Why Your Toddler is Being Targeted For Anti-Psychotic Drugs

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

"And perhaps most disturbing is the fact that infants and toddlers are the most heavily prescribed age group for anti-psychotics.

A report published in 2013 by IMS Data showed that over 274,000 infants ages 0 to 1 year old and nearly 370,000 toddlers 1 to 3 years of age are on Xanax and/or Prozac; while more than 1,400 infants were taking pharmaceuticals for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

As far as childhood bipolar disorder, the number of infants treated for this mental illness has risen 40 times over the decade; as well as the number of prescriptions for Risperdal."

https://www.occupycorporatism.com/home/why-your-toddler-is-being-targeted-for-anti-psychotic-drugs/

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

How tragic! I cannot imagine a baby or small child going through the horrendous side effects of APs...not to mention what the drugs are doing to their developing brains. The saddest part, though, is these children don't have the language skills to communicate the distress the drugs are probably causing.

This upsets me so much I just want to scream. It seems the general public doesn't know, doesn't care (oh, but it's for mental illness) or both. Despicable!

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

11/04-05/07 CT Abilify Non symptomatic

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

10/12 hospitalized, Invega Depot, 2 shots discontinued, severe insomnia

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Every time I think it can't get worse... it does.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

You know, I can understand why one might want to give a toddler an AP, but doing it is unimaginable. Skyler is right. I can understand dysfunctional parents to a degree. But doctors????

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

But doctors????

I think half of the psychotropics prescribed are just because the docs want to shut troublesome patients up.  And parents complain about noisy babies. 

this is brilliant.  i dont know the level of awareness along each link of the chain (pharma rep, doctor, teacher, parent, etc), but frying the brains of kids before they are even old enough to express themselves with regard to their mental health and side effects is a devious and highly profitable scheme.  the sooner you diagnose and medicate a psychiatric illness, the greater the likelihood of lifelong treatment and drug dependence.  when the kids try to come off the meds as they are reaching adulthood and wanting to see if theres a more natural way to live, a lot of them will be hit with the withdrawal syndrome and be hospitalized/rediagnosed/remedicated in a more serious and permanent way (and having the childhood diagnosis and treatment will justify anything the doctors want to throw at them).  this is some scifi ****.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

Ugh. Random web find. Must be a whole universe I never thought about.

http://www.circleofmoms.com/autismaspergerspdd-awareness/just-starting-abilify-and-clonidine-353332

From anAbilify/Clonidine thread.

"I have not seen much improvement in my other sons stuttering. He is on Focalin for ADHD and it has caused the stutter. He has been on it for a month. It does make him really tired.

Even though your son vomited after taking the abilify, I wouldnt change when you give it to him. His belly will need time to adjust to it. He is on a very small dose. The abilify pills are so small, you may have better luck with those."

P.S. I didn't know what Clonipine was, searched this site. A few people have used it for AD WD. Is has side effects and requires its own taper, though. Great! RxIsk mentions it on page 10 of the Guide to Stopping Antidepressants. Tangled web.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy