Raspberry: Nightmare after 'treatment' and too abrupt withdrawal of sertraline and mirtazapine

Raspberry

In early December 2014 I was prescribed sertraline (50 mg) and mirtazapine (around 20 mg) to combat depression. I had many side effects, including muscle tension and pressure in the head that were downplayed by my doctor as possible symptoms of anxiety. Hoping that these were just start-up side effects I decided to keep taking the medications for at least two months to see the full benefit. The medications helped my mood, but the physical symptoms (inexplicable muscle tension and, in parallel, muscle weakness and pulling, a sensation as if someone was trying to push me down at the neck, pelvis and knees, weird sensations in the head, shivering, dizziness, burning sensation - up to a point where I started having trouble walking and maintaining normal body positions) got even worse. When I asked my doctor about possible serotonin toxicity (I am very sensitive to medications), she dismissed my question. I struggled for a third month – my muscles turned into a real mess (tightness, weakness, trouble walking and sitting in a normal position, vibration along my spine) - and then stopped (too abruptly).

Now I have to deal with the nightmarish consequences of the 'treatment' and withdrawal, including:
constant (non-stop 24/7) internal vibration in the entire body combined with high-frequency muscle contractions in the entire body (not so much sustained cramps or spasms but firing of nervous impulses affecting my muscles in the entire body) – my muscles seem to be constantly shortened by the high-frequency impulses making it very difficult to stand, move or even sit up without resting my elbow somewhere (While lying down I'm a vibrating and contracting mess...). It's constant and relentless making me home-bound and hardly able to take care of my needs. When I ingest something calming – say a cup of chamomile tea or a tiny dose of a tranquillizer, it makes my body a wobbly vibrating mass that I struggle to keep in an upright position, my torso and limbs feeling more relaxed but very heavy. The dysbalance of my body is really debilitating.

I had my blood tested, an MRI scan and neurological consultation – I have no underlying pathologies.

I wonder if there is anyone here or anyone here knows anyone who has experienced such symptoms or could come up with some ideas how to help my possibly overstimulated and oversensitized body. Are there any threads on this forum that might be of help in my situation? I find it hard to believe that my issues are unique, but I have found almost zero information by googling.

In good physical form prior to starting the 'treatment' for work-related depression

Sertraline 50 mg + mirtazapine around 20 mg for three months since early December 2014 to early March 2015, severe side effects (possible serotonin toxicity)

Abrupt withdrawal in early March 2015, leading to muscle excitability (non-stop vibration, internal tremor-like sensation, contractions (invisible), tightness, etc), walking difficulties and body dysbalance. Fatigue, especially muscle fatigue.

Reinstated for ten days at low doses in May but stopped again.

0.25 mg or less of Xanax in emergency situations

Still take a tiny dose (less than a quarter of a 15 mg tablet) of mirtazapine to sleep but I'm trying to get rid of it.

Chamomile tea and magnesium citrate (though I'm yet to find out whether they are of help)

Welcome -

Sounds like an adverse reaction to those medications. 

I'm not sure if it was due to the Zoloft or the Mirtazapine.

There are reports on here of people having similar bad reactions to antidepressants after using them for a short time, and they continue to have the symptoms for quite a while after stopping the medication.

It seems you are still suffering from the adverse reaction to the medications, unclear whether your symptoms are due to withdrawal from them - although there is probably an element of that too.

Did your symptoms worsen after stopping the drugs; how long ago did you stop the drugs -

A moderator with more knowledge will be along to help you move forward and help you decide how to proceed from here.

Remember that you should largely heal from what these drugs have done to you, it often takes quite some time. 

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Raspberry, welcome to SA. I am so sorry that you were treated so bady by someone who should have been caring for you. That doctor obviously didn't have a clue as you were having some major reactions to the drugs. They shouldn't have been prescribed together but often are and when patients complain they are given even more drugs. This is the report from the interactions checker at drugs.com.

Interactions between your selected drugs
interaction-3-big.png sertraline ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), mirtazapine

Using sertraline together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweatinglb_icon1.png, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mentioned a tranquiliser, can you tell us about that? It is important to include all drugs or supplements in your signature, even those taken only occasionally as they can affect withdrawal.  How long is it since you quit the drugs?  Clearday is right, this will get better but will take time for your body to heal. Your symptoms sound very much like our Wiggleit who also suffers terribly but is improving slowly. You can read Wiggleits story here...http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7485-wiggleit-tardive-dyskinesia-from-tcas-and-benzo-rapid-tapers/?hl=wiggleit

You need to take care of yourself and allow your body to recover, eat good fresh food if it is at all possible, sleep and very gentle exercise to move your body, just getting up and moving every hour or so for a few minutes if that is all you can do. And sleep if you can.  Many people find  fish oil and magnesium helpful in withdrawal. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

When we have the answer to those 2 questions we may be able to offer more advice .

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you so much for your response and questions.

My symptoms did become worse after stopping the two medications, so I guess it is a combination of adverse reactions and withdrawal here. I initially stopped in early March (i.e. three months ago), but I reinstated the medications at a low dose in May for ten days to see if this was of any help. Unfortunately it was not and I decided to come off of them for good.

I take a low dose (0.25 or even less) of Xanax if things become really intolerable, otherwise I try to make do with chamomile tea and magnesium citrate drinks (started yesterday).

Any suggestions by anyone who reads this thread are more than welcome.

In good physical form prior to starting the 'treatment' for work-related depression

Sertraline 50 mg + mirtazapine around 20 mg for three months since early December 2014 to early March 2015, severe side effects (possible serotonin toxicity)

Abrupt withdrawal in early March 2015, leading to muscle excitability (non-stop vibration, internal tremor-like sensation, contractions (invisible), tightness, etc), walking difficulties and body dysbalance. Fatigue, especially muscle fatigue.

Still take a tiny dose (less than a quarter of a 15 mg tablet) of mirtazapine to sleep but I'm trying to get rid of it.

Chamomile tea and magnesium citrate (though I'm yet to find out whether they are of help)

I do suffer with the vibration and muscle excitability that you describe.  I t involves my entire body but my calves see the worst of it.  It is like the muscles stay tight all the time and it is very uncomfortable.  Also all my muscles twitch endlessly throughout the day.  I am constantly rubbing myself to try to loosen them up to no avail.  The doctor's idea of help is to give me baclofen which is CNS acting so I never took it.  Too scared of making matters worse.  Sorry you are suffering this as well.  Truly horrible.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Thank you, Frustrated, for your response. In my case, it is my neck, upper back and upper arms that are affected the most, but the truth is that all my muscles feel vibrating, tight and wobbly and heavy at the same time.

• Moderator Emeritus

How often do you take the xanax Raspberry, and how long have you been taking them? Sometimes it is better to take a regular dose of benzos rather than occasional because they can cause interdose withdrawal. You take some to ease the symptoms, which helps. Then symptoms return and they are made worse because of withdrawal from xanax! I will ask one of the mods who are expert on benzos to have a look for you. If we can get you stable it will ease things a little for you. Do you think the tiny dose of mirtazapine is helping any? We recommend tiny doses when reinstating and they can help for some people, even just 1mg can help sometimes. If it is helping then holding at that dose for a few months to stabilise would be the best thing to do rather than trying to taper when your nervous system is so unstable. It will take time to get stable again but you will get there.  I really feel for you, we all do. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Raspberry.

Yes, it sounds like you have a combination of withdrawal syndrome and the aftereffects of adverse reactions.

Believe it or not, fish oil and magnesium supplements often reduce some of these symptoms, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Also see What is withdrawal syndrome? and other topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you!

My history of taking Xanax is really short, I have taken about  four doses (once per two weeks or so). I'm sceptical about relying on any benzos, especially as their benefit has been quite limited in my case - i.e. they do help relax my muscles, but do not seem to have much effect on the vibration going on in my body leading to weakness. How often is it safe to take a low dose to avoid withdrawal?  Can a single dose lead to withdrawal? Can you suggest a safe pattern?

I'm likewise sceptical about the tiny dose of mirtazapine I still take to help my sleep, meaning that it does help me get a decent amount of sleep, but I'm not sure about its stabilizing effect in general. I would really like to try something else for sleep (a natural remedy) but I'm not sure what to try given my current overall hypersensitivity. Do you have any ideas?

Hi Raspberry,

There are so many natural supplements for sleep. It is hard to know what would work for you. Ad's can make you sensitive to supplements, you have to be careful what you take. I have been drinking rooibos tea, after reading it helps with nervous tension and insomnia.

I hope you find something that will help you sleep better.

Meditation helps.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Raspberry,

I'm confused whether you are still taking mirtazapine or not...

I reinstated the medications at a low dose in May for ten days to see if this was of any help. Unfortunately it was not and I decided to come off of them for good.

I'm likewise sceptical about the tiny dose of mirtazapine I still take to help my sleep, meaning that it does help me get a decent amount of sleep...

How much mirtazapine are you taking now? If you are still taking some mirtazapine its important to take the same amount at the same time every day in order to keep your nervous system stable. Once you are stable again, then you can start a slow, safe taper off that amount, which we will be able to help you with.

My history of taking Xanax is really short, I have taken about  four doses (once per two weeks or so)...... How often is it safe to take a low dose to avoid withdrawal?  Can a single dose lead to withdrawal? Can you suggest a safe pattern?

The way you have been taking xanax is unlikely to lead to dependence. In a stable nervous system taking it 2 - 3 times a week is generally considered to be safe, which means you are unlikely to become physically dependent on it. But once your nervous system becomes sensitive, taking it at all can cause paradoxical effects. It could increase anxiety, rather than reduce it. The other thing which can happen is you experience a kind of rebound anxiety as the drug is leaving your system and if you are already in a sensitized state, this can make you feel much worse.

If you are in withdrawal, or have an unstable nervous system, its better not to take any xanax at all, or only in an emergency. Its better if you can avoid the irregular use of any psychoactive substances as you recover, this includes alcohol and caffeine.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks, Petunia!

I take about 3 mg of mirtazapine before going to bed.

Yes, benzos are tricky, especially in my condition, so I generally try to stay away from them. In fact, I try to stay away from anything stimulating, but as I have read, many 'safe' things can have paradoxical effects...

Also, I wonder if anyone would recommend GABA as a supplement or would it be too risky for me to try?

• Administrator

Please go to the Symptoms and Self-Care forum and use search to see our discussions about GABA.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, I try to research the topics as much as can on my own.

Ironically, I sometimes think that if I only felt good, I would do a really-really thorough research, only to realize that if I felt good, I would probably rather engage in my numerous hobbies that I can only dream of at the moment. The truth is that I often run out of ideas about what to research since my condition seems to be so mysterious - I wish I knew a single keyword that would lead me closer to the truth or a single button that I could try to push to get some relief. As my mind is clear most of the time (no brain fog, confusion, etc, just the frustrating and crippling physical sensations), I feel like trapped in my body I would like to help, but I'm clueless how.

• Administrator

You might want to spend some time in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum -- we've got a topic from just about anything related to withdrawal syndrome. Your symptoms are not mysterious to us!

Doctors prescribe SSRIs/SNRIs together with mirtazapine all the time even though the drug leaflet cautions against it. They even have a name for the combo Effexor-Mirtazapine: California Rocket Fuel. I **** you not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_rocket_fuel

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

My doctor prescribed me in my first appointment that combination immediately. Why not introduce just one of the AD's and wait to see? Probably I would have got better just with one of the drugs and I might not have PSSD today.

The only justification to do it is a completely ignorant oppinion on the safety of the drugs.

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

Doctors prescribe SSRIs/SNRIs together with mirtazapine all the time even though the drug leaflet cautions against it. They even have a name for the combo Effexor-Mirtazapine: California Rocket Fuel. I **** you not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_rocket_fuel

Wow thanks for the link -

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi Raspberry! Your story sounds a little like mine.  I tried 4 different antidepressants within a 2 month period and they just made me really bad.  I went on them because I had a few panic attacks.  I ended up in the hospital out of my mind and the psych there told me to come off cold turkey.  So, here I am almost 10 weeks off this stuff and not anywhere near normal. I have had a couple windows, usually in the evening when the sun goes down.  I have extreme anxiety/fear and the internal vibration you talk about.  You will probably go through an extreme rage/anger part, but that is normal. It will calm down.  My nervous system is so out of whack I can't drive or go shopping or be alone.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Yes, by now I have learned that doctors regard mirtazapine as a fairly safe add-on medication or a sleeping aid. In my case it was prescribed as a sleeping aid since my sleep was choppy and sertraline seemed to make it even choppier. At one point when I complained about my issues, my doctor even wanted to prescribe buproprion as another add-on medication and insisted that the other two drugs could not possibly have had a toxic effect since the doses were 'so low'.

Yes, KT38, I have been quite hard on myself (I tend to blame myself rather than doctors) and disillusioned about getting any individualized treatment and care.

• Administrator

If I were you, I would stay on the 3mg mirtazapine until the other symptoms resolve, since it helps you sleep.

Acupuncture might help you, please see our discussions in Symptoms and Self-Care.