Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

squirrel

I took 3 years to get of Zoloft and did very well while doing so.  Then when I stopped completely - about two months later all hell broke loose and the symptoms were horrendous -  Dizziness, pains in my legs and groin, pins and needles all over my face and pressure bridge of nose,  visual disturbances, sweating profusely, high anxiety  tension headaches and migraines -  It is now 7 years off and still have most but not severe  the ones that continue are pins and needles, visual disturbances, severe anxiety and now depression.  Having said that - I think what is left is more from my anxiety because when night times arrive - those symptoms are gone...But when I wake up in the morning they are all back.  My doctor told me that now what causes my symptoms are my anxiety and panic attacks -  I might be hanging on to symptoms of withdrawal - or they are still there - I just dont know.....Why I think some of the symptoms are withdrawals is because I  have had these same symptoms right from the start.....So yes I am confused......is it still withdrawals or are they now symptoms of severe anxiety.   So strange because at night i feel so much better - also when i ttake a shower and wash my hair the symptoms subside a lot......so who knows -  I am working on my anxiety and not to be so fearful - I think once my anxiety is under control - so will the symptoms.  Has anyone any ideas......

Much Love

Lee

xoxo

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

While vertigo can be a withdrawal symptom, I recently had a bout of vertigo that seems to be due to a common inner ear problem that can come and go, especially in older people.

In that particular case, Alto, where the cause of the vertigo is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), the so-called Epley Maneuver (which is what the video demonstrates) can provide instantaneous relief.  If only all vertigo were so simple.  There are a wide variety of dizziness maladies some of which create spinning sensations and others of which create "floating" or "walking on a trampoline" sensations.  Still other dizziness is a migraine variant which makes it very difficult to treat.  Of course, dizziness is a subjective symptom so how the sufferer describes it can be critical to the treatment that is given.  The most recent entry into the world of dizziness is PPPD (persistent postural perceptual dizziness) which seems to be a mismatch between inputs and outputs from the brain and is a purely subjective issue (one that is closely tied to anxiety).  

Some of these symptoms can well be triggered by withdrawal, others can be independent of it.  I would say, from years of personal challenge with this, that figuring out what is what is not an easy feat.  People who are NOT in withdrawal can take years to get a diagnosis in the dizziness arena.  Withdrawal only makes it that much more confusing.

Ironically, or not so much, the first line of treatment for many of these balance disorders is... antidepressants (usually in low dose) with SSRIs being a frequent "go to" drug and one of the top doctors in this space a strong proponent of Effexor as the first line treatment.  Can't make this stuff up.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Administrator

That is true, @apace41. I mention my experience only for those who might want to try a relatively easy and harmless maneuver that can help. It's not going to work for everyone and probably won't work for withdrawal-related vertigo. (The Epley maneuver is different; there are a half-dozen of these positional treatments. In the video, the doctor says if her "half-somersault" doesn't work, go to your doctor to have Epley, etc. applied.)

But it is possible that some of our members who experience dizziness coincidentally have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, a common age-related condition.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

But it is possible that some of our members who experience dizziness coincidentally have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, a common age-related condition.

Agreed, Alto.  Wasn't intending to be confrontational.  I'm very hypersensitive to the dizziness issue because of years of struggle.

It's a difficult symptom and is very hard to understand.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 3 weeks later...

What causes dizziness/vertigo?

I've been trying to understand exactly what is the mechanism behind this side effect/withdrawal symptom. I'm curious if anyone has found any good information, research papers, etc.

I'm also wondering what others have found (if anything) helps alleviate this particular symptom. Before I had any idea it was related to my taking of SSRI's I thought it might be labyrinthitis and took NSAIDs. It did seem like maybe that helped. Could've been placebo, or could've worked because perhaps inflammation plays a role in the vertigo caused by SSRIs.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

2005 - 2016 on & off methylphenidate and bupropion; short terms trials of other medications; tried many supplements

2016 Nov - 2017 Mar citalopram ramp up 0-->30mg (4 months)

2017 Mar - 2018 Jan held at 30mg (11months); taking 1.5x 20mg tablets, cutting 20mg tablets in half. inconsistency in split tablet led to extreme side effects.

2018 Feb - 2018 May taper 30mg-->20mg (3months), ~2.5mg/month, cutting tablets; at 20mg side effects (vertigo, headache, etc) disappeared

2018 May - 2019 Apr held at 20mg (11months); attempted taper from 20mg; tried ~17.5mg cutting tablets but symptoms too strong

2019 Apr - 2021 Jun tapered 20mg-->10mg (26months); ~5%/month dissolving tablets in water and pipetting with syringe; min lorazepam 2-3x/mo to mitigate symptoms

2021 Jun - 2023 Nov held at 10mg (29months)

2023 Nov - Nov 7 10mg solid to liquid; Dec 7 liquid 10mg; Dec 14 9.9mg; Dec 21 9.8mg; Dec 28 9.75mg; Jan 27 9.65mg; Feb 3 9.53mg; Feb 18 9.45mg

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

"A possible explanation for dizziness following SSRI discontinuation" by Paul F Smith & Cynthia L Darlington, University of Otago

Abstract:

Dizziness is the most commonly reported symptom of abrupt discontinuation from the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) category of antidepressants. The reported dizziness is exacerbated by even slight head movement, and therefore is likely to be vestibular in origin. The SSRIs most implicated are those with short half-lives and which are most selective for serotonin (as opposed to noradrenaline), e.g. paroxetine and sertraline. Since the vestibular nucleus complex (VNC) has an abundance of serotonin receptors, the abrupt withdrawal from an SSRI is likely to have a substantial impact on the electrophysiological activity of neurons within it. Here we suggest that the abrupt withdrawal from an SSRI is likely to cause a sudden decrease in serotonin in the VNC, which will disrupt the function of VNC neurons bilaterally, causing dizziness without vertigo.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/41418537_A_possible_explanation_for_dizziness_following_SSRI_discontinuation

I've suffered from this for around two years. It's extremely variable: there have been periods where I could walk for miles with no problems, and others where I have to have a stick to keep my balance. I've even had a couple of falls because of it. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that helps: it's always been a question of waiting for it to go away.

1999 - 2001: Paroxetine 20mg, 2003: Venlafaxine 75mg, 2003 - 2014: Escitalopram 20mg

1999 - December 2017: Lansoprazole 15mg

2014 - December 2017: Citalopram 20mg

December 2017: Mirtazapine 30mg, stopped after 4 days due to immediate bad reaction, Zopiclone 3.75mg, stopped after 2 days due to immediate bad reaction

January 2018 - April 2018: Citalopram liquid, tapering, final dose 0.1mg

December 2018 onwards: Vitamin C 1000mg

October 2021: Loratadine 10mg for 6 days (23/10 to 28/10)

Long term (for asthma): Salbutamol and Salmeterol inhalers, Salmeterol stopped March 2021 due to migraine headaches

Occasional use for headaches: Paracetamol 40mg or Ibuprofen 40mg

4th December 2021: Eustachian tube infection: Amoxicillin 500mg 3 per day for 5 days, Dexamethasone & Neomycin ear spray 3 per day for 1 week, Beclometasone nasal spray 2 per day for 2 weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

merged similar topics

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks @AlanC for the good info. I was at 30mg citalopram which meant taking 1.5 tablets of 20mg (that's how my doctor prescribed them). I wasn't changing dosages (intentionally) but due to the nature of cutting a tablet in half, the dosages were never really exactly consistent. I had horrible bouts of vertigo during this time. They would last for a week or two, and I would have to grab on to the bed even while I was lying down. I didn't connect it to the citalopram until I tapered down to 20mg and realized I suddenly didn't experience the vertigo at all anymore.

I've now been tapering very, very slowly, and haven't felt anything as severe as I did while at 30mg, but I have had my moments. I try to be a lot more consistent with my dosages now by dissolving a tablet in water, mixing well, and measuring to the same part of the line on the syringe, but I know that has its limits as well. I'm now tuned in enough to notice even a slight feeling of dizziness in my head, usually when I wake up in the middle of the night or the morning, but during the day I hardly ever experience it (and this is only when I experience it, which is not every day).

To add to previous posts in the thread, I also tried the Epley maneuver countless times thinking it may be BPPV. It never helped, and often sent me into worse spins. I'm on the younger side (early 30s) where it's not so common. Thanks @ChessieCat for merging the threads.

2005 - 2016 on & off methylphenidate and bupropion; short terms trials of other medications; tried many supplements

2016 Nov - 2017 Mar citalopram ramp up 0-->30mg (4 months)

2017 Mar - 2018 Jan held at 30mg (11months); taking 1.5x 20mg tablets, cutting 20mg tablets in half. inconsistency in split tablet led to extreme side effects.

2018 Feb - 2018 May taper 30mg-->20mg (3months), ~2.5mg/month, cutting tablets; at 20mg side effects (vertigo, headache, etc) disappeared

2018 May - 2019 Apr held at 20mg (11months); attempted taper from 20mg; tried ~17.5mg cutting tablets but symptoms too strong

2019 Apr - 2021 Jun tapered 20mg-->10mg (26months); ~5%/month dissolving tablets in water and pipetting with syringe; min lorazepam 2-3x/mo to mitigate symptoms

2021 Jun - 2023 Nov held at 10mg (29months)

2023 Nov - Nov 7 10mg solid to liquid; Dec 7 liquid 10mg; Dec 14 9.9mg; Dec 21 9.8mg; Dec 28 9.75mg; Jan 27 9.65mg; Feb 3 9.53mg; Feb 18 9.45mg

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2011 at 1:21 PM, Altostrata said:

Well, at least the physical therapist will be paying attention to you. I've found they are very smart and empathetic.

why would a physical therapist be useful during withdrawl?

prozac 2008. do not know the dose. after a few weeks i had suicidal idealization and went to the hospital 4 days.

xanax .5 mg only took a few times

geodon started 2008. highest dose 180 mg

celexa 2008 40 mg

i tried so many different meds i cannot rrecall the name or dosage but all of them had severe side effects within a week and all were stopped

2008-present geodon. current dose 80mg

2008-present  celexa. current dose 40 mg

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else get constant (never ceasing) dizziness that gets worse when you move your eyes to the left or right side (without moving your head)? I’m totally freaking out. I am being seen by an ENT and we’re looking into things but I just wonder if maybe it’s WD because it started six weeks after my last dose of Prozac...? I know a lot of WD sufferers have dizziness but is it constant and what about the eye movement thing? Thanks.

Approx. 2010 - 2015 sertraline and Xanax (cannot remember doses)
2015 - 2020  CT’d sertraline/Xanax combo and went on fluoxetine (80mg) and Clonazepam (.5mg as needed) at Psych’s advice

September 2020 - bupropion (300mg) - took only 3 doses before getting horrible tinnitus and stopping CT

Week of 20th October 2020 - took 80mg Monday, 40 Tuesday, 20 Wednesday, nothing Thursday, and final 20 Friday (on doctor advice)

December 24 2020 - January 3 2021 - Reinstated Fluoxetine at 10mg (Dec 24th). Too much, tapered down to 5mg (Dec 28). Too much, tapered down to 2.5mg (Dec 31st). Still too much, tapered down to my current 1.25mg (Jan 3 2021).
Currently taking 2mg of Clonazepam. One at night and one in the morning. Fluoxetine (1.25mg) at night. Fish Oil (360mg 3x daily) and Magnesium (122mg a pill, 2 in the afternoon, 1 at night plus another 100mg in hearing sups for my tinnitus)

Also a bunch of other supplements recommended by my ENT in case some of my symptoms are not withdrawal related, so won’t list them here. As well as supplements to treat my tinnitus which is a toxic reaction symptom I received by being proscribed Bupropion while still on Prozac.

I don’t know how to edit a post (UPDATE: I do now sorry it’s so simple I don’t know how I missed it) so I just thought I’d add this question I forgot to ask (I’ve been forgetting a lot lately).

I know everyone is different, but for how long have people’s dizziness symptoms lasted? I’m going on a month with constant dizziness that has left me almost an invalid. Is that normal? Does it ever stop? (I am seeing an ENT to see if other reasons are possible but the timing really seems like it’s the Fluoxetine withdrawal. It started exactly six weeks after I took my last Fluoxetine dose.)

Approx. 2010 - 2015 sertraline and Xanax (cannot remember doses)
2015 - 2020  CT’d sertraline/Xanax combo and went on fluoxetine (80mg) and Clonazepam (.5mg as needed) at Psych’s advice

September 2020 - bupropion (300mg) - took only 3 doses before getting horrible tinnitus and stopping CT

Week of 20th October 2020 - took 80mg Monday, 40 Tuesday, 20 Wednesday, nothing Thursday, and final 20 Friday (on doctor advice)

December 24 2020 - January 3 2021 - Reinstated Fluoxetine at 10mg (Dec 24th). Too much, tapered down to 5mg (Dec 28). Too much, tapered down to 2.5mg (Dec 31st). Still too much, tapered down to my current 1.25mg (Jan 3 2021).
Currently taking 2mg of Clonazepam. One at night and one in the morning. Fluoxetine (1.25mg) at night. Fish Oil (360mg 3x daily) and Magnesium (122mg a pill, 2 in the afternoon, 1 at night plus another 100mg in hearing sups for my tinnitus)

Also a bunch of other supplements recommended by my ENT in case some of my symptoms are not withdrawal related, so won’t list them here. As well as supplements to treat my tinnitus which is a toxic reaction symptom I received by being proscribed Bupropion while still on Prozac.

• Moderator Emeritus

Nosummer,

Have you read through this topic?  There are a LOT of very detailed posts addressing dizziness issues and the possibility they are purely from w/d as opposed to other vestibular, anxiety, etc. issues.

Read through this and if you don't feel like you get a general sense, please let us know.  I think the answer is that w/d can upset the nervous system in ways that lead to dizzy sensations.  How long that may last is very variable.  There are plenty of people who have similar sensations who have never been on a psych med so it is clear that withdrawal is not the only way you can wind up with this condition.

It's not easy to deal with and the most frustrating thing is probably that the first line treatment for the dizziness is benzos, SSRIs and SNRIs.  Round and round.

Best,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering, Squirrel, if the dizziness ever resolved?

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if those of you whom have suffered with long term dizziness could give a quick update, ie how long and if it has resolved. Thank you!

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

3 hours ago, cathnz said:

There is a great book and fb support site called Rock Steady which supports those with tinnitus and vertigo.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, as Chessie said, for any of you not familiar with Joey Remnyi I would strongly suggest you check her out.  Her website is Seeking Balance:

https://www.seekingbalance.com.au/

She has a ton of free stuff, YouTube videos, etc., and the book is really a good dive into neuroplasticity and how to heal from what she calls "Not Quite Right" feelings.

Worth checking out.

Best,

Andy

• 6 months later...

@AltostrataHi there! I recently got off of an antispasmodic and antiinflammatory prescribed by my GI dr before I realized tapering off lexapro caused my stomach issues. I was on them for months and before I did a cold turkey for 6 days and crashed. I gradually dropped them and finally got rid of the last antiinflammatory called mesalamine. Ever since I dropped it, my body inflammation has been so awful and I've been dizzy and cannot focus on objects, especailly if Im looking outside. Could this be a side effect of a med that was helping WD symptoms short term but prevents me from healing long term? Is it something I'll have to wait out like everything else? Could me being overly stressed cause the dizziness and out of body feeling? My illness is stressing me out because of my stomach issues I have with lots of bacteria overgrowth that I cant heal with supplements bc I cant tolerate them and my dad is dying. 

-2014: Lexapro/escitalopram 10 mg, 2015-2021: Lexapro/escitalopram 20 mg

-10/2020-3/2021: decreased 20 mg to 15 mg, 1 mg a month

-4/2021: decreased to 10 mg, held for 11 days, 4/2021: decreased to 5 mg, held for 8 days

-4/2021: 3-6 days cold turkey lexapro, withdrawal symptoms so reinstated 2.5 mg 

-omeprazole taper: 9/2021 cut 25%, 10/20/21 25% cut, 12/1/21 25%, 12/28/21 25% cut, (9/36 beads of 40 mg)

-11/2020 omeprazole 20 mg, 3/2021: omeprazole 40 mg,

-Nordic Naturals Ultimate omega 3 fish pill: 1280 mg

-montelukast: 10 mg dailyzyrtec: 10 mg daily 

-3/20/2021-7/25: mesalamine 1.2 GM, 3 times a day - dropped

-birth control: Trilinyah 2014- 2/1/2021 quit cold turkey middle of pack 

7/16/2021-8/1/2021 Quicksilver Liposomal multivitamin liquid: biotin, zinc, Vitamins A, C, D E, K, Niacin,, Thiomine, Riboflavin,Vitamin B6, B12, 7/16/2021- 8/25/2021 - boswelia complex (tumeric. ginger, celery) - 2 a day - dropped

7/16/2021 - probiophage probiotic - dropped 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Sicksagittarius said:

@AltostrataHi there! I recently got off of an antispasmodic and antiinflammatory prescribed by my GI dr before I realized tapering off lexapro caused my stomach issues. I was on them for months and before I did a cold turkey for 6 days and crashed. I gradually dropped them and finally got rid of the last antiinflammatory called mesalamine. Ever since I dropped it, my body inflammation has been so awful and I've been dizzy and cannot focus on objects, especailly if Im looking outside. Could this be a side effect of a med that was helping WD symptoms short term but prevents me from healing long term? Is it something I'll have to wait out like everything else? Could me being overly stressed cause the dizziness and out of body feeling? My illness is stressing me out because of my stomach issues I have with lots of bacteria overgrowth that I cant heal with supplements bc I cant tolerate them and my dad is dying. 

I have no idea. You sound very ill with the stomach issues. I cannot help you with general medical questions.

I am sorry your dad is dying.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 3:54 AM, Itzakadoozee said:

I'm in the exact same boat as you with this lexapro WD. Dizziness, depersonalization, and detachment. Hang in there!

Hi, I know this post is a few years old. Did this improve over time? I am at week 7 with Celexa WD/12 weeks for Prozac, and the dizziness, vertigo, depersonalization and detachment are pretty bad right now. I am fighting the urge to go back on something just to stop it, but really don't want to. Any advice is welcomed, thank you!

2001 - 2018 - 40 mg Prozac

2018 - 2020 - 40 mg Zoloft

2020 - Jan 40mg Celexa / June 40mg Zoloft /July 10mg Effexor /Aug 10mg Lexapro /Sept 20mg Lexapro/ Dec 40mg Lexapro

2021 - July 40mg Zoloft /  Sept 40mg Prozac with ramp(worked up to 40 mg dosage) / Oct 40mg Celexa / Nov 19 stopped Celexa CT

Other medications - 20mg Propanolol 2x day, 0.5mg Lorazapam as needed 

Supplements - multivitamin, Tumeric, Omega 3

Boaty/Dizzy, PPPD

Has anyone had the symptom of a constant boaty, dizzy, swaying,  feeling, even when lying down?  In fact, it’s seems most noticeable when lying down or forced to be still.  I feel like I’m on a waterbed constantly. It’s not light headed. My head feels very heavy. In fact, lately it’s exhausting holding it up so I am propped in an awkward position all the time and my neck is cricked and deteriorating because of it.  It’s horrific. Did anyone have it go away ?  

