elliotsmum -- off Pristiq

Eliotsmum

Hi Eli,

It's easy for me to sit here and make suggestions, because I'm not standing in your shoes. But if the trip is likely to be relaxing and you'll be among friends and maybe have a few distractions to get you out of your own head... I think it's worth going. Maybe a change of scenery would be a helpful thing. What if you have a few good days while you are there?

Don't forget to take a few deep breaths.

I am so proud of you for taking your morning walks.

I send you a big virtual hug. I am thinking of you and pulling for you. Please hang on.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eliotsmum

• Altostrata

• Nadia

• ajay

• Administrator

A relaxing trip among friends sounds wonderful.

Try not to worry, elliots. Tell them you're recuperating and very, very happy to be there but you may just be quiet and rest a lot of the time.

Can you drink smoothies? There was a time when I subsisted on smoothies, kefir, and yogurt.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been to the family Dr and Naturopath today. I am really not coping well, I can't eat and am barely functioning. I need help. Dr put me on fast track to get counselling right away. Naturopath has blood tests and adrenal tests. I am low on B12, and iron, also, adrenals are functioning at a very low level. So she is giving me B vitamins by a shot in the bum for the next 5 weeks to kick start my adrenal glands to function properly. I also have Iron supplement. The Dr suggested that I consider going back on Cipralex at 5mg to stabilize me. Then we will reassess how/if to get off it. I know this was suggested to my by Altostrata a few weeks ago. I talked to my Naturopath at length. She said she has helped many people get off ADS. Some are easier than others. But she suggested maybe there are a few things not in my favour at this time. Menopause is already reaking havoc on my body, low iron, low adrenals, tapering off Pristiq too quickly......she thought it might be a good idea to take the Cipralex 5mg for a time and then reassess all the other things, before tapering off slowly.....I'm scared, but my instincts tell me this was just not a good time to go off....and I am not functioning.....I can't live like this for another few months. I can barely eat. So, although I feel somewhat of a failure... I am going to go back on the Cipralex at 5mg. (BTW, the Naturopath told me not to go on Effexor....that that was a bad one to try to wean off of) So....I hope you guys don't think badly of me....I feel very upset, but I think this is the best thing for me...... Naturopath suggested I seek a psychologist, rather than a psychiatrist, and the latter are more likely to prescribe me drugs....that we would get me feeling better, maybe get me through menopause, or at least get my hormones in balance with the BHRT and then start weanng me off ADS at a much slower rate.....over a number of months, not weeks....

On antidepressants since October 1997 including: Paxil, Celexa, Cipralex, Effexor (a couple of days only, horrible stuff.....), Pristiq 50 mg.

Started to taper off Pristiq Feb 2011, last pill April 9, 2011

Take the occassional Clonazapam when morning anxiety too much to handle.

Post menopausal - started low dose BHRT 27July10

Reinstated 5mg of Escitalopram (Cipralex), 2 Aug 2010

Stopped taking BHRT 19Aug11

Increased to 10 mg Cipralex 19Aug11

Increased to 15 mg Cipralex 29Aug11

• Administrator

elliots, why citalopram and not Pristiq? Pristiq is what you have withdrawal symptoms from.

I have gotten reports that people are cutting up the Pristiq tablets to taper. This removes the timed-release coating. Its half-life is short, 11 hours, so you may want to take a fraction of a tablet twice a day.

If you're going to take a different antidepressant, a better option would be a small dose of Prozac (fluoxetine), which has a long half-life and is easier to taper off than citalopram.

I agree that a counselor (psychologist) will give you a lot more emotional support than a psychiatrist, who will give you drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I don't want to go on Pristiq because of the timed release. Don't know why he didn't suggest Prozac. I took that one very early on in my depression in 1997 and it didn't sit well with me. Perhaps if I took it now it would be OK. Maybe I will ask to switch to Prozac after a few months. Is this a bad idea? I am feeling so delicate right now. I just want to feel better. Citalopram seemed to sit well with me for quite a while. I also realized, and I think so does my family Dr. that I need help from someone much more in tune with these drugs to taper off them.......I am going with the Citalopram, then will reassess...perhaps you are right, when I try to taper, I will switch to Prozac

On antidepressants since October 1997 including: Paxil, Celexa, Cipralex, Effexor (a couple of days only, horrible stuff.....), Pristiq 50 mg.

• Administrator

elliots, it's unpredictable what your nervous system may tolerate in its hyper-reactive state.

I would minimize any switching among drugs now and in the future. This puts additional stress on your nervous system.

I would get liquid fluoxetine (Prozac) and take a very low dose, say, 5mg. See how it works. If it works, stay at that level for month or two, then you have the liquid to taper with.

But, there are no guarantees for any of these options. It's up to you.

You are right there are no guarantees, I think I've decided that I just need to get my system back to functioning in a healthy manner, adrenals, iron, menopause symptoms, then I will try again. I hear any ADS can be compounded into a liquid, so, if I decide to stay the course with Citalopram, I can do that to wean off it VERY gradually. I will only do that once I know that I am healthy otherwise and menopause is stabilized too. For now, I will be off work for a few weeks, to get better. I just told my bf to go on the trip without me. I want him to have a break and have fun. I will stay with a friend or with my parents if I need help.

Just this morning I was wondering how you were...

Just want you to know I don't think anyone is disappointed in anything you choose to do. It's all your choice. I hope things work out for you and keep us posted!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Hi Eliotsmum,

I am right there with you......I am not coping well either and seem to be in a similar position.

I choose to reinstate after 7 weeks off Effexor and it has been hell so far.

I felt very defeated and disappointed but the way it was going wasn't too good.

Like you, I am scared and this has propelled me into severe anxiety which has its own set of symptoms.

Right now I don't know whether I am burning and prickling( parasthesia) all over from anxiety or the withdrawal effects still from effexor.

it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the effexor to work..since it has been only 1 week I guess the withdrawal from it is still in effect.

I am somewhat functioning but it isn't great...everything scares me and I don't cope well.

My nervous system is on fire.

I too have to go on a prepaid holiday next week and the withdrawal and reinstating issue could not come at a worse time.

I am scared to death to fly all the way to Europe while in this state.

My doctor is on holidays at the moment so nowhere to turn to.

If I ever will decide to taper again, it will be over a period of months to years, not in the 10 days I went about doing it.

I agree with Alto, switching to different drugs your system is not used to while your nerves are compromised might not be such a hot idea.

The system is raw and irritated.....adding in stuff it is not used to might just make it worse.

Just don't think people are disappointed in you......you do what you need to do for you.

This is your life, your health, your mental health and plenty of people had to reinstate and try again later.

Whether these were benzos or AD's.

Thinking of you.

10 yrs on 37.5 Effexor

came off too quicky June 2011+ at the same time put on 150mg Wellbutrin.

Things not working out and started to taper off Wellbutrin July 21.

Schedule is:

Week 1: 37.5mg 3 times a day ( total of 112.5 mg)

Week 2: 37.5 mg 2 times a day ( total of 75mg)

Week 3: 18.75mg 2 times a day ( total of 37.5mg)

Week 4: 18.75mg once day

Week 5: off

As of July 27th...reinstated on Effexor 37.5mg

Nadia and aaa, thank you for your kind words. I was in a very bad state last night. ate a bit of food, then felt like i needed to throw it up. Tried twice in 2 hours....nothing....was nervous shaking , upset.... it was horrible. I was cosidering going to the hospital. Today, I am not so bad, but I can't eat because my stomach is so sour. My mum and dad have just gone to the store to get me some Tums and pepto bismal, to see if something will help settle my stomach. I have to start eating something. I'm putting pressure on myself....If I had the flu,I wouldn't eat hardly at alll for a few days. What's wth all this pressure, its making me feel worse'

aaa, do you have to go to Europe, can't you delay or cancel. You are more important......

• Administrator

elliots, you may be able to find citalopram in a liquid form.

If I were you, I'd try a very low dose first, maybe even 1mg, to see how it affects you.

Try not to go to the hospital. They may not understand you are suffering from withdrawal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going with what the doctor recommended 5mg of citalopram and see how that works for the next few months. I need to start functioning again. I will reassess the idea of tapering at a MUCH slower rate, once I have these other things under control. This just wastn't the right time for me....there will be a better time to try this again.....and i will

Today I feel like a total failure.....

• Administrator

Why, elliots? Did you start the citalopram?

If it works, you'll feel better soon.

Elliotsmum, I'm new here, too. Tapered off of Pristiq over the past year. Several ADs for 15 yrs before that. +++ I went thru a horrible time a few years ago triggered by husband job loss and had anxiety and fears of everything. I'm generally very independent and pick up and go anytime, but had trouble just packing a bag. I realize now that I was perimenopausal then. Later learned that PMS symptoms get worse toward menopause and last longer. I hope this may be a little reassuring in some way. I never had PMS mood symptoms when younger, so had no idea what was going on and docs just kept giving me more and more meds (still on some). The 'mood' was an alien-ish feeling unlike any depression or anxiety I knew. Sorry, I don't know how else to describe. It was scary for me.

Please don't beat yourself up! We all are going thru some variation or stage of our own story. It sounds like you have found some good help where you are. It's encouraging to me. I have endocrine issues going on and it's very hard to find any docs who understand both withdrawal and endocrine and can tease out what's what.

I also remember the anxiety of going places, but once I got going, it was much better. I feel better when I have anything to do as my life has gotten very empty over the years. Now I experience anxiety when I'm idle or have nothing planned. It's like claustrophobia in my own home. I often go out for a drive and listen to music. My singing ain't pretty, but it's therapeutic for me! My acupuncturist told me that the Chinese use karaoke to reduce stress. I'm not ready to jump in on that, tho!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

yes i started it 2 days ago. I just went to physio for a somatic release and acupuncture....my physiotherapist said a friend of hers tried 2 or 3 times to stop her antidepressants before she was able to successfully stop. She said perhaps its just not the right timing for me with menopause. I'm going to think of it that way. To look at it otherwise I feel like a failure. But I guess I did learn some things....when I try to stop again. I will be on a regular exercise program, in good health and post menopausal hormones in balance. She told me timing was everything..... Perhaps she is right. I'm just DISAPPOINTED...

A somatic release?? I don't know what that is, but it sure sounds good!

Perhaps something for the Spa of our Dreams? ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

RE: acupuncture. Have you had needles in your upper ear cartilage? I had that done once. I believe it had to do w detox but not certain. It was awhile ago and just came to mind.

Hey E, don't feel bad for your decision. I know what you mean, though... over the years I tried to quit so many times and went back on so many times, and so often it felt like I was failing somehow. Menopause certainly complicates things.

Have you looked into bioidentical hormones? I hear they are much safer (but not effective if you've been on the synthetic kind). I mention it since you are probably just starting and it's the moment to choose!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Hi Nadia: The low dose HRT I am taking turns out to be bioidentical. Thanks for understanding..... I am hoping to stay at the 5mg of Citalopram, get into a regular exercise routine, get healthy, get through menopause for another year maybe, then try again. I am starting to feel better, but I have lost about 20 lbs in the last month. (Part of that could just be from stopping the ADS), but I'm having trouble eating this last weak, and my stomach is constantly sour. I think things may be picking up though. I`m going to really try to stay on the lowest dose of this AD as possible (5mg) and work on the other things I mentioned above. I hope you are making progress.....Sending supportive and healing thoughts your way

Same here, E... keep in touch.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm feeling 'normal' again, but had to reinstate. Am on Cipralex 10 mg. I couldn't go through the w/d anymore, it was 'breaking' me. Just needed to get my life back. I am taking iron, cal/mag/vit D and b12 shots. My naturopath told me that ADS deplete your body of b12. She is suggesting I continue the shots while on the ADS. She told me she has helped get people off ADS, but that some people have a terrible time coming off them and go back on a low dose. Grrrr. My psychologist told me that it can take up to a year for the brain to re'balance after stopping ADS. I feel stuck, but need to live. I will try to taper off this drug at a later time, when I feel in better health. I am committed to building a regular exercise program to create some of my own happy brain chemicals. sigh.........

• Administrator

Well, if taking 10mg works for you, that's good enough.

At least Cipralex is easier to withdraw from.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Hi E. Had just been wondering how you were doing. I'm glad to hear you are back to normal! Keep up the exercise!

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

Eliotsmum, how are you doing?

• 4 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

For anyone reading this topic, I have been tapering Pristiq using compounded capsules with slow release formula.

tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management