abassin Citalopram/Celexa withdrawal -day 3 AHHHHHH

abassin

hi everyone,

I am Amanda and I am tapering off celexa from 15 mg. the regular dose is 20-40 and i have been on only 15 mg since Nov 2014.  I have reduced it for the past 3 days to 12.5 and have already experienced enough to want to send me back to the 15mg.  I keep questioning if i should be off it and why i am weaning but I know now, when i am in the withdrawl is not a good time to question it.

I have had a baby 8 months ago today and went on the drug in Nov. I felt so much better and now thought, gee the winter is over, I want to be drug free, I am working on my body as a whole and in the next year will want to conceive again, lets get off of it....BUT i have to be honest in that I feel like tapering could have been the wrong move. 

I am going to take tonight to make a pro and con and all my thoughts list, stay at the 12.5 mg for 7 days and then decide.

Why did you go off of your anti-depressant...is there anyone who just thought in general it wasnt a healthy thing to be on? I dont know enough, and nor does the rest of the world about long term effects of being on celexa because its so new.

My biggest fear is that i wont be a good mum and also that i am dependant on it to live happily.  I am scared that I am losing my super power or something coming off of it and that I dont have a good enough reason to be off....

Anyway, confused, a bit worried but have a plan. Would love to hear your thoughts as per the pros of getting off it (no advice just your experience is welcome).

Amanda

Amanda  :D

Pondering next med if any....

Celexa 15 mg Nov 2014-March 2015...weaned off 1 mg at a time (was too hard otherwise) and finished June 2015

Took effexor 2004 for 1 year -weaned off after 12 mos

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Amanda , welcome to the site.

It sounds like you're having withdrawal symptoms since you decreased from 15 to 12.5mg.

This site recommends tapering by no more than  10% in order to avoid the type of symptoms you're having.

Try reading the Tapering section , "Why Taper By 10%".

If you went down 10% from 15 , you'd be at 13.5mg.   You may find that updosing to that level will relieve the symptoms

and allow you to stabilize more easily.

Good to have you on board ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Because I am on such a low dose they dont make pills that small- I am already 1/4 a 10 mg pill- so i cnat get down to 1 mg....but i hear you.

Celexa 15 mg Nov 2014-March 2015...weaned off 1 mg at a time (was too hard otherwise) and finished June 2015

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

• Administrator

Welcome, abassin.

Please read Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) Citalopram comes in a liquid form for convenient tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I like your "superpower" analogy.

That's consistent with what the evidence is showing. That these SSRI drugs are substances just like any other such as alcohol, etc, that alter our mental states and may make us function better for awhile. But just like the other substances, can cause harm from overuse. And actually, are more powerful and can cause more harm than many illicit substances out there. As so many tragic stories on here show.  

They used to believe that people with anxiety and depression had a "chemical imbalance" that needed to be corrected. And that these drugs simply "restored the chemical balance". The chemical imbalance theory isn't holding up.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go back on the meds at 15MG and then I will develop a plan to wean off including using liquid formula and going slower. Being a new mom and starting work this month alone with a baby i hastily decided after 4 months on the meds I WANT OFF and i should have considered the withdrawl and that I needed to plan better.  My intention is still to wean off them in the next 6 months to a year but i want to do it more safely and have the right support before i do it.

Thanks xo

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

even going back on this has been horrific. I am struggling with mental obsession and physical side effects at day 2 back on the drug.  i am fearful of getting off it and am really worried about it when i am going to do it in the next 6 mos. i am terrified that this can be the impact of this tiny pill

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

Those who taper, updose, downdose, they say it can take a week or so to stabilize after changing your dose.

Yes, these tiny little pills are very powerful. They can wreak havoc on our nervous systems. 

Here is some important info:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Administrator

What kind of side effects are you getting?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

head ache

bloatedness

swelling of fingers

obsession

sadness

irritation

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

I think at this point it is best not to set any kind of time limit on your taper.  For now, just look after yourself and wait to stabilise.  Be aware that this could take a few weeks rather than a couple of days, so you'll need to be patient.  Once you've stabilised you can replan your taper to go more slowly.  In general the slower you go, the easier it is, although even slow tapers usually have some withdrawal effects, but if you go slowly enough they are likely to be a lot milder.  I hope you feel better quickly.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

head ache

bloatedness

swelling of fingers

obsession

sadness

irritation

When did these start? In the last 2 days?

If so, it could be that 15mg Celexa is too much for you now.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I am on 15 mg of citalopram and from the advice of this forum am going to give it another go to get off of it. I am wanting to be pregnant and dont want to be on meds while i am.  I am sorry I ever went on them as I tried a month or two ago to go from 15 to 12.5 and it was a disaster.

I went to a compound pharmacy and got tablets in 14....13...12.. to 10. and at 10 will decide what to do but day 3 of 14 mg and i am feeling tired, headache, nausea and feel fear of what is to come. I hope it isnt as bad as the first time.

Looking for encouragement to stay the course

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amanda, I moved your new topic to your introduction thread because it is about your taper. It's good that you have the tablets from the compounding pharmacy. How many of each dose did you get? We recommend no more than 10% reduction with 4 weeks between cuts.  Dropping 1mg from 15 is under 10% and should be fine, and would be best to stay at that dose for 4 weeks. It is a good idea to stop at 10mg and assess things, I hope that you are feeling better by then. I tapered effexor and found that the side effects lessened as the dose lowered. When you do get to 10% you may be able to the liquid which is much easier to taper.  :)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 8 months later...

I had gotten off celexa 10 months ago and now am going to have a baby. I am not sure if i want to go back on to anything afterwards or if ill need it but i have had a rocky ride with anxiety.

I am concerned about side effects of meds (weight and sex drive specifically) and wanted peoples experience with 

1. post pardum depression -is it a good treatment

2. weight gain and sex drive problems

3. getting off and on....was it terrible (celexa for me was)

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

Wow abassan thanks for taking the time to update thats an astonishhing taper ....you wont find it rec here.

Correct me if i am wrong but it appears you tapered 1mg  every second day in june lat year.

Congratulations on having a baby.

Here's my opinion and you can take it or leave it. Never take or even ponder taking another psychotropic drug again.

You might find the 4th time your luck has run out....and you might find 'terrible ' is taken to a whole new galaxy.

Well done on being drug free.

nz11.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• ChessieCat changed the title to abassin Citalopram/Celexa withdrawal -day 3 AHHHHHH