I have had this since 1996, several years after I came off anti depressants and Benzo’s the first time, if I recall correctly.  I don’t recall having it in my teens or early 20’s.   I managed to deal with it by only driving to the store or having people drive me to work or sitting in the back of a facility so I could lean on a wall during meetings or concerts or graduations or family dinners etc until about 2018 when it became so debilitating I gave up.  It has ruined my life. I have given up all goals and missed out on everything especially the last few years. 

I was told it was my original anxiety getting worse or because I didn’t want to increase my dose of whatever AD I was on, always wanting to stay as low as possible.  Then I thought it was benzo related, so I tapered that two years ago and still no relief.  I’m afraid it is something called PPPD Persistent Perceptual Postural Dizziness of which the cure is, you guessed it, anti depressants.  So if it’s much worse now than before the tapers started years ago, was the AD providing some relief and the tapers make it worse or is it caused by the constant state of medication? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

1993-1994  klonopin/Zoloft 

1997-2018 Zolft or Paxil or Lexapro or Prozac and Klonopin or Xanax 

2019—Mirtazipine, Luvox, Klonopin 

2019 Tapered Mirtazipine and Klonopin 

2020-2021—Luvox taper from 100 mg dizzy, boaty, tinnitus, disabled, hopeless 

Jan 2022 Luvox liquid 16.5 mg 

Feb 2022 Luvox liquid 19 increased after weeks of boatiness, still not stable 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, Altostrata said:

While vertigo can be a withdrawal symptom, I recently had a bout of vertigo that seems to be due to a common inner ear problem that can come and go, especially in older people.

I did these exercises and it went away over about a week.

I already had bppv prior to stopping meds. I did this maneuver to try to help it during withdrawal, and it actually caused my pppd/dizziness/motion sensitivity. I lose my balance. I havent been able to drive since the day before I did that maneuver (8/2021).

Celexa (10-40mg) 2003-2011

Celexa (40mg) + Wellbutrin (75mg-150mg) from 2011-2014

Lexapro (20mg) + Wellbutrin (150mg XL) from 2014- 03/2017

Lexapro (20mg) + Wellbutrin (150mg XL) + Buspar (5-15mg) from 03/2017-2018. Added carvedilol 3.125mg BID in 2018.

Saw psych for first time. Switched Lexapro to Zoloft (25mg-150mg) 12/2020-4/2021. Added lamotrigine (12.5mg SID) for 2 weeks in 2/2021. Discontinued Buspar 2/2021. Switched Zoloft (100mg) to Paxil (20mg) 3/2021-4/29/21. Added Abilify (2.5mg) 4/19/21-4/28/21. Told to discontinue all meds immediately on 4/29/21 due to concern for serotonin syndrome. 

Seroquel (12.5mg) 5/19/21-5/23/21. Prozac (10mg) 6/22/21-6/30/21 (different psych). Pristiq er (50mg) 8/20/21 (ER psych), adverse reaction. 8/25/21- klonopin (0.25mg BID)

Trintellix (5mg) 8/31/21-9/22/21 (primary provider). Lexapro (5mg) 9/23/21-10/8/21 (new and current psych). Lexapro 2.5mg 10/9/21-11/5/21. Began taper 11/6/21, 0.5mg every 4 weeks. 1mg 1/1-1/7, 0.5mg 1/8-1/14. 0mg 1/14.

2/11- klonopin 0.19mg am; 0.25mg pm. 6/29- 0.125mg AM; 0.25mg PM. 

3/29- lexapro 0.1mg. 4/17- 0.2mg. 5/4- 0.3mg. 5/23- 0.4mg. 6/11- 0.5mg. 6/30- 1mg. 7/4- 0.5mg. 7/12- 0.6mg. 7/30-0.7mg.

medtimeline.docx protracted withdrawal timeline.docx

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, apace41 said:

In that particular case, Alto, where the cause of the vertigo is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), the so-called Epley Maneuver (which is what the video demonstrates) can provide instantaneous relief.  If only all vertigo were so simple.  There are a wide variety of dizziness maladies some of which create spinning sensations and others of which create "floating" or "walking on a trampoline" sensations.  Still other dizziness is a migraine variant which makes it very difficult to treat.  Of course, dizziness is a subjective symptom so how the sufferer describes it can be critical to the treatment that is given.  The most recent entry into the world of dizziness is PPPD (persistent postural perceptual dizziness) which seems to be a mismatch between inputs and outputs from the brain and is a purely subjective issue (one that is closely tied to anxiety).  

Some of these symptoms can well be triggered by withdrawal, others can be independent of it.  I would say, from years of personal challenge with this, that figuring out what is what is not an easy feat.  People who are NOT in withdrawal can take years to get a diagnosis in the dizziness arena.  Withdrawal only makes it that much more confusing.

