ahimsa : Emergency decision

ahimsa

Hi, My nane is tan. I'm a medical student from thailand. I had a history of cymbalta withdrawal.It was awful but I got through that already. I use prozac(main bridge) and ritalin to bridge cymbalta and it went pretty well. After I stopped cymbalta. I continually take ritalin(gradually increase from 5 mg -> 10 mg -> 20 mg -> 30 mg(now) ) and prozac 20 mg and it was wonderful but I had vivid dream. My doctor want to try using only ritalin to cope my symptoms(adhd, depression, anxiety) because I used to try antidepressant alone and it didn't work. So he tapered my prozac off to see that ritalin alone can cope my symptom or not. I stopped prozac 20 mg at 7 may 2015 and today is 27 may 2015. I have had loss of concentration(can not learn anything), anxiety, depression, nausea, muscle weakness, feeling my brain is not function properly compare when I had prozac, mood swing and difficult to cope with emotion(significantly noticible) for about a week(and it getting worse)

the question is I'm going to have final exam at 5 june and I have a lot to read but my body won't let me!

I don't know what to do.I can't contact my doctor. Is this a discontinual symptom or It's a relapse ? should I wait more and hope it to be better ? I have already bought Zoloft 50 mg because I have heard it has less side effect. Is it okay to take zoloft ? How do I know that the symptoms will get better or not ?

what's the best way to choose 1. take prozac now and my 20 days of tapering is useless 2.take zoloft hope for less side effect but same efficiency 3.wait and hope it will get better soon!

p.s. sorry for my bad english and repeating sentence due to my over anxiety

Thank you for reading :))

withdrawal history

-try strattera and failed within first pill

-had been 20 mg lexapro for 9 month and no problem with lexapro(orgasm side effect) withdrawal after that I went to US carlifonia for a vacation and The depression really killed my vacation.

-awful cymbalta withdrawal experience

now on ritalin 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ahimsa and welcome to SA,

the best way we know off of stopping withdrawal symptoms (worsening of symptoms after abrupt discontinuation can hardly be a relapse) is to reinstate a certain amount of the drug you were taking.

Given that you have been completely off the drug I wouldn't reinstate more than 10 mg. Maybe you could even try at 5 mg and gradually updose if needed.

It will take 4 days for the change to register with your brain so be patient.

I'm typing from my phone so can't copy any links for you but I highly recommend browsing through our tapering section.

Be gentle to yourself. Even if it comes to failing the exam it's still worth dealing with these drugs in the right way. Any attempts of quick fixes just make things work.

There are really no "safe" antidepressants. We see people suffering from all of them but it's Prozac that's generally considered the least evil due to its long half life and not Zolft.

Let us know what you decide and how you're doing.

I'm glad you have found us.

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ahimsa,welcome to SA. Petunia has said what I would say, that reinstating a low dose of prozac would be the best way to stop the withdrawal symptoms.  Doctors do not understand withdrawal syndrome and have people taper much too fast. You could do as Petunia suggested and reinstate a small dose of prozac, then wait for 2 or 3 months to get stable then start to taper slowly. You may find that a low dose has less side effects but may be enough to help withdrawal. 

Here is the topic for reinstating to stabilise. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

About tapering prozac.. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, ahimsa.

If I were you, I'd take 5mg Prozac immediately and do as bubble and mammaP described.

This topic describes how to titrate Prozac http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Also, you should be aware that with your long history of taking Ritalin and increasing dosage, you are physiologically dependent on Ritalin. You may also be psychologically dependent on it. To go off, you will need to carefully taper.

It sounds to me like your doctor is not treating you for depression, but maintaining your drug dependencies. In the US, this would not be considered to be ethical.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you for all of your answers ! I'm currently having 4 pills of 20 mg prozac left and full box of zoloft. Are 4 pills of prozac enough to maintain the symptoms ? If I continue cold turkey, how long would it take to become stabilized ?

thank you :))

withdrawal history

-had been 20 mg lexapro for 9 month and no problem with lexapro(orgasm side effect) withdrawal after that I went to US carlifonia for a vacation and The depression really killed my vacation.

now on ritalin 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to take 5mg, then the 4 pills will last 16 days, then your symptoms will come back. It would be best if you could get a new prescription and take the time to stabilize back on the prozac and then begin a proper taper off it. Please read through the links that have been posted for you.

If you continue with the cold turkey, it could take anywhere from several weeks, to months and possibly even years before you are fully recovered, its impossible to say how long it will last. Protracted withdrawal can last a long time for some people and the fact that you are getting worse, is not a good sign.

Can you get another prescription for prozac?

Read this to help you understand more about withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

I'm sorry this has happened at such a difficult time. It sounds like your doctor doesn't know what they are doing and is putting your health and future at risk. These kinds of drugs need to be tapered slowly if you want to stop taking them.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petunia

I just talked to my doctor and he suggested me to take zoloft because I already bought it. wish me luck !

withdrawal history

now on ritalin 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you feel better soon and that your exams go well. Do stay in touch and let us know how you are. When you are ready to come off your medication, we will be able to help you with safe tapering so you don't have to go through this again.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes