kendall7858: Withdrawal Hell

kendall7858

Hi Altostrata and all at surviving antidepressants:

I am new to the forum but was recommended that I post here as I might gain some insight as to how to address the severe mishandling I have received at the hands of psychiatry. I have been to other boards and they say this is one of the best to address complex medication and withdrawal issues.I am currently suffering intractable burning muscle pain after having been in the hospital where they poly drugged me again.  I have tried changes in diet, epsom salt baths and excercise to no avail.   I would apprciate any insight as to what might be causing the situation.

Let me tell you a little of my story.  I have an 18 year history of being polydrugged by psychiatrists and I have been getting worse and worse.  I am in intractable pain from something they did to me in the psych hospital a month ago.I have had terrible insomnia and now do not sleep at all.  I have been on paxil, remeron, desipramine, doxepin, prozac, seroquel, zyprexa, klonopin, lorazepam, and temazepam as well as a few others.

My recent history is 4 psych admissions in the past two years.  I withdrew myself from desipramine, prozac, remeron, temazepam, at one point about three years ago without much problem. I stayed on seroquel for a lot of the time and was pretty stable on it for awhile.  Most recently, I have been really struggling.  I came off klonopin eight month ago and off temazepam shortly thereafter.  I was on seroquel and doxepin.  About 6 months ago a psychiatrist changed me to zyprexa while still on doxepin. Then my outpatient psych nurse changed me back to seroquel.  I was going around the clock 24/7 without sleep and I just got admitted to the hospital again.  This time I went from the frying pan into the fire.  I went in with 24/7 no sleep and came out with no sleep plus SEVERE intractable burning in my leg and back muscles.

What ever they did to me this time really is killing me.  They put me on latuda, lithium, klonopin, propanalol, and left seroquel.  I have this intractable pain from something they did. They also dropped 200 mg doxepin without a taper at all this time.  I quit the lithium and the latuda as soon as I got out of the hospital and now am on 100 mg seroquel, 1 mg klonopin, and 60 mg propanalol. I am terrified.  I am thinking that reinstating klonopin is causing the problems with pain.  I have been told that it is tolerance withdrawal.  I don't know because so many things have been changed but I am a mess. I have proceeded to withdraw from the klonopin 10% for two weeks, 5% for two weeks and another 5% cut starting the last two nights.  I haven't slept right for over a year and have been pretty much going 24/7 without sleep for 6 months now.  It is horrendous.  I am also wondering if the sleep problem could be causing the severe muscle pain but I am not sure.

I am in deep trouble and could end my life if it gets worse.  I went to the psych nurse the other day and she wanted to add doxepin back plus she offered gabapentin, but I am so damaged that I am afraid of the drugs and don't want to touch anything or add any complicating factors.  I don't think anyone can help me with this an I am suffering more than I ever have suffered in my life. It was stupid to reinstate the klonopin after 6 months but I was desperate for sleep and thought that it might help.  WRONG.  It was a bad decision.  I don't know if you folks or anyone can offer any insight as to what might have happened.  There are so may variables and I have been abused by the system.  Please, I desperately need help and wonder if I can ever get through this.  I know that there is a risk via the Beyond Meds website of severe iatrogenic illness from starting and stopping psych meds.

I have had too many people involved in my prescribing and I don't know how much more of this I can take.  I blame myself, but I have just been looking to the wrong people for help.  I am in serious trouble.  I need to sort this out. What makes it so hard is that it is difficult to turn the clock back and I don't even know what has cause this most acute symptom.  I feel like I can't trust anyone even myself.  It is such a mess because I have submitted to cold turkey of antipsychotics and doxepine recently and I have recently restarted klonpin which was bad mistake.  I know this is very complicated.  Thank you for your help and I hope that someone might have some suggestions.  I know that burning muscle pain can be a complication of protracted benzo tolerance/withdrawal.  Many others have it and are hoping for relief. 

Ken

Extensive history of multiple psychiatric cocktails

400mg Seroquel XR, 200 mg doxepin, 30 mg Temazepam, 1 mg klonopin

tapered klonopin and temazepam 6 months ago

switched from seroquel to 15 mg zyprexa while cotinuing doxepin

switched back to seroquel with doxepin

dropped doxepin cold turkey while inpatient

placed on 1350 lithium, 80 mg Latuda, 60 mg propanalol, 1mg klonopin, 100 mg seroquel inpatient again

dropped lithium and latuda

tapering klonopin for a month

very sick and in horrendous pain, hard to know what to do, many opinions not much success,  horrendous insomnia.

• Administrator

Welcome, Ken.

I am sorry you've had to go through this.

It is possible the body pain you suffer is from going on and off drugs, not from any drug you're taking now. The nervous system isn't made of rubber, and it can get overstressed.

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs? Keep notes on paper to track this over several days.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto:

These are the drugs that I currently take and these are the interactions.  Like I said my system has been through a lot in the last 6 months with several doctors involved and they have not always communicated with each other.  It is hard to know what is going on but my severe symptoms started with the last hospitalization.  They have become worse over time (the last month) and they get worse throughout the day.  I take all my medications at night.  100 mg seroquel, 1 mg klonopin (reducing), and 60 mg propanalol.  Another factor is that while in the hospital the last time they immediately stopped 200 mg of the tricyclic antidepressant doxepin that I had been taking for two years. I also recently reinstated klonopin after going off it 8 months ago.  It is so hard to tell what is causing what given the complexity of what has been occuring.  I stopped zyprexa 15 mg about three months ago and was changed back to seroquel.  In the past I had taken seroquel 400 mg which used to work to help me sleep but now does nothing.  I know that it is common for sedating medications to lose their effect over time and that is the main reason I am in the trouble that I am in now. 

Propranolol and clonazePAM may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

QUEtiapine and propranolol may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Using clonazePAM together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Food can enhance the levels of propranolol in your body. You shoud take propranolol at the same time each day, preferably with or immediately following meals. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. Avoid drinking alcohol, which could increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking propranolol. Propranolol is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.

My main symptom is the intractable pain and insomnia.  It is a deep burning in the muscles of my legs and back and gets worse toward the night.  After I take klonopin it gets a little less and I am somewhat more comfortable in the morning.  Please any insight would be most appreciated.  I know that a lot of people go through a terrible time with being on medications reaching tolerance or having withdrawal and being put on more medications to mask the side effects of the meds or tolerance/withdrawal.  It is so maddening that doctors absolutely don't know how to do a proper taper off medications.  I guess the question I ask myself is "what do I do now?" I am very hesitant to do anything for risk of making things even worse than they are.  I have started to eat a green smoothie diet and it has helped a little tiny bit but the burning is there all the time.  Like I said more in the afternoon and evening.  Thank you for your kindness and I would sincerely appreciate any insight.  I was referred here from a person I met on another medication support group online.  She said you were very good and had helped her when she withdrew of off several SSRI's along with benzodiazepines. God bless all of you and I hope to make it through.  I just want to stabilize without having to go to a doctor or back in the hospital. 

Ken

placed on 1350 lithium, 80 mg Latuda, 60 mg propanalol, 1mg klonopin, 100 mg seroquel inpatient again

very sick and in horrendous pain, hard to know what to do, many opinions not much success,  horrendous insomnia.

Oh I'm soo sorry for what you've been through..it's awful.

But I'm so glad you've found this place. I hope you find relief soon.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

Ken, it would help if you Please put your withdrawal history in your signature -- just the last few years would be enough.

At night, you're taking "100 mg seroquel, 1 mg klonopin (reducing), and 60 mg propanalol."

Were your doctors trying to clobber insomnia?

Taking too many "brakes" (as all your drugs are) can cause a paradoxical reaction -- instead of slowing down, the body revs up. That may be happening to you.

If I were you, I would hold the klonopin -- plan to come off that last -- and look at whether you can reduce Seroquel or propanalol. My guess is the propanalol can go first. See Tapering Beta Blockers or Alpha Blockers

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Wow Ken i am so sorry you are in this difficult  situation.

Welcome. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Alto:

I am having difficulty finding the arrow next to my name in the right corner of the page so I can edit my history.  I am having trouble finding it. Thanks.

Ken

• Administrator

Look to the right of your name, there's a tiny downward arrow.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Ken.  You really have been through the wringer.

I've heard a lot of complaints in here with propanolol, and it's criminal that they didn't look at that when prescribing all those neuroleptics (we tend to not call them "atypical antipsychotics" - that's just their "marketing" term!)

Do you have high blood pressure?  Do you monitor it?  May I ask how old you are?

Alto's advice to start there is good.  

I just want to chime in my support - and welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi:

I don't have high blood pressure.   I have just been polydrugged by too many people for too long.  I would consider the propanalol as a taper but I don't know what to do about the horrible symptoms of burning neuropathic pain.  And yes, I have mostly been drugged to clobber insomnia. Now I don't sleep at all even on heavy sedation.  I am in Hell. I am nonfunctional.  I can't eat.  I am practically bedridden. The pain is horrific. I am sure something bad has happened to me.  Night after nigth of insomnia can't be helping much either.  I feel like I am dying.

Ken

• Moderator Emeritus

I can relate to the insomnia, I have chronic insomnia and it can be totally debilitating, 2.5 hours of sleep is heaven to me! I don't have the answer to that unfortunately, it has always been a problem for me but is worse when withdrawal hits.  I would listen to Alto and hold the klonopin as that can help with symptoms when tapering the other drugs. She has extensive knowledge of these drugs and will help you to get free in the safest way possible. 

I looked at the side effects list for propranolol and it is extensive, you will likely feel better when that one is out of the way. Often people feel better as the dose gets lower with many meds, I found that myself when I tapered a beta blocker.   

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/propranolol-side-effects.html

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Ken, the pain is probably from nervous system dysregulation caused by the drugs. Changing the drug balance could affect this.

As you can see from your drug interactions, propanolol is in there complicating things. Given you're also taking Seroquel and Klonopin, my guess is propanolol isn't doing anything helpful. (However, you need to taper it to prevent blood pressure rebound.)

Acupuncture may help the pain. I had tingling pain in my arms and back that was stopped by acupuncture. See

Acupuncture

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Hi Alto:

I just read that propanalol can cause toxic polyneuropathy which has symptoms of pain burning and muscle aches I don't know if I am grasping at staws but I found it mentioned on the internet.  It was one of the drugs used in my last hospitalization. Thank you.

Ken

• Administrator

See the link above about tapering propanolol. Please go slowly.

Hi Alto:

What is nervous system dysregulation and what are my chances of recovery?  I guess only time will tell.  Thank you.

Ken

As someone who has suffered severe insomnia also resulting in pysch hospital admissions I believe that the lack of sleep causes muscle pain.  I was sleeping for maybe 3 hours a night and then eventually dropped into zero sleep for days.  I suffered terrible muscle pain, I couldn't walk for 10 minutes without being in pain and sweating.  I had back pain, leg pains, chest pain, neck and shoulder pains.  

The brain sends healing chemicals through the body when you sleep so this must not now be happening.  I have no science to back this up but it seems obvious if you don't sleep you're not properly relaxing your body so agonising muscle pain happens.

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

• Administrator

It's been shown that lack of sleep makes people more sensitive to pain. Sleep is healing.

Ken, please see What is withdrawal syndrome?

Hi Altostrata and All:

I know I have a complicated history and I am not sleeping much at all but the pain is intense.  I am very weak and lethargic. No energy.  I need to come off the medication slowly I know but I have a lot of frightening feelings that my brain is permanently damaged from all the psych meds and the changes.  I know that is a somewhat negative perspective because I know that many people do heal but it is just that it takes so long and I get impatient to the point where I end up in the doctor's office or the ER and the cycle begins all over again.  I have to stay away from the psychiatrists but it is hard to be patient.  Thank you for your input.  I need to sleep but can't.  I don't really know what to do at this point.  I am on klonopin and seroquel but they don't put me to sleep and haven't for a long time.  I am beginning to think that the medications are actually interfering with sleep at this point.  Very hard to know what to do.  Maybe I should just do nothing but this quality of life is not acceptable.

Ken

• Administrator

When do you take your drugs and what is your symptom pattern relative to when you take them?

Hi Altostrata:

There is no real pattern anymore.  I take all my medications at night and am able to relax a bit although I don't really sleep much.  I am in a semi conscious state for a few hours.  I have severe burning pain throughout the day and it is getting worse.  I can barely walk.  I don't know what has caused this but I merely get blown off my doctors as a psych patient who will not comply with medication (I was on 5).  I am running out of options and I don't want to go back into a psych hospital because I really feel I will die if I go back there.  I am running out of options.  I really have no idea what has caused this but this last hospitalization was truly an example of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.  I appreciate your position and you are trying to help. However, no real trends toward when I take my medications anymore.  It is just getting worse and worse each day.  I have really made a mess of my life.  I am trying to eat but I have no appetite, can't bath or take care of myself.  It truly is a crime.

Ken

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Ken, I'm sorry things are so difficult for you right now.

I don't think your current state is permanent.  I do believe you can get better, but it will take time, and careful work.  I'm still struggling with understanding your signature.  Are you off klonopin?  Just one month to taper off klonopin is very fast, especially considering your other drug changes at the time.

Yes, I think tapering the propanolol will lighten your load a lot, but please see the link about it that MammaP gave you.  She has experience in beta blockers, and there will be others on the thread who found they needed to taper it as well.  

Have you taken any Magnesium ?  It is excellent for pain control.  In your case, I especially recommend the magnesium bath, with epsom salts (up to 5 cups a bath!) or magnesium chloride (stronger, but harder to find).  Even a foot soak will help you asborb magnesium, and it is calming, muscle relaxing, and should help, even if just a little.  I have also heard good things about tart cherry for easing pain symptoms.  LIkely, nothing will eliminate the pain until you start lowering your drug load, but perhaps these can ease things off a little bit.

I have similar symptoms to you - for different reasons.  I move at a slow, snail's pace.  A crawl.  A small amount of activity and the pain might flare up for days.  However, I do sleep, even if it is not at night.  Insomnia can be scary, chronic insomnia can do all kinds of weird things to your nervous system.  You are probably so overloaded that your brain has forgotten what "normal" is, especially when it comes to sleep.

There's a whole rack of ideas around "sleep hygiene," - when to have light, when to have dark, when to have protein, when to have carbs, and a routine to follow to help you sleep in your bed.  Lots of people here wear blindfolds or have blackout curtains.  Some people won't even look at a computer screen or light or even a TV after 8 pm.  You will have to find what works for you.  It helps me to try and get some sunlight, or natural light (on cloudy days) every day, as early as I can.  Some people use a light box for the same effect.

Please let us know where you are in your journey, what you are doing, and how it's going.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!