Ironically, or not so much, the first line of treatment for many of these balance disorders is... antidepressants (usually in low dose) with SSRIs being a frequent "go to" drug and one of the top doctors in this space a strong proponent of Effexor as the first line treatment.  Can't make this stuff up.

Best,

Andy

Hello, I’m just reading thru some of the dizzy posts and I’m just wondering if anyone has found relief or been able to ascertain if it is withdrawal/tolerance or an actual conditon.  I suffer horrific non stop boatiness , swaying, pulling sensations every time I get down to a super low point and can’t get past it. @apace41

1.  It can’t be a return of symptoms because I never had this sensation before starting meds in 1993.  

2.  I first noticed it some time after I tapered a year long course of Zoloft/Klonopin in 1994.  
3.  It has been present pretty much in some degree of severity even while on the meds for many many years.  
4.  The only description I’ve found that sounds exactly like what I’m feeling and I mean EXACTLY and I’ve never heard anyone with basically only this symptom is with a syndrome called “MdDs”.  I don’t even really have the old anxiety anymore except from this destabilizing symptom which is also causing depression and hopelessness.  

5.  I never thought it could be “MdDs” because I didn’t go on any journey but now I’ve read it can be triggered by quitting meds.  
6.  Unfortunately, the treatment for it is benzos and anti depressants so I don’t know if it is the syndrome caused by the very first taper and getting worse because I’m tapering the treatment. What a catch 22.  
7.   I did feel like a had some windows this week after holding my taper for the last several weeks per everyone’s advice but I tried to go out to breakfast with my sister and was just rocking in the booth and it was so miserable, so I think I only felt the window  because I was literally doing nothing but being in my house basically accepting and giving up. 

8.   I know you’re all not doctors but I’m suffering horrifically and any input, support is appreciated.

9.  I did one cut this week 1/31 so 7 days ago from 16.5 to 16 mg liquid taper….it’s literally 1/5 of 1 mil in my syringe so I don’t see how it’s possible it could cause this much increase in symptoms and if it does this each .5 mg, I will never get off. 

1993-1994  klonopin/Zoloft 

1997-2018 Zolft or Paxil or Lexapro or Prozac and Klonopin or Xanax 

2019—Mirtazipine, Luvox, Klonopin 

2019 Tapered Mirtazipine and Klonopin 

2020-2021—Luvox taper from 100 mg dizzy, boaty, tinnitus, disabled, hopeless 

Jan 2022 Luvox liquid 16.5 mg 

Feb 2022 Luvox liquid 19 increased after weeks of boatiness, still not stable 

• 1 month later...

hi all, i have been struggling with near constant vertigo for the past two weeks now. first time in my life and i'm in my late 20s. it is better when i wake up in the morning and worse around 2 hours after i take my meds, then lasts the rest of the day + night. i am seeing an ear doctor soon, but i have struggled with migraine symptoms since being on the escitalopram and i'm worried this may be a vestibular migraine that i get because of my medication. is that possible? any suggestions? i am considering splitting up my dose (1.2ML morning and 1.1ML evening) instead of taking it all at once to see if that helps... 

2014 - started 10mg Escitalopram

2015-2017 - 15mg

2017 - feel lethargic; go down to 10mg, no WD symptoms 

2018 - try quitting cold turkey; bad WD, reinstate at 5mg  

2019 -2021 try to taper off too quickly, reinstate at 2.5mg and hold; few WD symptoms (headaches, GI symptoms, bouts of panic) but mostly windows!

2022: switch to liquid to begin tapering from 2.5 ML (didn't bridge from pill form first which may have led to more WD symptoms)

- Jan-March 2.3ML; GI symptoms (diarrhea, heartburn, stomach cramps); some panic/hypochondria; 

- March: 2.2ML; begin getting constant vertigo. take a steroid for two days at advice of ENT and have big setback 

Currently: 2.6 ML and holding 

Supplements: B12 and D3 for deficiencies; Magnesium 400mg + B2 400mg for migraines; fish oil 

• 3 months later...
On 9/11/2018 at 4:57 PM, TortugaHealing said:

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone is having the rocking/swaying feeling (like being in a boat), and also light sensitivity, balance issues (worst in the shower), and horizontal eye movements back and forth?  Going to see an opthamologist as soon as I can make an appointment.  Thanks!  Eye movements are creeping me out!

This is me right now. Did you heal? @TortugaHealing

36/M, started 10mg escitalopram June 2011

Sept 20th 2021 - increased 10mg to 15mg.
Oct 1st 2021 -November 16th 2021 drug merry go round. Effexor, Zoloft, pristiq.
Nov 22nd 2021 - lexapro 5mg

nov 29th, 2021 - lexapro 10mg

Dec 29th, 2021 - lexapro 15mg

Jan 20th, 2022 - lexapro 20mg

Jan 25th,2022 - lexapro 15mg,Feb 15th,2022 - lexapro 10mg ,Nov 22nd, 2021 - Dec 20th, 2021 -Xanax .25 X2 a day,Dec 20th, 2021 - Jan 16th, 2022 Klonopin .25 daily

,-June 25 - 7.5mg pill, 2.5mg liquid ,-June 28 - 5mg pill, 5mg liquid ,-July 18th - 9.8mg (5mg pill, 4.8mg liquid),-Aug 1 - 9.6mg (5mg pill, 4.6 liquid) ,-Aug 16 - All liquid (9.6MG) ,-Sept 18th - 9.4MG,-Oct 18th - 9.2MG. -Nov 21st - 9MG 2023, April 17th - 8.8MG, May 15th - 8.6MG, June 19th - 8.4MG, Aug 1 - 8.2Mg, Sept 2, 8mg, Oct 9th 7.8mg, Nov 6, 7.6mg, Dec 8th, 7.4mg, Jan 23, 7.2mg Feb 28th 7.1ML, March 13 7ML March 30 6.8ml magnesium, fish oil, b vitamins D3

• 1 month later...

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 2 months later...

I have posted this on my own thread but thought I would put it out here to see if any one has had the same I only sleep 3-4 hours a night but I have been feeling so tired in the morning that I have this overwhelming feeling of being drunk or high I just lay on the sofa and cannot keep my eyes open I close them to sleep but just feel myself drifting I cannot sleep because i feel drunk I do not drink alcohol or do any drugs or smoke but the overwhelming feeling last all day can anyone relate 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like the typical effect of lack of sleep.

Do an online internet search for the term:  comparing lack of sleep to being drunk.

An example of what the above search brings up:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/work-hour-training-for-nurses/longhours/mod3/08.html

Several studies show similarities between fatigue-related impairment in cognitive and physiological functioning, and impairments due to alcohol intoxication.14,18,19 Participants’ performances were tested and compared under two separate conditions: (1) after staying awake for extended periods and (2) after reaching a certain blood alcohol concentration (BAC). These studies suggest:

• Being awake for 17 hours is similar to having a BAC of 0.05%.
  • Being awake for 24 hours is similar to having a BAC of 0.10%.

A search for the term:  how do you feel when you don't get enough sleephow do you feel from

And from https://www.pihhealth.org/wellness/articles/enough-sleep/

• You can’t think. A lack of sleep can affect your ability to remember and process information. Decision-making, reasoning and problem-solving skills may also be impacted.
  • You’re not as alert. Missing out on just 1 ½ hours of sleep can impact how alert you feel. Your reaction time may also be slower.
  • You’re at greater risk of injury. You are three times more likely to be involved in a car accident if you sleep 6 hours or less a night, according to the National Sleep Foundation. Your risk of other accidents may also increase when you’re tired.

• Administrator

I remember those days. I always called it being "punch drunk" But yep, had that quite a bit for sure!

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

• Moderator Emeritus

When I hurt my back I had several days in a row when I hardly slept.  It wasn't until that happened that I truly understood how members here suffering from constant insomnia felt.

I can remember saying to my daughter that I can see why they use sleep deprivation as a torture because it truly is.

15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

When I hurt my back I had several days in a row when I hardly slept.  It wasn't until that happened that I truly understood how members here suffering from constant insomnia felt.

I can remember saying to my daughter that I can see why they use sleep deprivation as a torture because it truly is.

I have only slept on average about 3 to 4 hours a sleep in any night for the last 6 years I believe that is part of the reason my recovery has taken so long I can truly say I have not ever slept more than 4 hours and that’s on a good night and I have tried so much to try to sleep but I can’t get past 2am even if I go the bed at 1 am 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever had a sleep study done/been checked for sleep apnea?  You might have a medical condition that is unrelated to stopping the drugs and there might be a treatment, for example a Cpap machine or changing your diet so that you lose weight if that is the cause.

We have to be our own detective and of course take into consideration that as we age we may develop a condition that is not related to the WD.

Another thing to consider is are you being disturbed by something or someone during the night time.  Do you need a new mattress or pillow.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone,

i’ve been tapering citalopram 20mg for almost 2 years now. Luckily i came accross this website before starting tapering and got advised to use the Brassmonekey technique.

The journey has been quite smooth until last summer when, after tapering to about 6mg I started feeling super anxious, depressed and really dizzy. I eventually pulled it through somehow and after a few months felt better.

I now got to about 4.15mg and i started again feeling super dizzy, like crazy vertigo that comes at some point during the day and make me feel i would pass out. 

Stupidly around 2 weeks ago i tried microdose psilocybin and, even though was helping my anxiety, it almost made the dizziness worse.

i’ve now stopped and i still feel dizzy. Even though i can still function it make me super scared and anxious that i might pass out one day. I know the anxiety is not helping and is probably making the symptoms worse but i really can’t help it. 

Does anyone feel this dizzy? I know it’s hard to know how long it will take to feel better but please give me some hope and tell me that it goes away.

Thank you❤️

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 3:39 PM, SteCitalopram said:

Anyone please?

Hi Ste,

You should be grateful, that you didn’t make the mistake to taper to fast, like I did. 
I used Escitalopram for 18 years, and made a complete withdrawal only within 5 weeks!😢 My doctor just adviced me to do so, and I tapered from 20 mg 5 mg less per week. And since then I have these unbearable symptoms, which are permanently there every single day😢 The heavy dizziness  is only one of the symptoms, sometimes I am not even able to read the newspaper, or to do other  simple things. 
If I could tell you way to overcome this feelings, I would tell you immediately, but there ain‘t no way, that I know about. That’s why I thought about reinstating the drug, but I think it’s a high risk, even after a year after the withdrawal, which could be called cold turkey. I try to fight against my symptoms, with different herbal products. The only thing whichngives me a little effect, is a pot of black tea. Wish you the best! Greetings Rainer 

18 years of Escitalopram/ Lexapro 

• since 2004 until December 2021 Escitalopram/ Lexapro
  • Jan 2004 until June 2004 10 mg Escitalopram 
  • July 2004 until March 2011 20 mg Escitalopram 
  • 2011 until 2016  10 mg Escitalopram
  • 2016 until Dec 2021  20 mg Escitalopram
  • Dec 2021 until end of Jan 2022  5-week taper of Escitalopram, 5mg less per week to 0 end of Jan 2022/ last doses 2,5 mg /1,25 mg

Trying to reinstate with Vortioxetin/Brintellix used instead of Escitalopram/ Lexapro! in June 2022 Vortioxetin 10mg only for about 2 days; the 5 mg for 2 weeks, then Stop because of the effects of worse symptoms ( dose to high !? ) 

Starting to reinstate Lexapro on March 25th, 2023 with 0,25 mg following 26th March 0,5 mg; since 2nd of April 1 mg liquid drop; in between again dose cut to 0,5 for 2 days; increased again on April 4 th to 1 mg until 23th April;  reduced dose 0,5 mg again on 24th April 23 - 30.04.23; reduced dose effective May 1st, 23 to 0,25 mg. 

currently supplements are Diasporal Magnesiumcitrat 300 mg and Doppelherz Omega 3 Fatty Acids 1400 mg EPA 285 mg/ DHA 190 mg , Multivitamine Fruit Juice La Vita 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2011 at 6:50 PM, Altostrata said:

Acta Otolaryngol. 2010 Sep;130(9):981-3.

A possible explanation for dizziness following SSRI discontinuation.

Smith PF, Darlington CL.

Source

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand. paul.smith@stonebow.otago.ac.nz

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20144124 Full text at http://www.mediafire.com/?3v4waouysa70j6q

Dizziness is the most commonly reported symptom of abrupt discontinuation from the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) category of antidepressants. The reported dizziness is exacerbated by even slight head movement, and therefore is likely to be vestibular in origin. The SSRIs most implicated are those with short half-lives and which are most selective for serotonin (as opposed to noradrenaline), e.g. paroxetine and sertraline. Since the vestibular nucleus complex (VNC) has an abundance of serotonin receptors, the abrupt withdrawal from an SSRI is likely to have a substantial impact on the electrophysiological activity of neurons within it. Here we suggest that the abrupt withdrawal from an SSRI is likely to cause a sudden decrease in serotonin in the VNC, which will disrupt the function of VNC neurons bilaterally, causing dizziness without vertigo.

Hello Alrostrata,

We’ve speaking in another forum about Ceasar65, but this post is for helping myself. 

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this? Any medication or supplement? 

I have this exact same vertigo, with swaying and dizziness gets worse with head movements. 

I only took SSRI’s for 6 weeks and my doc said I could go off it, I still added some taper doses. Wow! Did I find out the hard way he was wrong. Yep, I got everything in the list of withdrawals. Every single one except headache & nausea. I wish I had gotten those ones instead (easily manageable or treatable).

Today is complete 4 weeks that I’ve experienced withdrawals. Some have come and gone, others are still hanging out with me.

I’ve now got a cervical collar that restricts my head movements. Which has been quite helpful.

Thanks Amit

Jan 1-15 2023 - Ativan 2mg

Jan 1-12 2023 - Trintellix 10mg

Jan 14-16 2023 - Escitalopram 5mg

Jan 15-Jan 20 2023 - Ativan 1mg

Jan 21-30 2023 - Ativan 0.5mg Slow taper down - 5 days 0.5mg once a day. Then 0.5 mg every other day for 3 doses.

Jan 17- Feb 04 2023 - Escitalopram 10mg

Feb 05-14 2023 - 5mg for 5 days, then 2.5mg for 4 days. Feb 15 - Zero Mg Escitalopram

Mar 11, 2023 - Propranolol 20mg

• Administrator

Dizziness is a common withdrawal symptom. We do not know the cause. 

However, dizziness and vertigo can also be caused by inner ear conditions and other medical conditions.

That is all I can say about it.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy