Tam: hi I am new

tam

• Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to say for sure how long you'll need to taper. People have had to do long tapers after as little as two weeks on Paxil; other people can come right off the meds fast.

We recommend starting with a 10% cut, and seeing how your body does with that. Clearly you are not one of the lucky folks who can come right off these meds painlessly. Best to start slow, see how your body responds, and then adjust the taper accordingly. 

Respectfully, brassmonkey, we generally recommend that people start small and listen to their bodies and taper accordingly, unless they're experiencing an urgent toxic reaction to the drug. Three months is long enough to develop withdrawal syndrome severe enough to require a slow taper. No guarantee that it will, of course; often, as you state, people can get off a med fairly quickly. But this is not universal and I've seen many folks who've ended up suffering for years because they tried to get off too fast.

We find overall it's best to start more conservatively, see how your body responds, and take it from there. It's always easier to gently ramp up a taper than it is to recover after going too fast and hitting the wall and having to start over.

Edit: Sorry for the overlap, I was posting this as CW was posting her post above.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks everyone. :D Yes I did half my dose today. :P  Feel better no flu symptoms now thank god & I went to work. Just edgy and moody and very thirsty lol,

Bought a pill cutter and read up on the taper threads Thanks so much!!

Unfortunately my brain is really foggy with my past years of taking med's, I have to really really sit and think about the years, type of different med's and doses to put in my signature...

I will put a recent on for now. so I have something up :)

I can't really remember all my doses and years but here is what I can remember...

I struggle with Anxiety, Depression, BP and PMMD...

Past 2000-2013 ...Off and On

Effexor 225 mg for BP for few years (then went off then stayed at 125 mg -75 mg for a bit)

w/ Divalproex - mood stabilizer

September 2014 to present

Paxil 20 mg for Anxiety ( I may of started Paxil sooner than September I have to find out lol)

Seroquel 25 mg for sleep - took it for a month, ate too much and felt like a zombie had to go off it. Then prescribed me 

Trazdone for sleep when needed, only took for one month as side effect from Paxil kept me awake at beginning.

Ativan 5 mg for anxiety attacks when needed

Recent:

Tapering off Paxil from 10 mg starting Jan 2, 2014

supplements - Omega 3 fish oil, Vital Greens oral, & Silica gel oral for healthy hair and skin and nails lol.

Throughout the past year I have had severe constipation issues, fighting it and hopefully being of Paxil with help too.

Still updating this when I can remember more of my history my mind is mush lol...

Excellent! :)

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

CW and Rhi-- I see your reasoning.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 weeks later...

Still tapering on 10 mg of paxil (half my dose) this past week I have been very angry and I snap at the littlest things. I am on the verge of freaking on someone at work. Is this a side effect from tapering? How do u control your anger? Will this continue until I am off the paxil? And then continue. Everyone is noticing this that is the problem and I don't like it. Its very noticeable. Also I can't wake up in the morning...

I can't really remember all my doses and years but here is what I can remember...

Effexor 225 mg for BP for few years (then went off then stayed at 125 mg -75 mg for a bit)

Paxil 20 mg for Anxiety ( I may of started Paxil sooner than September I have to find out lol)

Seroquel 25 mg for sleep - took it for a month, ate too much and felt like a zombie had to go off it. Then prescribed me 

Trazdone for sleep when needed, only took for one month as side effect from Paxil kept me awake at beginning.

Recent:

supplements - Omega 3 fish oil, Vital Greens oral, & Silica gel oral for healthy hair and skin and nails lol.

Throughout the past year I have had severe constipation issues, fighting it and hopefully being of Paxil with help too.

Still updating this when I can remember more of my history my mind is mush lol...

very angry and I snap at the littlest things

This is often associated with the medication and either a CT (I had it then and for months afterwards) or a taper of the med.

What are all the drugs and supplements you are taking and their amounts?

"Changing the Channel" works wonders, see Symptoms for an explanation. You don't want to be 'freaking on' someone at your job. Jobs are good, freaking not so good.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I am not taking anyone else jist omega 3 fish oil for concentration and Vital greens for energy and Silica for collegan boost. What does CT mean? Yes I feel like I am pms'ing x100!! Lol thx for the reply :) I will read up on what u mentioned...

Recent:

• Administrator

CT means cold turkey.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

So am I correctly understanding that you quit CT around the end of the year, then a few days later you went back to the full 20 mg, then after a couple of days you cut to 10 mg?

It's not surprising that you're experiencing withdrawal effects. That's a lot of bouncing around and ending up with a 50% cut, which is more than we would ever recommend.

If you can tolerate your condition now, I think your best bet would be to just stay at the 10 mg for a while until things settle down. It could take a month, or longer. Or less. Your body is the expert.

If your condition is intolerable you might want to think about going up a bit, to 12-15 mg, and then staying there for at least a few weeks to see how your body responds.

As I said before, it is apparent that you are not one of those lucky folks who can take these meds and then come right off them easily. Best to work with your body/brain as it is, not as you wish it were or as your doctor thinks it should be, if that makes sense...

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...

OK I am back. Was sooooo sick last 4 days. After tapering to my last dosage of .1 mg of paxil vomiting and fl symptoms it was hell today I feel the best. But Noe I founf out I am pregnant (5 weeks Now:) but I will be no longer on paxil in 2 days and dreading I will feel this way again and worried I may miscarry if I am soo sick again.... I hate Paxil I wish I knew all about this before I started taking it...

Recent:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Tam ,   welcome back.   

Just to clarify , have you tapered down to 0.1mg paxil since 3 January?

I'm worried you will get sick again too.     I don't know how paxil affects pregnancy , but am sure others here do.

Do you have any other withdrawal symptoms yet besides the vomiting and flu' ?

Best wishes ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh. Yes I have been tapering since then two weeks for each 10% down in taper from 20 mg. I was only taking Paxil for 4 months prior not long but long enough now I see as I'm having bad withdrawl. I am dreading tomorrow as it will be my last day on it and I don't want the flu to come back :( been so hard the past 5 days I finally feel OK today but very tired and queasy..

Recent:

• Moderator Emeritus

I remember reading something by David Healy which says - the antidepressant is risky for the baby.

The stress of withdrawal is also risky to the baby.  But that if it were his baby, he'd rather risk the withdrawal, than risk the drug.

I don't mean to be scary - we'll support you as much as we can - but I think staying off the drug - as hard as it is - will be the best choice for the baby.

You have tapered very fast - but at least you are close enough to the end of your taper, you can maybe hold on at 0.

If it becomes unbearable, you could reinstate a TINY amount   What is your last dose of Paxil?  I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm thinking if you have unbearable symptoms and need to go back to 1-2 mg, you might ease your withdrawal enough to uphold the pregnancy - and that TINY dose will be LESS risk than a full blown dose of Paxil on a developing brain.

That said, there have been SA'rs who have had AD's during pregnancy, and the baby had to go through withdrawal, and other babies born with birth defects or didn't make it.  So the less drug, the better.  Any drug, especially the ones on this site (psych drugs) are a risk to an unborn child.

Again, sorry, I don't mean to be scary, but it's scary for us at SA, too, knowing that one of our own is pregnant, and knowing how much care needs to be taken with pregnancy.

Hopefully this nausea is from morning sickness and not withdrawal, and will clear up soon.  Can you drink mint or ginger tea?  That's the Aussie remedy for unsettled tummy.

Please keep us posted, we're on tenterhooks as you make your last taper.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol. Thanks for the advice. :) Yes I would rather risk the withdrawl for sure....that is a good quote! Just makes me wonder of its withdrawl or being pregnant and queasy it's confusing...well I know its withdrawl for sure actually. I went down to .1 mg last week and got sick for 4 days in bed. Now tmrw is my last weaning day and will be free and clear off it zero!!! I am jistvdreading I will feel the same way as I did today I feel best but I have go through it again and hope it's not longer than 4 days of vomiting and bed ridden ughhhhh just hate these meds...

Recent:

Also is it safe to take 5 htp while weaning? my naturopath instructed me to do so it helps with weaning. But pregnant now I think it made me sick when I took it been taking it for few weeks but I know thevweaning has made me sick too. Stopped for few days cuz I have been sick. She told me to take it for another 2 weeks while off paxil then quit as I'm preggo..

Recent:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tam, another member, Pregnog, is pregnant and wrote to Doctor Healey for advice. She posted his reply on her thread if you want to read it. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7800-pregnog-stopping-escitalopram-in-early-pregnancy-help/

I hope things go well for you and you don't suffer withdrawal too much. Your body is different when pregnant and everything changes ( as if you didn't know that ;) ) so withdrawal can be easier because of the hormones apparently. Hope it is that way for you. 

Congratulations, a new life to look forward to  :wub:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi MammaP ! THANKS so much I will check out her link...:) Yes I am happy I am preggy makes me look forward to life again :)

Recent:

• Moderator Emeritus

We don't recommend 5HTP while tapering as it can interact with other drugs, and it is not safe to take in pregnancy.

We have a topic on it here...http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-tryptophan/ 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Wow!!! That is crazy!! Thanks MammaP! I will not continue to take it now :) just take my B12...

Recent:

• Administrator

I am sorry this has been so difficult, tam.

You might take a tiny crumb of Paxil now and then if the withdrawal symptoms get too much for you. This helps some people get over the rough patches, and isn't likely to hurt the baby.

I hope you are one of those people with short recoveries from withdrawal syndrome. The pregnancy hormones should help, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanka Altostrata :) tomorrow is the day I be at zero.... Hoping it goes well in the next few days and on... I am glad to hear pregnancy hormones help with withdrawl :)

Recent: