thing, but being from this side of the atlantic shes probably more acceptable to the slightly calmer , reserved ways of the British. ( I mean that in the most charitable way-just that some of the American videos on the subject can easily be a turn-off to the audience here. Also the fact that shes part of the council for evidence-based psychiatry, and 'evidence-based' is a thing that goes down well with the medical profession. When I last saw my doc. he took my details of her, and so I guess if hes had the time, at least he will know where im  coming from.

Dalsaan, I hope you understand my stance. Its made me realize how important all this is to you and the other mods. Also, know that at times like these, people are not at their best in explaining clearly whats going on, so there are bound to be the odd misunderstandings.

Thankyou, Jan for your imput and also to F and WR.plus Joannad (you must have been writing at the same time as me, all the best with you appointment.)

Simon

Joanna moncrieff, forgot about her. I don't have an appointment, I managed to hold on for now at least. But I'm going to make an appointment just to talk about all this and take bundles of info, studies.

When you've been on Ads for a long, long period as I have and want to come off or at least get down to low doses, I now understand that there is often a price to pay in the pain of WD and for some protracted WD. Lots of people on this site attest to that. I am hardly at the beginning of the process but keep wondering,in addition to the possible pain, what the new me would be like without those ADs.

I was watching a video showing Will Hall and Louise Delano and others at a sort of conference in a cabin in the woods somewhere! It was all about the experiences of people who had got off drugs and how they were fairing. One woman, was expressing the view that, having been on drugs since the age of 17 and now in her early 50s, she was now off, but still felt in some respects (she didn't really elaborate) like the 17 year old her. She was having to learn new skills I guess and deal with new emotions  that had been suppressed by the drugs. She seemed quite open and optimistic albeit rather nervous about moving forward.

I think that , while I have been polydrugged for the last 7 years, some emotions, like empathy, feeling sadness, really getting alongside someone else in pain have been replaced by a sort of blanket fear; maybe provoked by these situations being too close to home, that in me they might lead to 'depression' so best to avoid them. Also, instead of feeling certain emotions, I pretend, or express what is expected of me instead of it coming from a genuine feeling within. I hate all this , as it was not always so.

When I temporarily came off Cit. back in the summer, I had no withdrawal symptoms and really felt a new lease of life and recognised some genuine emotion welling up in me from time to time.(then it all went pear-shaped)

But what I wanted to ask was, do people feel rather 'strange' as these emotions resurface and can it lead to a feeling of not knowing who you are?

Quite honestly I don't know who I am now in many ways, ie what is me and what is the drug.? But can the re-emerging emotions be unsettling, like anger, envy, frustration, those things that have been calmed or tamed by the drugs?

• Moderator Emeritus

All good questions. I think we have to reconnect with who we are and discover who we are becoming. This far along I can see the old me re-emerging as well as bits of me that are new. I still have parts that are medicated me. Those are bits that I can look at and say I don't want to be like that.

I think it's challenging to really feel again but exciting too. Like everything in wd, I think it's about recognising what's going on and engaging it gently rather than investing very heavily or getting caught up in what's going on. Avoid trying to nail things down, bring more of a sense of wonder. I've actually found an opportunity in this emerging me to try new things I never thought I would try.

D

Thanks for that thought provoking reply Dalsaan. I'll try to digest it.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus
But what I wanted to ask was, do people feel rather 'strange' as these emotions resurface and can it lead to a feeling of not knowing who you are?

Quite honestly I don't know who I am now in many ways, ie what is me and what is the drug.? But can the re-emerging emotions be unsettling, like anger, envy, frustration, those things that have been calmed or tamed by the drugs?

I've certainly been feeling strange, not only because I'm finding myself feeling extremes of emotion that have been blocked out by drugs for so long, but also because I don't know who I am any more.  I no longer seem to be anyone, which takes some getting used to, and when the unpleasant strong emotions arise, which they have been, I have to remind myself that these are just passing emotions and they don't have to define me.

Simon, there's a topic in the finding meaning forum you may find useful, its a short discussion about identity:

Identity Crisis

I also watched that video you wrote about, and found it very interesting.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Simon, it's like there are at least 3 me's.  Maybe more.  The me I was as a child and young adult.  The me that I was in a marriage with antidepressants (on and off, on an off, surely played havoc with things), the me I was after I accepted the "bipolar diagnosis" and "meds for life," and the me that I am becoming now.

In my journey I'm trying - as Dalsaan said - to take the best of each.  There were good things about my early life, there were horrid things too.  During my depressed marriage, I still had passion and curiosity for the world around me.  I wanted to learn herbalism, plant lore, myriad esoteric studies, I wanted to believe in faeries.  (I didn't, but I wanted to)

After I accepted the "bipolar diagnosis" I started to die, a little at a time.  Some of that was circumstantial, killed by a psychopathic boyfriend who wanted to control every aspect of my life.  That sure didn't help.  But I was still active, still curious, about music, concerts, wilderness, and relationships with friends.

But when the lithium hit, I lost nearly all of those good qualities.  (I've chosen not to tell you the bad qualities today, we'll just refer to them as "selfish, lying and cheating")  My main interest was going to the club and putting dollars in the pokie machines.  I wasn't a dangerous gambler, it just gave me something to do and a bit of a false social life.  I couldn't gain interest in ANYTHING, I didn't care about anything, I was anhedonia personified.

As the lithium comes down, I find my curiosity and engagement has returned.  Sometimes I'm a little too enthusiastic, a little too loud - but it's also more REAL.  I really CARE about my friends and my husband and my cat, I really CARE about people here on SA, I am passionate about this journey and I feel blessed, fortunate.

THIS person is not the SAME person that sought out that depressed marriage, or the control freak boyfriend, or any other number of bad situations.  THIS person is able to look at those and try to understand why I was like that, why I lied, cheated, and only cared about myself.  I don't have the answers, ,but now that I'm 52, it feels safe to look at them, maybe learn from them and integrate them.   At least I have my spark of curiosity back, even if I still don't have the energy to pursue all of it. 

Great question Simon, thanks for provoking thought!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

How are you doing Simon?

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Im not great at present. You'll see that I made the decision to change meds, and im living with the consequences of that. See my GP in the morning and last time he was convinced that we can get the drugs down to just one instead of a cocktail which is far too high for me. I don't know how this will be done and of course I cant imagine that hes into safe methods of withdrawal as on this forum. I don't  really  know how , as an individual I respond to reductions, maybe better than I imagine, who knows. Certainly  the 4-6 weeks withdrawal of Cit. back in the summer was far to fast, so that will have to be taken into account.

Im not really posting much at the moment because I can well understand that the aims of this site are about reductions, not changes and I don't want to put any pressure on anyone to go outside the remit of those aims in their replies. Its an individual decision I felt I had to make and will just live with it.

Thanks for getting in touch and I hope you have a good stable period on the Cit.

All the best to you

Simon

Good luck simon, I will be thinking of you.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Many thanks WT, that's very kind of you.

Simon

Sorry you are not feeling that good  - I will be thinking of you and wishing you all the luck in the world whatever route you go down after your GP's visit tomorrow.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Sorry you are having such a rough time right now.  I hope you are able to come to a solution that works for you.  I am sure you will get there eventually.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

• Moderator Emeritus

How's your sleep Simon? One thing to know about mirtazapine is that it's sleep inducing effects are more apparent at lower rather than higher doses. It might be that it could offer you some sleep support if you dropped some of that. I also found that I could drop down to 15 from 30 pretty quick and without too much drama. Something to think about in the discussion with your dr

D

That's probably a relevant point; ive heard it expressed before on the site. I know my dr. actually increased it at one point with the  aim of it being more sedating,or at least with the intention of doing that instead of using benzos (not quite sure which actually) But worth a mention.

My sleep has been ok until the last few nights but is at present about 5-6 hours. I don't know why that should be the case,with the mirtazapine, sounds a bit odd, but I will bring it up. Getting down from the high doses seems to be the easier part than further down from what ive gathered.

Thanks

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Simon,

I'm new to this site but was connected to another site with same purpose, so have clocked up a bit of experience during my 17 month (so far) WD hell.

I'm tapering from Mirtazapine too, and am now down from 30mg to 4.5mg. I stupidly (no,not stupid, misinformed by modern medicine). And I use the word "modern" very loosely.

I am also taking 5mg Valium a day, down from 15mg as my tremor was off the wall, as a result of cutting my 30mg in half because I believed what the doctors were saying in that all will be well. No worries. I learned different.

I'm confused too in that I got Serotonin Syndrome when my doctor switched me from Mirtazapine to with only 2 days in between the switch. According to all of the medical literature this should have been OK to do, and can remember the pharmacist looking up these two drugs on her computer to make sure that it was alright to do.

She filled my script, and I took the Lexepro two days later as advised and all hell broke loose.

I am now back on the Mirt. and am reducing really slowly and don't care how long it takes, so long as I am eventually free of these drugs. I will tackle the Valium after I have dealt with the Mirtazapine. One step at a time, otherwise it is just too hard and chaotic. And I've been suicidal too. Ideation only, but still scary. Who knows how thoughts can change to action, and I want to live.

Your plan sounds good to me, it has purpose and is achievable. If going back on the Ven is going to stabilise you, and save your relationship then it's a good thing, until you decide if you want to start a slow slow taper.

Sorry about the long post. I have been in this wonderful window which I pray stays open and I have a little mania (I don't have bi-polar)and my fingers just keep punching keys.

Your are doing good Simon, listen to your body and respond in kind. That's my contribution, for what it's worth. Just wanted to introduce myself.

I have had the longest window EVER lasting one whole week and still feeling good. It so gives me hope.

