Satch: Seroquel and Remeron Help!

Satch

• Administrator

Satch, you seemed quite determined to go off Seroquel.

Remeron can also cause some outsized food cravings. Would you consider going off that first? You might reduce one, then hold on that, and reduce the other.

Which has helped you most with sleep?

The two drugs do not have similar action on receptors.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Satch

• tgirl

• Altostrata

• chicken

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you do if you were me. I have no idea what is doing what. It's just the setoquel side effect profile is terrifying. I know with my sensitized cns I have to go slow regardless.

Klonopin 2mg 2000-2005 Tapered off without bad symptoms

Ativan 1mg 2007-2010 Tapered with moderate problems

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

• Administrator

Why did you and Dr. Shipko decide to taper Seroquel? Seems that you've been around this barn before.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I guess because it's more toxic than the remeron. Do you think I should mix the taper up. A little seroquel and then a little remeron. I know remeron is used for neuroleptic induced akathisia. I know there's no magic answer to this.

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

• Administrator

Did you have neuroleptic induced akathisia?

Yes, you could taper the Seroquel part-way, hold, then taper the Remeron.

I'm not sure. When I tried to cut the seroquel back in July I got it really bad in the am. Pacing for like five hours some days. I think it was probably more related to uncovered klonopin ct issues. Who knows. How would you cut if you were in my most unlucky shoes.

• Administrator

I cannot make that decision for you. Maybe you're not quite ready to taper yet.

How is the Seroquel-Remeron combination helping?

I think it's helping me sleep and keeping adrenaline under control. Just feel trapped on meds. Know they are poison.

• Administrator

Short-term, they're not so bad.

How long is short term. How stable should I he before tapering.

Am I in for years of this stuff.

Allostrata. What should I look for to decide when to taper.

• Administrator

Well, exactly how bad do you feel? Reducing any of your drugs is probably going to rock the boat more and make you feel worse.

Reduce when you feel you can handle a little boat-rocking.

I can't tell you when that will be. You'll have to listen to your body.

I still feel really bad. Depression and dpdr.

Seeing lots of information on how dangerous and toxic seroquel is. I feel like I'm being poisoned everytime I take it. Is this a horribly dangerous drug.

Hi, Satch,

I suggest avoiding scaring yourself in the name of surfing the internet for "information." [big note to self there - have fallen into this trap many times.]

We are all in this for the long haul, as much as we all wish it could be different.

I recommend Wulfgar's thread for an informative, encouraging narrative on one person's journey through Remeron hell - and there are certainly many others here whose stories offer experience, strength, and hope.

You can make it.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

I'm losing hope everyday. My life is ruined by psychiatry. I see no way out and honestly see no life worth fighting for.

• Administrator

Be sure to get at least 30 minutes of gentle exercise every day. On your way, look around you. Take photos of anything that gives you the slightest lift. Pet dogs and cats you meet. Breath deeply and enjoy the fresh air.

You will find you feel a little better.

Hello Satch,

I hope you are feeling better!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Thanks for asking. I'm totally scared. I really think I'm the next casualty of psychiatry. I really can't see how I'm ever going to survive this b

Hello Satch,

I'm sorry you are suffering.

Are you sticking to the 10 % tapering schedule?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

I haven't started tapering. I'm still having too many issues from klonopin ct.

I now realize what started this whole problem was a course of cipro. Set my receptors up for rapid dependency. Feel very unlucky.

Hi, Satch, 

Can you explain a bit more about the connection between cipro and the ADs? 

One year ago this month, I battled a potentially fatal blood infection that had me home on an antibiotic pic line round the clock for eight weeks (the side effects were horrific), I'm virtually certain that one of the antibiotics they gave me was cipro.

Here's the thing, though. We are both still here. We can beat this thing. 

Keep it simple, keep it slow, keep it stable. 

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

Thanks. Cipro acts on gaba like benzos. Set me up for rapid dependence.

Frustrated I was ct off of klonopin and put on seroquel. Feel side effects profile of seroquel is terrifying. How rare is td. Is diabetes dose dependent.

Is seroquel or benzos worse.

Thanks. Cipro acts on gaba like benzos. Set me up for rapid dependence.

Have you taken Cipro or a drug in that family while on Remeron or a benzo?

I truly believe that Cipro is what destroyed my Remeron taper. When I reinstated Remeron at the ER the doc told me I had a UTI and gave me Cipro that same day. After that nothing was right. I could never stabilize on any amount of Remeron. The anxiety was different from any other anxiety I had ever had, though I can't quite explain it. After doing a little research on Cipro I truly believe it was the culprit.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Is seroquel or benzos worse.

I was on both. I feared the seroquel more than the benzo and tapered it first. I only say that because I've never had problem with benzos.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

How did you taper the seroquel. How hard was it to get off of. Thanks.

I know the cipro is what set me up for fast dependence on the klonopin. I only took 16mhs in two months and got dependent fast. Really has destroyed my life.

Chicken. So you were on remeron and seroquel. I'm on both and want off. Are you med free and ok now. Thanks again.

Just see no hope I'll ever get through two tapers and be free. Feel hopeless and scared. Really trapped by psychiatry.

Hello Satch,

Sorry your not doing well.

Chicken is not med free.

Where are you at in your tapers?

What are your symptoms tonight?

Prayers headed your way!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Thanks so much. Seeing shrink Monday to hopefully get smaller pills to start slow road out of hell.

Well that's a possitive step! Good for you. I hope all goes well.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5