compsports: Introduction

compsports

Did you watch " The Truth About Cancer "? Everyone has to make their own choices.

How are you feeling now?  

Wishing you well and the very best,

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• compsports

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Healing

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks US.   For reasons I don't want to get into, I started chemotherapy.   The worst part has been dealing with the Predisone side effects that are a required part of the chemotherapy.

The iron issues were sorted out.

Thanks~

Hi comp,

I am glad to hear they sorted the iron issues out with you at last.  Sorry to hear the Prednisone is causing problems though. 

Sending healing thoughts your way,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

hello from Paris

a bad time to pass and you will be better

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• 4 weeks later...

Had my 2nd chemotherapy session last Thursday and while things haven't been perfect side effect wise, compared to the first session, things went alot better.   Because of my poor med tolerances, oncologist reduced the Prednisone dose from 100mg to 50mg and cut the drugs in the chemo combination by 25%.   

What also helped is committing to a low-carb, high-fat diet.    While I have never been diagnosed with metabolic issues, based on glucometer readings of high carb foods, I suspect I have some type of issue.   It definitely helps mood wise and results in a more positive attitude.

The negative news is out of desperation I have been taking Temazepam for sleep.   It started out as a PRN routine but once chemo got underway, it became a regular habit since having to take Prednisone causes insomnia.   

But I finally realized the very negative effect it was having on me and I felt it was worsening my cognition.   And after initially helping, I felt the effectiveness was declining.

I didn't take it Monday and even though my sleep was broken, I actually felt great.   But last night, I kept waking up about every 20 minutes and felt nauseous.   Finally, because I had an appointment today, I took it out of desperation but didn't feel that great.

If someone could point me to a thread on how to taper it, I would greatly appreciate it.   Without thinking, I went to my PCP asking for a new prescription.    He wasn't too happy about writing it and to be honest, I wasn't too happy about asking him.   

But he did write it.   Still, I made up my mind to get off of this med.   

Unfortunately, insurance wise, I don't think I can go back and ask him for lower doses.    So that is why i need to find the thread on tapering.

Sorry, I searched but couldn't find anything.   Darn cognitive issues.

Thanks!

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, CS.

We don't have a tapering thread specific to Temazepam, or any of the benzos, but please have a read of the "stickied" topics pinned to the top of the benzo section:

Members-only benzo forum

Also, feel free to start a new topic for yourself in the benzo area and we can help you set up a taper plan there, if you like. 

If you've been taking Temazepam for more than 2 or 3 weeks, than it's best to stabilize on it and then taper. Temazepam has a half life of 8 - 22 hours, so if you're only taking it at night, you may be dealing with some inter-dose withdrawal symptoms. So spacing out your doses may help.

Please give an update here or over in the benzo area. The tapering concept is the same as antidepressants - no more than 10% a month and since you have other health concerns, you may wish to go slower.

However, if you haven't been taking it that long, you may be able to go faster.  Once you give us more information about how often you've used it over the past few weeks, we can help you decide what direction will be the best for you. You are at a great advantage here, due to your success with coming off AD's and how much knowledge you've gained over the years. 

Wishing you much healing, CS.

Thanks Shep, I post in the Benzo forum per your advice.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 1 month later...

comp, how are you doing now?  How is the chemo going?

Thinking of you,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

I am very sad to report that Compsports passed away March 11 from cancer.

Some members here may remember her as Palm from Paxilprogress. We have known her as a friend for many years.

She was sincere and thoughtful. We will all miss her.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Oh dear, how terrible.  I was hoping she was doing well, this is so sad to learn.  I always really liked her perspective, she was very thoughtful and helpful.  She will be sorely missed. I can't believe she's gone.  RIP comp/Palm, so unfair what you had to go through.

I was really sad to read this.  I didn't know Compsports but have read her posts and always appreciated what she had to say.  I felt so badly for what she was going through with her sleep and admired her strength.  

5 minutes ago, UnfoldingSky said:

so unfair what you had to go through.

So true. 

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg; 4/27/24: 1.06 mg

She definitely had a lot of perseverance, had been up against that sleep issue for far too long. 

3 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

She definitely had a lot of perseverance, had been up against that sleep issue for far too long. 

I was thinking the exact same thing and was going to use that exact word, perseverance, in my previous post but for some reason didn't.  I really don't know how she managed through what sounded like such an awful problem, she seemed to make the best out of her circumstances.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg; 4/27/24: 1.06 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry to read this. She was so strong and put up a good fight. 

She will be missed. 

I'm also so very sad to read this ~ Yes, so strong and always appreciated ~ that strength that was so inherent in her, despite the sleep issue that a lot of us struggle with ~ 

Much love ...  CS.  :wub:   You will be missed. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

RIP CS, brave lady.

I'm sorry I didn't get to "know" you.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome