seb: not sure of the best method for tapering off Pristiq

seb

• Administrator

Could be. Are you taking magnesium? This could help with constipation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Seb

Quick hello to see how you are going.

fuzzy

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Tonight will remove an extra 10 beads.  

I have had no real problems since undergoing this withdrawal, the only minor issues are constipation and sometimes spikes of anger.

Last night I counted the number of beads in the capsule and there was 280 (or around that).  I can see removing the beads is going to be harder as I get further along.  

Based on 280 beads I am currently doing less than 10% taper, but I am OK with that as I am functioning really well at the moment even though I have work issues going on. 

1999 Citalopram 20mg 2000 Came off Citalopram 2002 Citalopram 20mg 2003 Came off Citalopram 2007 Citalopram 20mg 2008 Pristiq 50mg 2009 Pristiq 100mg 2014 Pristiq 50mg 19 September 2014 Switch to Effexor 75mg 2019 Effexor and 40mg Endep. 3/1/2021 started a 10% taper with the Effexor .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Seb,

thanks for the update, going slower than 10% is fine, actually its probably better.  I'm glad to hear you are doing well.  Hope the work issues ease up soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Seb

Glad your taper is going well. Let's hope the work issues resolve themselves soon.

Take care

Fuzzy

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• 1 month later...

My withdrawal is going well, down 30 beads in the capsules. I have got used to counting the beads out.  Only major withdrawal symptom is excessive tiredness, which hits me at about 3pm each afternoon.  Also I am not sleeping like I use to.  When I was on the full medications I was wiped out when I went to sleep, however now I find I am waking up a bit through the night.  So far this is not causing problems however I will eventually get some Melatonin.  I have been using Lactium occasionally, and I have found this has helped.

1999 Citalopram 20mg 2000 Came off Citalopram 2002 Citalopram 20mg 2003 Came off Citalopram 2007 Citalopram 20mg 2008 Pristiq 50mg 2009 Pristiq 100mg 2014 Pristiq 50mg 19 September 2014 Switch to Effexor 75mg 2019 Effexor and 40mg Endep. 3/1/2021 started a 10% taper with the Effexor .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi seb,

glad to hear that your taper is still going well.  Have the work issues, constipation and anger spikes gone away now?

Many people find  fish oil and magnesium helpful, see King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

Magnesium, if taken at night can be calming and could possibly help with sleep.  Fish oil, if taken early in the day can sometimes increase energy, it could help with the afternoon tiredness.  Also, making sure you get enough high quality protein at lunch can often offset that mid afternoon energy crash that can sometimes happen.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have been posting and not been able to see my posts (or the replies - thanks all) as I did not realise I had to move to the second page. 

Also I had problems with my signature (only allows 12 lines).  Not sure how I am going to keep tracking what I am doing with only 12 lines?  I like recording in my signature my drops in dose, as I know I won’t lose the information.

My tiredness issue has lessened lately, which may be due to better sleep lately.  However I am finding that I am ruminating on negative thoughts a lot in the mornings.  I tell myself they are only thoughts and not to get sucked into them, however they are fairly persistent and annoying.  (So glad nobody can see my thoughts in the mornings).  I think I need to start meditating again as I know in the past this has helped with the negative thought loops. 

Sometimes I wonder in this tapering road I am on, whether one day I will get to a limit – a dose that I can’t go any lower.  A dose where any lower and I am not able to function.

Once again thank you to the people who have replied to the posts, even though I have never met you it’s really nice to think that there are people who are listening and who understand what I am going through.  Part of the problem with the whole mental health/AD thing is nobody in my real world (as opposed to the internet) understands and/or have limited empathy.  The isolation and loneliness I often feel is awful.  I wish I could be more open and honest with people about how I am feeling.

I love this website.  In the New Year when my Christmas money worries have gone away I promise I will donate money.  This website is awesome, thank you to all the people who work on putting it together.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Seb, I'm glad that your taper is still going well. The negative thoughts can be hard to deal with and it is sometimes 

really strange how they pop up without being invited!  I get them a  lot especially when I am tired but have developed 

ways of dealing with them  This might sound mad but I even imagine myself sweeping them all away with a broom!

At times I get odd thoughts and laugh at them, 'where did you come from' type of thing.  I learned all this from Alto's

change the channel thread, it is worth a read if you haven't seen it already. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/846-change-the-channel-dealing-with-cognitive-symptoms/

About reaching a level that can't be lowered, I have found a way of tapering the last few beads which seems to be 

working for me.  As you get lower you will need to reduce the number of beads that you remove. You are doing great now

but it's something to think about as you get below the half way mark.  When you take out the beads, keep the tiny ones, the

ones that you would maybe throw away because they are so tiny. They will become very very useful at the end of your taper

and help you off that last little bit.  I started a system where I open a capsule and tip the contents into a small box. Each day I 

took out the largest 4 beads, in time they became smaller and I was tapering while actually taking the same dose! Before that I 

couldn't get to less than 4 beads without having to updose.  When I opened the next capsule I again took the largest 3 beads,

which were the equivalent of the 4 beads. Then I did the same again and now I am on 2 beads. I still have a couple of months 

left in this box, but I am not in a rush and happy to wait it out and do it this way to avoid withdrawal  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Seb

Glad your taper going well. Be kind to yourself, this is not an easy journey. I think the biggest problem is that people seem loathe to talk about being on a/d's. I know I for one have not been very open about it, only with a close knit group.

I've quit, felt that I was not getting a consistent dose, update in my own thread. I'm hoping I've not jumped the gun. But if I need to reinstate I will.

Take care

fuzzy

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

Hi Fuzzy, thanks for your last post.  Really helps to know that other people are going through the same thing -(well you know not that I wish this misery on anyone, however it is nice knowing I am not the only one going through it).  Tonight I will drop again, 10 beads.  Currently have no adverse affects (or is it effects??) from the withdrawal.

cheers Susan

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped another 10 beads tonight.  Have been teeth grinding in sleep a lot lately not sure if this has anything to do with the withdrawal or a change to my diet.  Have been taking magnesium and seeing a myotherapist for the neck/should pain.  Have been feeling quite tired and really unmotivated in the last two weeks, this may have more to do with uncertainty around my job than anything to do with withdrawal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Teeth grinding and jaw tension can be due to withdrawal. You may wish to hold on your taper for a bit.

Also, get a night guard to protect your teeth. Please look in the Symptoms forum for discussions about this.

Magnesium glycinate can help relax muscle tension.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Tapered an extra 15 beads on 8 Feb 2015.  Been feeling very angry.  I am taking 5-htp. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Seb,

How long have you been feeling angry? How long have you been taking 5-htp, and what dose?

Its not a good idea to take 5-htp while you are also taking antidepressants or in withdrawal.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1-10727,2296-1524

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png

venlafaxine ↔ 5-hydroxytryptophan

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Using 5-hydroxytryptophan together with venlafaxine is generally not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Please read through: 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and tryptophan 

When Not To Take 5-HTP

SSRI medications exert a powerful influence on brain chemistry. It's no surprise then, to learn that taking 5 HTP and a prescription SRRI poses great danger. Remember that 5 HTP itself interacts in complex ways with the entire serotonin reuptake system in the brain. Because the SSRI medications are already altering the delicate symphony of chemicals, adding 5 HTP to the mix creates cacophony.

Another thing is that it seems you are speeding up your taper after being advised to hold for a while.  As the dose gets lower, we recommend slowing down the taper, to avoid withdrawal symptoms, which often start to occur as the dose gets lower.  You have been experiencing teeth grinding, jaw tension and now anger.  I think you need to slow down.  Perhaps an interaction between 5-htp and effexor is causing these symptoms.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you Petunia.  I will stop taking 5-htp and I will slow down my withdrawal.  Thank you thank you.

• 10 months later...

Hi all thought I would update – can’t believe my last post was 11 Feb 2015.  To date I have removed 130 beads removed from my 75mg Effexor tablet.  This has not been an easy road; at times I have gone too fast and have had to reduce the amount of beads I am taking from the tablet.  Recently I was up to 150 beads out of the 75mg Effexor tablet and withdraw symptoms kicked in, I went back to 140 beads removed but the withdraw symptoms still persisted – so now I am at 130 and I am feeling better.  My main withdraw symptoms are: irritability, crying and a feeling of ‘what is the point’.  Strangely my sleep has not been affected – which was the main reason why I took the tablets in the first place.  I have found exercise, healthy eating and meditation (20 minutes at night) to be really important in keeping feeling stable. 

Hi Seb

Thanks for the update. Sorry it's been a bumpy road so far, but keep at it.

I'm a few days away from being rid of Pristiq for a year. The best decision I made!!

Fuzzy

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• 4 years later...

So I have come back and after being away for almost five years.  Now I am on 150mg Effexor and 50mg of Endep.  I am looking to reduce my medication due to extreme tiredness.  So here we go. 

Ok also I cant find how to change my signature?  If anyone could point me in the right direction please - I have been unsuccessful searching on this forum. 

1999 Citalopram 20mg 2000 Came off Citalopram 2002 Citalopram 20mg 2003 Came off Citalopram 2007 Citalopram 20mg 2008 Pristiq 50mg 2009 Pristiq 100mg 2014 Pristiq 50mg 19 September 2014 Switch to Effexor 75mg 28/9/2014 Removed 10 beads from Effexor 75mg 22/9/2014 Removed an extra 10 beads, total of 20 beads from Effexor 75mg 23/10/2014 Removed an extra 10 beads, total of 30 beads from Effexor 75mg 22/11/2014 Removed 10 beads from Effexor 75mg total of 40 beads.6/1/15 Dropped 10 beads, total of 50 beads from Effexor 75mg. 27/1/2015 Removed an extra 10 beads, total of 60 beads from Effexor 75mg. 8/2/2015 Removed 15 extra beads, total of 75 beads. 21/12/2015 - 130 beads from a 75mg Effexor tablet.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome back,

This link will go straight to your own signature.  Remember to save.  I suggest that you try to condense the previous history so it is just a summary so that you can include details of your drug history for the last 2 years.

Please include all drugs, including the Endep.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please also put all current drugs into the Drug.com Interactions Checker

Copy and paste the results here OR copy and paste the link (URL) to the report.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please also post describing your current symptoms.

• ChessieCat changed the title to seb: not sure of the best method for tapering off Pristiq