Pugknows

Pugknows

I'm going to end this madness.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

What do you mean Pug?

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Pug, there is so many of us feeling absolute hell ATM..did something you read, something trigger it? Please hold on with us x

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Just hold on Pug. I feel this way alot because I am always in pain and tingling and burning and waking up all night and feeling so weak that I can't even walk and having chest pain and nausea and headaches etc. it is all too much which is why I am always trying to find answers even when there are none. Ending it would be easier on us but what about those we leave behind? And what about God? It isn't our life to take it's God's. I don't know why he has chosen to continually leave us to suffer but there must be a reason even if we don't see it or understand it. I wish I knew you in real life so I could go over there and hug you and make you a tea and suffer beside you. Do your best to hold on sweetie. Please! I do care what happens to you.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

(((Pug))) hold on!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

(((Pug))) hold on!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

I just can't. I love you all.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Pug, please hold on. I'm praying for you. 

I know exactly how you feel. I have strong thoughts and urges of ending it almost every day.. But I'm hanging in there, because this hell we're going through is just a bad trip, it might take long, but it will pass. And deep within myself I know life is beautiful and I know I will be able to enjoy and love life again, and so will you. 

Please don't lose hope, don't stop trusting God, don't stop trusting in yourself and your own strength.

Hugs and Prayers 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

Love to you, Pug xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Yes, I forget through this but life is beautiful and we will feel it and see that again..

Pug, no matter how bad it seems right now, this is all just temporary. Praying and trusting God to pull you out of this hole!

Love you too!

Pug please - hold on. You are absolutely going to get better.

Let us know you are ok.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

No pug!!! No!!!! It's going to get better I swear to God, I was EXACTLY where you were yesterday and even this morning and the horrific terror has lifted!!! Be strong, we are all here, let us carry you!!!! Deep breaths in and out, minute by minute, hour by hour. Find ANYTHING to distract yourself. Watch funny videos on YouTube, blast music, play solitaire, just anything. If I'm really losing it I shove ice cubes all over my face and in my mouth haha. You are amazing pug, I believe in you!!!!

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

Love you Pug. Please tell us you are ok. You can be strong and hang on. We are all hanging on and you can too!

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

please hang on Pug-we love you

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Don't give up hope Pug. God has a plan for your life. He does love you and knows of your suffering. You also have friends in this community.

Come on pug, please let us know you're okay. If you want tonight we can talk on the phone, I'll message you my number.

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

Pug, I hope you're ok. I really hope you're ok. My thoughts are with you. Xx

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Pug, please let us know you are ok. I will be following your example. I will make a quick taper and then go a c/t. Because with tapering I think my body does not heal anything. How is Opie? Did you alreafy cook for her something good?

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Good morning Pug.  I am scared for you right now.  I pray that you are ok.  Love you bunches and I am thinking about you every minute.  Be strong please.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Same here, Pug. Please let us hear from you!

Thank you all for your love and support. It means the world to me. It's all I have. I'm alone and very scared. I called my ex husband and pleaded with him to tell my children and grandchildren that I died in my sleep. He reminded me when his dad died there were police and coroners involved and there would be an autopsy and the truth would come out. So, here I am in this terror again another day. I really don't know what to do to break this cycle of absolute horror. I breathe deeply. I pray to God and beg. I'm alone. I've never been suicidal in my life. I know now how people get to the breaking point of taking their own lives. It's no longer a mystery to me. Daily physical and mental torture will push you there. I am here just today. Who knows about tomorrow? I don't care about myself anymore. I do care about all of you dear friends though. Thank you for caring about me. I pray that God lifts me up just enough to withstand another tortuous day. God bless you.

Pug, I know we are all afraid that if we check into a hospital we will be drugged. However, we can exert some control over what we take, if we enter voluntarily. I feel as though you are so fragile right now that your life is at risk, and it might make sense to go to a safe place for a few days or weeks. Going on as you have been does not seem tenable. If nothing else, finding a counselor who is not a psychiatrist is in order. You have got to do something--hospital, counseling, spiritual guidance from an elder in your faith.

Blackhill went to ER last week, was given some Ativan, and rode out a crisis. I know your beliefs about all drugs, and suspect that you wouldn't take a benzo even once, so I am not saying you should do what he did. But is it possible that a complete rejection of drug intervention is too extreme to carry on indefinitely. As you know, I gave up and went on Wellbutrin, and have a very small supply of Xanax on hand for emergencies. For me the trade-off was a good one, at least for now.

Cold turkey is a very rough road and it is very hard to find appropriate help from medical doctors. I have appreciated the compassion and understanding supplied by Dr. Shipko, but you seem to dislike him. You also mentioned that you don't read his writings. I have read them and have met him. He is a good guy, not a bad guy, and I can recommend him to anyone. He did not try to put me on drugs. When we first met he felt it was obvious I should not be on drugs. But as I slowly calmed down we saw a role for a couple of drugs, and I am out of the despairing dumps.

You have also said in the that you read threads on this site quite a lot. I find that the concentrated doses of the despair of others can be draining, and that thinking all the time about what drugs did to me is disabling in itself. It is not too hard to visit a site about one of your former hobbies and read that, instead. I like gardenweb for that. People post questions and answers on every landscape and gardening topic imaginable.

I wish you only the best, and hope you can take some action towards getting help beyond just empathy and good wishes from SA members. We have those in unlimited supply, but apparently they are not sufficient to keep you safe from suicidal wishes. You seem to be in a deep rut. Please look up and outside of it as often as you can.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Thanks WC. My ex husband thinks I need medication. Maybe I do. We'll see. He suggested I determine a date when I've had enough of this. It's difficult for me to pick the date right now. Maybe a month from now. I don't think I can take it that long.

Pug, thank you for checking in. All I can suggest is to take it one day at a time--just one minute if necessary. I like the idea westcoast has about visiting sites connected with things you have enjoyed in the past--perhaps former hobbies. Try to not dwell quite so much on things SA perhaps. So glad you are OK. ((Hugs))

Oh Pug I am so glad to hear from you. You need to focus on what is best for you to keep you safe and well. I know the road you are on is very rough and seems hopeless but you must find something to help you keep going. We have all been so worried for you and still are. Keep well sweet lady. Love you piles.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Pug, a month is way too long. We all know that one minute can sometimes be too long, and one hour is often too long. I am so glad you have your husband as a friend during this horrible period. You were not always like this...hold on to that. Life is so difficult these days with all of us in our little pods and paperwork jobs, no connection to neighbors, nature, farming, and hardly any need to move our muscles. It is gruesomely difficult with the iatrogenic illnesses we experience.

Your sig is gone btw. Gabapentin, right? Are there any other Gabapentin sufferers who can chime in here with tips?

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Thank you WC. I'm grateful for your post and concern. Just so ill right now and scared I got to the level of despair I did. Afraid now that it will happen again. Have lost all hope for me.

No honey. No losing hope! Let's call this SA Official Wash Your Hair Day instead. I'll go first. All we can do in the throes of withdrawal while home alone is try, try, try, to behave as we used to. Every tiny accomplishment helps.

Back to drugs. One thing in favor of something actually working for you is that your harmful med was Gabapentin. So far you have no way of knowing if a Xanax or an AD would harm you, too. (Unless someone knows otherwise.) It is something to ponder, anyway.

Thank God you are not also dealing with alcohol addiction. In some sense you are a cleaner slate than many of us here. Yet your spine issues cannot be helping.

I went through a period of being simply unreachable, even when I went to counselors, acupuncture, etc, in late 2013. I was crying and angry and scared, and I think I made the helpful people angry and scared too. It is a terrible fix to be in. I couldn't do any better, and no one could reach me. No shrink would prescribe the tranqs I requested, because I was drinking a ton back then. I do not know how I survived it, other than a firm belief that suicide is wrong, and a pretty decent fear that hell is real and the resting place of suicides. My brain was so chemically jumbled by WD and ethanol that a tranq might have killed me, but it sure would have been nice to get some relief.

I'm just rambling now, by way of expressing empathy. But I want to see you step out of this by hook or crook.

Hi Pug

phew!you really had us all scared-so sorry for the awful placeyou're in

I pray you can get the help you need

please reach out in any way you can to save yourself

thoughts & prayers are w/you

love,ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

((((DS and WC)))) thank you. Being so scared and realizing just how weak and vulnerable I am, is beyond anything I've ever experienced. I don't trust myself anymore. I always used to. Now that's gone. Very dark place.

• Moderator Emeritus

((((DS and WC)))) thank you. Being so scared and realizing just how weak and vulnerable I am, is beyond anything I've ever experienced. I don't trust myself anymore. I always used to. Now that's gone. Very dark place.

Pug, I'm so sorry. I've been there. I know.

I think the first thing to do is make sure that it's not easy to harm yourself impulsively. So, no guns in the house. No dangerous drugs or poisons. Any other methods you have thought about, make sure you can't get your hands on them readily. When you're feeling clearer-headed, make sure you get rid of anything like that. Make sure it's not something you can do without going to quite a bit of effort.

Print out some phone numbers of people you can call, and/or a hotline number, and 911, and put them up on the walls in a few places, where you'll see them. Along with a note to yourself saying IF YOU WANT TO HARM YOURSELF CALL THESE NUMBERS RIGHT NOW or something.

When you get to feeling like that, see if you can go somewhere where there are other people around. Not just an Internet forum, an actual physical place, like a library, or a mall, or a church, or a park. If you can interact with other people, that's the best. It will help bring you back to a sense of proportion. If you can go for a walk outside in the sunshine, do that, no matter how you feel.

You can trust yourself overall. Your basic intent is still to live or you wouldn't be here. You just need to find ways to keep yourself safe in those bad moments. And you can do it. You can want to die, and not die. I'm not being trivial. I know what it is to crave death. You can feel it, and not do it.

I had one of the worst suicidal spells of my life when I tried to CT off gabapentin. My heart goes out to you. I am so angry that doctors treat it like this wonderful drug with no dangers at all.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Pug would you say that you're stubborn or generally laid back? Before all this madness obviously.

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

Pug - I'm so relieved you are still with us. Please take care yourself and know this won't be forever.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Do you know where's darker?

My kitchen cupboard.

Seriously, my kids locked me in their earlier and I couldn't see a thing, it was hilarious! Not. Fortunately that's where we keep the crisps, managed to find them but had no idea what flavour they were until I started eating them.

Not unlike Russian roulette only with savoury snacks.

Cheese and Onion, totally lucked out!

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

• Administrator

Pug, a lot of people who hear of your suffering would come to the conclusion you need psychiatric medication. Many doctors and hospitals would simply throw a handful of psychiatric drugs at you. Whether or not these would help or hurt, no one can say.

(Dr. Shipko is not too far from you; he is one of the very few doctors who have an educated guess about what might help. Westcoast had a lucky hit with Wellbutrin -- surely an unusual drug for withdrawal syndrome -- but that was after conferring with Dr. Shipko, who is monitoring her treatment with great care.)

People who have withdrawal syndrome don't have a psychiatric disorder, they have withdrawal syndrome. When you say you have leftover pills, are any of those gabapentin?

If so, a tiny amount of gabapentin, such as 10mg, might help you. If you're willing to gamble with another drug, this might be worth a try first. See Tips for tapering Neurontin (gabapentin) for suggestions about how to take a very small amount.

This site provides support for tapering and for prolonged withdrawal syndrome. The Tapering section is for tapers and the Symptoms and Self-Care forum is for suggestions about how to deal with withdrawal symptoms or withdrawal syndrome.

Unfortunately, we don't have any simple solutions for prolonged withdrawal syndrome. We can't tell you exactly what to do to relieve your symptoms. Some things work for some people and not for others. Each person has to find his or her way.

We have many people in a similar situation to yours, all we can do is encourage them to take care of themselves and have faith in the healing process. We cannot instill this faith. Each person needs to find it within him- or herself. In this way, this terrible condition challenges us and makes us grow.

I know your situation is frightening, but you have already seen some improvement, albeit slow. Turn your thoughts away from trying to predict the future, no one who has come to this site has been able to predict it yet.

You can see Wolfhound was despairing, like you, of recovery, yet she is on her way. The same with many of our "here comes the sun" Intro topics; like you, they thought they'd never recover and were filled with despair.

Withdrawal syndrome puts us in such a state that we are confronted with our worst fears. This is our challenge: Not to let the fear overcome us. Every day, you must deal not only with your withdrawal syndrome but with your fear. The fear is a burden over which you have control.

You have been such a light to others here, please give yourself the same loving care. Do what you can to turn your thoughts from fear to healing. Read the topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum, such as Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms, and the Finding Meaning forum.

We all love you and it hurts us to see you in such pain. Please, please rally your inner strength to take care of yourself, you will prevail.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.