Fuhgetabouddit: I need help

Fuhgetabouddit

And here it is, my lovely evening where nearly all of these crazy symptoms subside and I somewhat come alive to my near normal self. Walking around the house recognizing my belongings, being able to actually laugh a little, minimal vision disturbances, less shaking, looking at my family and feeling more connected, being able to get angry...this is all so unbelievable. If I were to meet myself 6 months ago and hear "that" person describe this to the old me, I'd say yeah that girl there needs to be on some kind of medication. Does anyone else here have this??? Where the better part of the day feels like the twilight zone and then evening hits and it's like you had been sleep walking? I'm pretty convinced this is cortisol related (as I said in the past mine was 4 in the morning but even lower at night). I was technically supposed to be taking hydrocortisone for that but I decided to take the natural approach and exercise to build it up instead. I'm very glad I've taken it easy and stopped exercising for the time being bc I could not handle it getting any higher than it already is right now.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuhgetabouddit

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

• Pugknows

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fug, welcome to SA. Sorry you're feeling poorly. ((hugs)) You are describing my daily routine to a tee. 3:30am cortisol surges, followed by ramped up akathisia, drunk druggy feeling, heart palps, anxiety, followed by 4pm nearly normal or greatly decreased intensity of symptoms. Yup. That's my day alright. And I'm grateful for it! It's a good sign you're already at that point!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Hello Fuhget and welcome! I know you will find good info, inspiration, and support here. I am also new and had no idea someone could have such violent reactions to antihistamines! Very scary, and I am so sorry you are suffering, but I know you will heal in time, have faith. Best wishes to you and hugs! ☺️

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

The heart palps have mostly stopped. I do think I have akathisia after reading more. I have an unbelievably uncomfortable inner tremor. I don't pace or rock, no one else can actually see it. But it's there. It just feels like I'm constantly tensed up, jittery inside. At the point this all started, I also felt horribly drunk! Visually, everything appeared JUST as it does when drunk! Although I never had alcohol much before this, that's the only description I could provide to my husband and mother at the time. The last time I had a drink I actually had a panic attack bc I don't like not being alert and in control. Maybe that is why this has hit me so hard. I admit a tendency to panic before but it was nothing like this. I think thyroid disease and anxiety go hand in hand bc of the already pressured endocrine imbalance but they would come on and within a minute I had them back under control. I had a very good strategy for dealing with them. And they were never for no reason. They stemmed from for instance maybe a car is coming at me head on or run me off the road, maybe my child was hurt and the sight of blood got me. Those kinds of panic attacks.

These, this type of panic is out of thin air. No rhyme or reason. My coping strategy right now is running a hot bath up to 5 times per day. That's where I run and hide and it's absolutely out of character for me.

And the real stuff I should be anxious over now isn't fazing me! I have a parent teacher conference coming up and my only worry is how on earth do I come across as normal???

I guess maybe it is good to know that my DHEAS is also high. I read that it is a hormone to counteract the crazy cortisol. I just find it amazeballs that a person who could seemingly no longer make cortisol or thyroid hormone properly can now. That confuses me greatly. I had one good adrenal gland and hypo from autoimmune thyroid disease. So what is making these hormones now? Are the tests falsely elevated? I have no idea.

I'm grateful to hear having some moments from these episodes are a good sign.

1997, 10mg Zoloft, c/t after week, no problems; 1997 lexapro, c/t after week, no problems. 2004 synthroid 88 mcg, Armour thyroid 30 mg. current-synthroid 50 mg, armour thyroid 60 mg. August 2014 4 mg betamethasone inj, rocephin inj, bactrim ds 180/750, epipen inj, 3 mg Albuterol inhaled, benadryl as box instructed for less than 72 hour period, 75 mg effexor, quit after one dose

That sounds like anxiety, and it is the worst feeling. I have had it as WD from Lexapro and Paxil, and its disconcerting at best and completely miserable at worst. I take cheated Magnesium tablets 400 mg at night which is calming and helps me sleep, but you are so sensitive that putting anything into your system right now might not be a good idea. But externally - walking, meditating or just being in nature, listening to calming music, anything that helps you to relax might help too... You will be just fine at the PT conference, those types of things are almost a good distraction and confidence builder, because we see that we really are competent, just going through yucky stuff that makes a regular routine difficult. Hang in there!

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Thank you pre, I'm only taking a multi, b complex with inositol, vit d and vit c right now. I haven't found that they hurt or help at this point so in the recent week I've been slacking on taking them. The vitamins also pose a problem because I have to take thyroid hormone twice a day and that must be spaced out properly. If my head would just stop feeling so full of something and heavy and the cortisol surges would stop, I might could deal with everything else.

1997, 10mg Zoloft, c/t after week, no problems; 1997 lexapro, c/t after week, no problems. 2004 synthroid 88 mcg, Armour thyroid 30 mg. current-synthroid 50 mg, armour thyroid 60 mg. August 2014 4 mg betamethasone inj, rocephin inj, bactrim ds 180/750, epipen inj, 3 mg Albuterol inhaled, benadryl as box instructed for less than 72 hour period, 75 mg effexor, quit after one dose

And Pre, yes neither did I!!! I have often wondered if someone somewhere treating me made an awful mistake and gave me something else that COULD do this, but I suppose since Prozac and other ad's closely mimic benadryl, I guess anything is possible.

Hi Fuhg, You might want to consider not taking ANY of the vitamins for a few days to see if your symptoms subside. I never would have thought they could be over stimulating my nervous system - but CW pointed out that it does happen, so I cut them out along with half my coffee intake and noticed a difference right away. I am trying to limit sweets, but that's more challenging for me!

I had the head fullness that you describe and it is completely gone, as well as much of the other symptoms. My system is apparently much more sensitive to everything than I realized. CW noted that especially the B, C and sometimes D and fish oil can overstimulate. Might be worth trying, you should note a difference within a few days I think. I am only taking my ADs (that I am tapering off) and my Mg at night right now. Today, I felt irritable but I think it's mostly because my son and husband have been home with me for FOUR days in a row because of the holiday and the weather, and I am a little stir crazy! Pray for school and work tomorrow, I love them both but we have had a little too much cooped up togetherness and I need a break! Cheers

I know the feeling about kids and husband! Although I would give anything for those annoying days to be back. Right now I hate being left alone.

I did try fish oil once and it did make things muuuuch worse. I stopped it right away. I think the only reason the multis have not really affected me is bc I was so low in those to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if I am anemic right now as well but the side effects from iron (I've had to take it before about ten years ago) just won't work for me right now so I'm staying away from that.

I'll stop the vitamins for a few days and see if that makes any difference.

I think I'm slowly getting my appetite back but it's in starts and stops. Not at all my normal eating pattern. I'm not craving sweets like I did before, I'm guessing bc my cortisol is so very high. When it was low, coffee and sweets were very hard for me to keep under control. I would have bouts of blood sugar lows from time to time so that never helped matters. I truly have no idea what's going on inside of me right now, I used to always be keen on knowing just what my body wanted or needed and now it just feels like I'm living in someone else's body.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi fuhget , the panic , fear and sense of dread are part of the akathisia package.    I felt for months like I was "living inside a panic attack".  

Maybe the fact that February has overall been an improvement over previous months means you've bottomed-out and are on the way up and out.

I'm hoping so.

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I'm right where you are, Fuhget. It's moderate akathisia, a common WD symptom that will eventually pass. Its oftentimes the last symptom to go before complete recovery. Just breathe deeply and don't feed it. (((hugs)))

Thank you Fresh and Pug, yes February compared to August-January is definite improvement overall. Those last several months I felt like I was just waiting to die. I was completely emotionally and physically numb. The slightest noise or movement would send me into a state of panic I never knew existed.

I'm also sleeping better, around 7+ hours where before I was lucky to get a full 3-4. I'm having a hard time waking up most mornings now actually.

The hardest one for me right now is still the feeling of fear and doom. It's on a somewhat milder level when I'm at home bc there is not a lot of stimuli going on, but trying to get out of the house is a nightmare. I tried having a conversation with my neighbor and within 3-5 minutes I had to find an excuse to run inside. It has led to agoraphobia I suppose. Which I see is also very common here. Before all of this, I was the one you couldn't get out of a conversation with at times haha. I was by no means an extrovert (I'm an introvert in every sense of the word) but I could carry on a conversation with most anyone without feeling too uncomfortable.