Prescribed 30mg Mirtazapine approximately 10 years ago.  PTSD 

C/T 50% of dose - dreadful, hellish

Begin to reduce by 10% every 3-6 weeks

now:

5.11.14 4.50mg - going to wait a bit longer

postscript: It was Lexepro that I was switched to. I left the word Lexepro out and my computer won't allow me to edit.

Prescribed 30mg Mirtazapine approximately 10 years ago.  PTSD 

C/T 50% of dose - dreadful, hellish

Begin to reduce by 10% every 3-6 weeks

now:

5.11.14 4.50mg - going to wait a bit longer

Thanks Steeley for your post and news about your recovery. Youre right about those recommendations that are used for switching from one drug to another. I looked that one up too. It seems crazily fast and I know most users here would be shocked at the speed of the changeover. I felt I needed to keep my GP on board and so, rightly or wrongly went ahead with it. Nothing has changed yet concerning mood and its a very tense time. im not able to do much at all, due to extremely low mood and lack or concentration and mental powers in general. Its just a waiting game and ive been here before I guess, but didn't expect to find myself here again. So its very disappointing, but this is a good site and im glad you found it and are able to get support and support others (like me).

I got caught on the benzo a few months back and am doing nothing about any of the drugs yet. Im taking far too many and the side-effects which are all psychological, are very real. The suicidal ideation is almost constant over the last weeks and mood doesn't seem to vary from day to day.

Anyway, I see the doc this morning and will see what his ideas are for eventually reducing the meds.

Glad that youre making progress, long may it continue and thanks for the support.

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simon.  Maybe it won't be that you get down to just one drug, maybe you will be able to function on low levels of 2 of them (the benzo shouldn't be long term)  That's not so bad.  I know you want your cognitive ability and give-a-yhitidude back.  I know what it's like to be in anhedonia for years at a time.

So what did your doc say?  Just continue as you are, give the Venlafaxine time to work?  ANy other helpful suggestions?  

I reckon you would be helped with a light box, in early morning.  Especially since you live in the UK, land of gray winters.  ALSO, (without going back for a refresher) are you on some good magnesium (pref glycinate) and fish oil (at least 2g / day)?

What does your daily exercise look like?  I know you have the Menieres, but there has to be something you can do.  As Alto has said so many times, walking seems to cascade into the neurotransmitters and heals the brain like nothing else.

Thinking of you, you've been very brave through the holiday season; you can do this - survive.  Survive is the point, not to get to a certain level or taper.  It's to survive!

Yes its about survival indeed at the moment, jan.

I do get some exercise, it must be at least a mile a day with the dog. and that's always worthwhile once ive pushed myself. I have a light box but haven't used it a great deal.

I take fish oil, but have only the magnesium oxide which I hear is not so effective. So its glycinate that I must get hold of. Pity I ordered so much of  the oxide and wonder if just taking more of that might be an equivalent; but I will get the other stuff.

Yes my GP wants me to soldier on with the Ven.,early days yet.

Yesterday I got a card from one of my daughters, full of a list of all the things that over the years she has appreciated about me. When I think how some kids can be so lacking in understanding, its shows what complete characters they've become and prepared to show their feelings. I am grateful. Being 'numb' emotionally myself at the moment I couldn't get any feeling about it im shocked to admit, but that's just the nature of this illness. one day ill look back on it and be moved. For the present i'll just concentrate on the 'fact' that they are caring kids!

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

That's sweet!  Didn't you at least get a little affirmation from your daughter's card, like, "I've done something right!"  ?     Yup, forgot how the dog is such a lifesaver for you.

I'm not a light box expert - if I had stayed in Indiana, I might be.  But I have a huge, intense light box in the sky, all I have to do is walk in it (and boy I haven't felt much like that lately being sick and with the heat!)  But I've heard 20 min in early morning has significant effect on mood.  This might kick the venlafaxine in, and if you notice a change, 10 minutes might be enough.

I believe (and others might agree) that the anhedonia is likely from the drugs, not from your depression.  Which drugs, it's hard to say.  All of them, likely, contribute to it.

Thanks for surviving, you are doing something right, even if you don't feel it!

Thanks Jan,

yes decided to make more use of this light box, pity its not more like the sun. Theyre a rather harsh light, like a florescent tube light, but i'll try anything to get over the winter. (as a matter of interest I got it online from LLoyds pharmacy, about £39 and free of VAT,and it is the full 10000 lux.)

Venlafaxine is probably just starting to kick in (dare I say) but  im aware that as I CT'd off Cit. to get onto it, all hell  might break loose when my brain realizes what ive been up to. Although with all the drug hell ive put it through I'm quite surprised it still notices anything.

Anyway should things start to improve a little id be interested to know what I should pull the plug on as regards the other chemicals (not asking advice here, because ive gone off the rails temporarily  re. SA policy, but as ive said before my GP is against this polydrugging  and wants me to get onto one drug. (one drug too many, but it has to be better than the present position .