Oh and I don't know how many others here have thyroid problems (chances are if they didn't before they do now in some form) I'm slowly realizing that even though I had thyroid issues before this and the goal was to achieve euthyroid levels, it's an advantage to probably adjust those replacement meds so that I can stay a touch on the hypo side. Trying to achieve "euthyroid" and risking hyperthyroid in this mess just compounds the panic state for me.

Hi FG. I've just had a look through your thread. I'm really sorry this happened to you. Your story reminds me of mine a little bit in that mine started with an antibiotic..augmentin. This caused me to feel agitated and suidical and pace round the house. I was extremely nauseous and kept getting dr. A few weeks after the reaction I went to the doctor who gave me ssris and these made everything much worse. I wouldn't read my thread, I don't think it would help you..I was on several psych meds for a few months.

I think antibiotics may have kicked all of this off for you. They definitely did with me. I think you're still on thyroid meds? I wonder if the antibiotics caused some sort of interaction with the meds you're on? I heard that benadryl is a pre cursor to prozac so I'm sure that added a flavour to the mix.

It sounds like you are recovering and getting relief at times. After my antibiotic reaction I was like you..feeling better in the evenings and going in an out of derealisation. Many times I felt normal. My mistake was taking psych med after psych med. If I hadn't done that I would have recovered long ago.

I think you will recover well and soon. You are getting windows and it's been a while since you took any drugs. You weren't on anything for long.

I think you were directed to the akathisia blog. The lady who wrote it made a full recovery from akathisia and has seen many people through it. You will get through it too. I think it's a great sign that you're getting breaks from it and it's also good that you weren't on anything for long. You will find your way back.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Thank you Winning. I've often wondered if it was the Rocephin that started it all too and the benadryl made it worse. I say this bc a) my middle child is allergic to rocephin and had to be given benadryl through IV several yrs ago to counteract it B) some weird things were happening to me pre-benadryl (the blood in nose, dry mouth, dry eyes, somewhat panicky and not myself and the most terrible horrible headache I've ever had and itching/scratching to the point of breaking the skin.

Right now the levaquin and a few others are the only ones with posted risks. They did send someone in at the ER to assess my mental health and to ask if I wanted to go talk to someone. I asked point blank if there was a chance any of these meds or the mixture could cause this, especially benadryl and I was told no, none of these meds should have this effect on anyone. Then I started to believe for a split second I WAS in fact crazy. I did make an appt with a talk therapist and she was just so fixated on diagnosing me with deep rooted problems. My life was exceptionally normal before this. I worked out nearly everyday, volunteered at my kids schools, loved cooking for my family, jumped at the chance to go out shopping on any given day and called my mother at least once a day. I was not home bound or withdrawn in any sense of the word as I am now. I was normal. And now I'm not. The song loops in my head, what on EARTH is THAT about??!! You name the song, and I bet the lyrics ran through my head at some point. I had looping songs and thoughts and even narrated my every move. Ok turn the door knob, ok, open the door, ok walk through the door. Complete insanity. And I hope I do not offend anyone who does in fact have issues that cause these things. It's just that according to me and my past experiences, this was not normal behavior for me personally.

I appreciate you sharing your story and I'm so glad I stopped that effexor after the first dose. It really scared me and I will NOT take another psych drug for as long as I live. When I looked in the mirror and my eyes were as wide as half dollars, I knew I better not try that again. It also upset my stomach very badly and made my loss of appetite so much worse that I gagged at the thought, sight and smell of food for at least a week. I was trying to force food but found myself spitting it back out. My family looked like, just random people. I missed my 40th birthday, I couldn't tell you if it was Monday or Thursday.

I was really hoping to be better by March, it's our 22nd anniversary. We were both sick with flu last March so missed doing something special and we kept saying we would make it up this year. Plus, it will be Spring Break And I don't want my kids out of school for the holiday just to watch their mother in bed suffering.

My husband has his moments of being fed up, I think he just doesn't know what to do and it comes out in the form of anger. He was being very helpful and encouraging yesterday so that helped. I feel so bad, I keep looking to him for answers even asking him when does he think I'll get better.

I'm so sorry you or anyone else has to go through this. If I am bleeding to death I will make my own tourniquet and self treat before I step foot in another medical facility here. Even if I only recover 80% I'll take that over what I have been going through. Just being able to see and feel and love my family and interact with them would be a huge improvement. I'm hoping the a hedonic part of it is just par for the course with dp/dr and that it will pass when the dp/dr fully lifts.

Ignore the sunglasses emoticon in first paragraph, that was supposed to be B). Lol don't know what happened

Oh what the heck lol I'm on my phone. It was supposed to be B) a b with parenthesis

Lol!

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Admittedly, that's pretty much my old normal self showing through right there. I have always been a touch on the air headed side ????????

Also, just curious about various diagnostic tests...are they pretty useless at this point? Under any other circumstance I would not divulge this info to probably even my own husband lol. My bowel movements have changed. I normally wake up and within an hour have an upset stomach. I'm contemplating seeing a gastroenterologist. Also, I have been putting off a scheduled MRI and MRA. I have very good insurance so I know it will be covered but it's the getting up, dressing myself and getting out that has stopped me the most.

Anyone have an opinion on following through with these or suggestions on other testing? Seeing as how brain scans can't monitor neurotransmitters, I don't see the point in that aspect. But I admit I am curious to know if anything else shows up.

I have a very weird type headache today. Kinda feels like my head is full and heavy. I had headaches in the first two weeks of this and never had another. In fact, my fibro and sciatica seemed to vanish into thin air which is probably why these drugs are prescribed off label for those things. I can vouch that they do live up to that.

I hope todays headache is a good sign that I am now beginning to actually feel pain again. I am not having the horrendously crazy cortisol surges so far this morning. It's still there but definitely less.

I recently began having tremors also - the thing that's been helping my tremors have been chamomile tea. - I switched my caffeinated tea out with chamomile tea and that has been very helpful. I looked around the internet to figure out if others had found some relief from tremors, and it appears that many indeed have.

I can understand very much being scared about it never going away as it is a very creepy thing to experience! The whole thought that things will never go away and that you'll always be destroyed...? That is just horror on a very deep level that few people have experienced. 

Edit : - Also sorry, forgot the disclaimer that is very much needed in this place... All herbal supplements, teas, drugs, whatever can cause a destabalized nervous system to go out of whack, so be very careful with trying new things.

Have been on psyc drugs for years, too many to include in this signature.

Currently on 475 mg lyrica, 37.5 mg venlafaxine 50mg seroquel, 2mg melatonin.

1-2.5 litres chamomile, only thing that seems to help with all of this.

Multivitamin and vitamin D prescribed by doctor for not going out in the sun enough. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi fuhget ,    I had chronic diarrhea ( 8 times a day?)    for months due to ssri's/ w.d.      I've read on other threads refernces to "liquid bum" etc , so it's not just you.

I wouldn't bother with a gastro specialist at this point.

Also , just in reference to "labelling" ourselves with more diagnoses:   when we're sick and are too agitated or afraid to go out , that may sound like agoraphobia , but it isn't.       A diagnosis of agoraphobia needs to be independent of other symptoms/treatments , where symptoms can't be attributed to anything else.   The reason people affected badly by ad's don't want to go out is usually related to things like sensitivity to light and stimuli , irrational fears that come with akathisia , needing to pee all the time so afraid to leave home , stuff like that.

A diagnosis depends on the aetiology . . . the history.

No need to tell yourself you have agoraphobia on top of everything else.    It will resolve as you continue to improve.  :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Ok awesome! Well, none of this is awesome I'm just learning a lot.

My not wanting to leave the house is because everything feels and looks weird (the dp/dr) and that's pretty much it. I feel drugged up from it therefore I think I look and possibly drugged up and I just don't want to see people like this. If it weren't for that there's no way I'd sit at home like I do. The dp/dr just makes everything so unenjoyable.

I'm taking my 4th soak in the tub today and I'm finally sweating again. So that's another good sign.

The parent/teacher conference went well. I felt weird but I'm sure the teacher didn't notice. I asked my husband to go with me so that he could (for once LOL) do all of the talking. I ended up doing most of the talking that I don't think I gave him a chance hahaha. He said I seemed totally normal.

Fuhg, what are you withdrawing from?

pug, that is the million dollar question. It seems an antibiotic or possibly steroid injection started this whole mess (Betamethasone, Rocephin or Bactrim) and then I was administered another steroid injection along with the epipen and instructed to go home and take Benadryl. After getting back home from the ER that night, just the first dose of Benadryl seemed to make things worse. I went back to a different ER that was closer to my house and the ER dr just said continue the benadryl.

All I've been able to conclude at this point is the benadryl having the ssri properties disagreed with me ten fold. I stopped sweating, my skin dried up and about 20 other crazy symptoms. Skin burning, parathesia, high cortisol. So the more I comtinued looking for answers I kind of just landed on this site and everything everyone here has experienced matches up.

Wow. No wonder you're confused.

http://drug.addictionblog.org/can-you-get-addicted-to-benadryl/

There's a guy named Nathan if you scroll down, he's the only other person that I can find so far who suffered months long from Benadryl. I want to say though, he CLEARLY abused it for a long while, and I followed the instructions and only took it for 2.5 days.

Oh and I was also given Albuterol that night. Of course I had no idea then, but I do believe all of those things they gave me plus instructing me to take benadryl was overkill on my system.

No doubt. You'll recover soon, Fuhg.

Thank you Pug! I don't see how people are addicted to this stuff as in actually enjoying and craving it. I can understand when the body becomes dependent but that stuff is pure crap in terms of enjoyment level. To each his own but man....I just can't understand. I didn't like the zonked out feeling at all but I took it bc I was under the impression I was having an allergic reaction to another med.

I don't get it either. I was prescribed gabapentin for spinal stenosis lumbar pain. Can't stand this WD drugged feeling.

In my autoimmune circles (thyroid, lupus, sjogrens, and the fibromyalgia those bring) I've heard both good and bad about gabapentin.

I know a great deal more than most of the drs I've seen for my thyroid. To tell you how ridiculous they are in their thinking...in dec 2012, I went to get my labs drawn. I was stuck with a rude, arrogant nurse practitioner for my follow up bc my drs staff is too stupid to stop triple booking patients. Anyway, he walks in, says my labs were "PERFECT!" And I was like are you sure bc my fibro is acting up and my hair is falling out again. He said nope, they couldn't look better. He insisted on sending me out with a bag full of cymbalta even after I was very firm in that I would not be taking anything for fibro. Let me tell you how much restraint it took me not to walk back in there and punch him in the throat! This is why...on my way out, I asked the receptionist for a copy of my labs. I got in the car and scanned over them. My TSH was over five, even the lab flagged it high, wth???? My ft4 was lowish but it was my ft3 that was almost below range. No wonder I was hurting all over and hair falling out. I was so angry that he would patronize me with AD meds instead of treating what was clearly out of wack. You would not believe the frustration I've gone through since my last child was born in 2004 to not just get treated properly for this disease but just get diagnosed at all. My TSH was 73 and one endocrinologist told me lets take a wait and see approach. Wait and see what?! That I'm dead from myxedema coma? Bc that's where I was headed. I had gained over 30 lbs in 3 months time and felt like death. Although let me just tell you that was a walk in the park compared to what I'm going through now. My thyroid never caused psychological problems like this withdrawal has.

Btw, that bag of cymbalta went straight into the trash. I kept saying no and he comes in with this huge grocery bag full of the samples. What a joke our system has become. I mean, at least give me something healthy if you are going to mock me. A bag of apples or boiled peanuts or something useful lol

What a journey you've travelled. I cannot stomach rude incompetence in the medical field, especially. They act like they're working the window at a drive-thru and its our LIVES they are messing with, not burgers and fries!!!

I know, it's sad. We are getting more and more advocacy in the area of thyroid and 100's of us bombed the AACE (American assoc of clinical endocrinology) FB page with our stories. They deleted every one of them. Why have a public fb page inviting conversation from the public and then delete it when it doesn't fit their standard practice of care? Basically the uproar with thyroid disease is a lot of us have to take Armour which contains t3 hormone bc our bodies can't convert the t4 to t3. T3 is the difference between bedridden and functioning. They will not entertain this even though New England Journal Of Medicine found in a recent study that the quality of life was improved with the administration of t3 to patients. An overwhelming finding at that. Synthroid (Abbott labs) has AACE in their pocket, we all know this but not enough upstanding practitioners will stand up to AACE. Their vacations and kickbacks would be lost.

So anyway, sorry about my thyroid lesson, lol. It just infuriates me that there are women out there who can't be the wives and mothers and just person really that they could because they aren't gettig quality care due to greed.

$$$$$$$$ Isn't this what it's all about? Greed. $$$$$$$