Alua: Aussie pristiq will I ever be free

Alua

Three weeks since last drop which has been my smallest thus far. No new symptoms. Insomnia has been a bit ugly the last week and I am therefore feeling tired during the day which is compounded by 40 plus degree heat. Im also having memory problems and jumbled thinking but had it worse on a higher dose. Intrusive and ruminating thoughts come and go, have been less the last week. Muscle twitches have been a little more noticeable and have had a little bit of a tight jaw. Lucky to have a lot of wonderful friends and family on board with this journey, although they could not possibly understand how horrendous it is. Two kids under 6 and a husband who works away half the year add to the challenge. It seems all my symptoms are very common during withdrawal which provides reassurance that I am not losing my mind.

<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg 4 weeks. Jumped at 8mg currently 16 months free

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alua

• Fresh

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

No, you are definitely not losing your mind, in fact you are getting your mind back :).  It's busy in there, healing away, re-finding how it is meant to be. 

Good on you for recognising all these symptoms for what they are - withdrawal.  You are already starting to get past them, and that will continue.  Just keep being gentle in your drops and holds.  Some of us on s/a are not doing any more drops till after Christmas - perhaps with a family that might appeal to you too? 

Wishing you windows,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alua,

Don't envy you with the 40+ heat.  We've had some stinkers down here (NSW) lately.  Ugh!  I hope you get a really clear window over Christmas time so you can join in with your kids.

Seems like you are going well with your taper.  Are you still splitting your doses throughout the day?  I'm taking compounded capsules (+ 50mg tablet) too and have been taking all in the morning.  Starting to think I need to spread out the capsules.

KarenB - love it!!!  You are getting your mind back :D

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks Karenb. Like that bit about getting my mind back. I feel almost normal today. No more drops for me this year, will be waiting until I get back from my holiday in the new year.

<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg 4 weeks. Jumped at 8mg currently 16 months free

Chessiecat, I take it all in the morning. Insomnia was made worse when I took it in the afternoon. I've been doing that since I got the compounded capsules so probably close on six months now. I suspect that it's not lasting a full day though I generally have a window most evenings. The night time and mornings up to lunch time are the worst. I wouldn't know when to split mine!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alua.  It's been suggested that I stick to taking mine all together in the morning, which is what I had been doing.  That's what I'll be doing too. CC 

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been tapering for five months now. Reduced to 17.5 five weeks ago. I'm suddenly having some really awful symptoms:

Anxiety, restlessness, depression. So I have this morning gone back to 20mg which was my previous dose. Is that the right thing to do? Darn it. I've only had three bad days since tapering and two of them have been in the past five days. In between I've had great days. Thanks all x

Hi Alua--   "I've only had three bad days since tapering and two of them have been in the past five days. In between I've had great days." 

We don't usually recommend updosing at the first sign of trouble, but after reading your signature I think it is a good idea.  Your four previous drops were well in excess of 10%, so you're probably feeling the effects of those catching up with you.  The updose will help mitigate the damage a bit but things will be rougher than you're use to for a while.  I would hold on this dose until things have had a chance to stabilize, probably until the end of January.  Then you can start your taper again, but please pay attention to the amounts, as it's not worth rushing things.  Don't panic if the updose doesn't fix things right away, any dose change up or down takes a minimum of four days to become steady state in the blood and then the body has to adjust to it.  So it may take a week or so to kick in.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brassmonkey. I'm not the most patient person as you may have realised! I'm also going through menopause so this latest glitch could be hormonal in basis, as I had an enexpected bleed the day this started. Sorry to be graphic! In future when I hit a rough patch how long should I hold on before up dosing?

And is it really wise as you say to updose at the first sign of trouble? Should I ride it out a bit longer?

No one is going to get through WD without feeling some symptoms. Some of us get lucky and have minimal ones while others are, well.....

Because the nature of WD is so unpredictable it isn't a good idea to updose with out good reason.  That reason is usually because the symptoms are so unbearable you can't take it any more.  Every time a person changes dose, up or down, it takes at least four days for the level of drug in the blood to become steady state and particular with an updose a few more days for it to start showing effects, and then it can take several months to stabilize.  Although it seems like there is a lot of talk about it here, updosing is frequently a rather drastic, last ditch effort to regain control.  If it is at all possible to ride it out, that is the best option.

I am concerned about the big drops you have been doing the last several times.  Symptoms have a bad habit of waiting several weeks to several months to show their ugly heads.  So it is possible that what you're feeling now is the result of the first big drop you made and that will be compounded by the ensuing large drops.  Considering that 20mg is the last dose where you felt good and isn't too much of a backtrack is why I recommended that you go there and stay for a long time before tapering again.  I am thinking it would be better to regain control before the symptoms get out of hand, but it depends on how uncomfortable you are as to whether you want to try.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Probably important to remember that alcohol complicates healing . . . you might want to take it easy on the

Chrissy drinks.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks all. I actually have not had any alcohol for a month so maybe that's the problem lol. I have spoken to endocrinologist and we are going to try adjusting my hrt as well. I' was great yesterday and today. I will stick to twenty until end of January and then get exact doses compounded based on ten percent. Unfortunately my withdrawal is compounded by menopause which I itself is like a drug withdrawal with many of the same symptoms in fact. It seems some woman's brains for reasons unknown perhaps genetics do not tolerate fluctuations of Estrogen well.

• 3 weeks later...

Will be coming up three weeks since I adjusted dose to 20mg. Have not updated signature as I'm away and accessing on my phone with no option to adjust signature. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for having a couple of bad days and as a result increasing my dose. What's done is done. In the last three weeks symptoms remain the same, mostly okay days and one bad day. Problem is that these drugs never made me feel good and I've never been stable at any dose, they just make me feel weird! So waiting until I stabilise before adjusting would mean waiting forever. In my six months of tapering I've been fully functional and in many ways feel better. So I shall stay at my current dose for another few weeks before making a ten percent reduction. A friend also on pristiq visited doc for a new script. She talked about the difficulty of gettin off and he said to change to 50mg of Zoloft as that was easier to get off. He basically suggested she ct off the pristiq. I directed her to this site!

Hi Alua--  I'm so glad things are settling down a bit.  Reaching stability is not the absence of symptoms or feeling good, it's having the symptoms settle into a steady state I usually refer to as WDnormal.  A baseline so to speak.  It sounds like you've reached that point.  Waiting a few more weeks would be a good idea and then start your taper.  Might I suggest that instead of taking the 10% cut all at one time that you do a series of smaller cuts that add up to the 10% and then hold for several weeks while it all settles out.  This allows the symptoms to be smaller and spread out a little instead of hitting all at once. Myself and several others have found it very effective.  If you're interested let me know and I'll help with the details.

I will do the ten percent as I have had it compounded that way. Pristiq as you probably know is difficult to taper. Your wd normal explanation makes perfect sense and I will wd normal 90 percent of the time since beginning my taper. Then every now and then I get a fluctuation, usually bad but sometimes good. I figure this is windows and waves. I had those two bad days and I panicked a little if I am honest. As I said I should have ridden in out as the very next day I was great. I appreciate your advice very much thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alua,

I'm really pleased that you mentioned SA to your friend and I hope she took your advice (if she hasn't been here, let her know that Zolfot is an SSRI and Pristiq is an SNRI.  In my opinion I think all of the AD drugs are hard to get off).

I am also on Pristiq and have just started my first knowledgeable taper.  The thing that I have found is that when the bad stuff hits it seems to last for ages, even though it is only for a short time.  It reminds me of how long it feels for kids until Christmas or birthdays arrive but how quickly the school holidays go (for them, not the parent/s ;)).  Time is relative.  Hours can feel like weeks or months or years can feel like a couple of months.  It truly is strange.

Good luck.  CC

Just had appointment with psychiatrist who is overseeing my taper. We have decided to drop by smaller amounts namely 1mg and hold at this for approximately 3 weeks. She suggested this might be less painful and due to having the pristiq compounded also less expensive. Win win I hope. She also confirmed that the hrt I am taking has no interaction with my current ad so that's good as I'm loathe to wean off that presently. Symptoms continue in windows and waves, grand one minute and in a bit of desperation at times also. On the whole I'm in pretty good spirits and looking forward to continuing my taper. I am also doing my best to eliminate sugar and processed foods from my diet. So no more alcohol for me. I've even started drinking decaf green tea, got rid of the decaf coffee and artificial sweeteners. If nothing else I might lose some of the 15kg I have gained in the last year of being on these drugs. Interesting that the psychiatrist said that you will have flashbacks in wd, much like people who have acid flashbacks. Sadly I could identify with what she was saying, not that I've had acid flashbacks but I'm having ad flashbacks for sure. It's truly is inexplicable that these drugs continue to be prescribed at an alarming rate. I can't wait for 'sh*t to hit the fan' about the damaging effects of these drugs and the sooner the better. About time people stopped covering their backsides.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alua,

I've been having flashbacks lately.  Most have been just regular memories popping up, but some of them have surprised me and they seem so clear.  Fortunately I am aware that these are flashbacks and any bad ones I just deal with CBT and say no, I've dealt with that (because I know I have), I'm not going back there.  CC

I'm much less polite with mine chessiecat, there might be the odd expletive thrown in for good measure when I respond to mine!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alua , that's a wonderful idea to go down by 1mg every 3 weeks. I know you don't have patience for fiddling with the capsules to adjust dosage , and it will be heaps softer on your system.

I wouldn't be at all upset at myself about updosing. You panicked. And you had a stressful month ahead.

Just remember , when things are "grand" , that's a symptom too , it's the upswing of the downswings.

I reckon you'll be calmer and need less expletives in general as things continue to settle.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Well it's been an up an down week. Some lovely windows and some painful waves. Anxiety, racing and intrusive thoughts. Much better at handling them these days. Bizarre how I did not connect these intrusive thoughts with commencement of ads and I consider myself reasonably intelligent lol! A couple of things I have noticed even though I'm still feeling icky is I seem to have recovered a little of my personal pride. On higher doses I would go days without showering and wear my gym clothes all day. I've been showering daily and actually doing my hair and makeup. My house is a lot tidier too. Pre drugs I wouldn't even have a friend over unless the house was immaculate. On full dose of pristiq I could barely do the dishes at night or be bothered cooking a meal. These are differences I have to think about but I do consider it healing on some level. I have also been a lot more sensitive to smells lately. The drugs dulled my senses so much I couldn't really smell things properly, like my husbands aftershave or the lovely smell of my kids hair after it had been washed. I am smelling things again and sometimes it makes me a bit nauseous. I've been eating super healthy for a week too and have noticed this awful chemical taste in my mouth the past few days. It's almost like I can taste the medication. As an aside I met two other people today on the same drug as me. Sadly one lovely young girl was only 18. 50mg wasn't making her feel better so the doctor put her on 100 of pristiq. Same story with the other lady and same doctor. Plus I had lunch with some ladies one of whom has put her daughter on risperidone for bad behaviour in a nutshell. I heard her telling a friend it seems to be working and claimed that her daughter said the medicine makes her happy. You can see the picture I am painting here and it's not a pretty one. I warn people everyday of the pitfalls of these drugs it's just a shame these incompetent gps are not doing the same.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alua,

It's great to hear some positive stuff.  Also gives me encouragement.  I've noticed in the last few days that I'm thinking about what I could be doing around the house.  Doesn't seme like a bit difference, but before I just couldn't even think it.  Trouble at the moment is that I don't yet have the energy or physical ability to do it.

All I think we can do for people who are on ADs is mention this website and let them know that the drugs needed to be tapered because they change our brains and hope that they will go aha later on if it hits the fan.

CC

CC, i am the opposite pristiq makes me super hyper, I barely ever feel tired. It's like I'm permanently on speed. Some days I feel like doing star jumps on the spot to let a bit of energy off. Or maybe a treadmill in the lounge. I would be like a lab rat running on it constantly, oh hang on I am a lab rat of sorts. I'm writing an anonymous letter to the doctor in question, going to pop it under the surgery door. I'm going to suggest she read about the terrible side effects and difficulty of getting off pristiq before she continues to prescribe it. I might also suggest to her if it's not working at the therapeutic dose of 50mg she consider an alternative before doubling the dose. I will direct her to sa to read for herself. It might just make her consider what prescribing these drugs to people who don't need them is doing. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Glad you are feeling a little change with regards to housework. It's not really an area I find a great deal of pleasure from anyway but I hated it when I was living in a brothel. At least it's a little more sanitary these days. Xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Am on my mobile phone so will update signature later. Dropped to 19mg five days ago. Have had no new symptoms for past six weeks or so. I've had a few days of feeling sad and teary for no apparent reason but on those few days I force myself to go out and live my normal life. It's as if my brain is telling me I'm sad but in my mind I'm thinking that's rubbish I'm perfectly fine. Strangely on the weepy days I have had no intrusive thoughts. It's all so bizarre. I still find myself on occasion laughing at the ridiculous intrusive thoughts which are not indicative of the way I really feel. They very seldom upset me anymore. Sleep has been glorious just lately sleeping a consistent 7 to 8 hours and even managed to sleep in until 6 am this morning. I have patches of feeling normal. It's been an emotional week with my five year old starting school. There has been tears from both of us. It's nice to be able to cry again and occasionally feel in my heart. The drugs numb all my emotions to the point where I feel almost nothing, very cruel. But it has improved. The mental confusion has also improved slightly. My memory is better but I do have lapses at times. The inner restlessness and agitation is also less I find myself almost relaxing at times. Still a long way to go and whilst all the symptoms give me the s$&@s I am living my life and a full one at that. I even joined a netball team and we had our first game last night. I continue to go to the gym and limit alcohol. Nutrition is my downfall, I've fallen off the wagon in that regard!

• 2 months later...

Currently sitting at 16 mg and will drop to 15mg in a week. On the advice of Dr Lucire I have been dropping 1 mg every three weeks. All my symptoms are still there but have improved greatly. I'm far from 100 percent but have moments of feeling normal and when the symptoms do appear their intensity is somewhat diminished. Still having intrusive thoughts but less than previously. Sleep can be problematic at times but it seems to always be changing. Some days are very hard but I'm pretty happy with progress so far. Lots of niggly symptoms, some darn right awful, but annoying rather than debilitating. I plan to keep on the schedule of 1 mg reduction every three weeks until I reach 10 mg and then I will taper by .5 mg every three weeks. Obviously if symptoms flare I will hold longer. The last three months I have felt better than I have in the last 2.5 years since starting the poison.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a great update Alua, you sound pretty pleased with how things are progressing for you.  Glad you are watching to see if you need a longer hold at some point, as it usually turns out to be a good idea.  I noticed in your previous post you ended by saying you weren't doing so well with nutrition - how's that been going since then?

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Hey Karenb. Ah diet a little hit and miss. I have two little kids, work and have a husband who works away 7 days at a time so life is very full on but that's no excuse I'm just plain lazy sometimes. I have my mother in law here for 3 months too, going to be interesting when I do my drop in a week's time. It's going to be a fantastic exercise in self control lol. Just checked in on your thread looks like you too are doing okay. To say I was pleased with how things are going could conjure up something nice about this experience...it's been the hardest thing I've ever done and some days are a true struggle BUT I have never been so certain of anything in my life apart from I must get off the drugs. That's my focus, that's what I'm doing! I said to my mum you might have to straight jacket me when I get off but you will not be taking me to hospital, any other doctor or popping any meds in my gob. Whatever pain I'm going through will be forgotten one day and whatever he'll I go through on this journey I'm going to have to deal with it even though it will no doubt take me to the edge of insanity....hang on I'm already there.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, surely the diets of mothers with young kids must be some of the worst around :P

Hanging out on the edge of insanity makes like pretty interesting, I have to say.  I tend to wobble around near it occasionally myself.  At least you have the strength of your convictions about why you are dong this.

Let us know how that next drop goes,

Karen

8 month hold.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Alua, I see you are still on site - 

how is the taper going? 

It was sounding in April like you were moving "out of the weeds," and coming into yourself again.

How are you feeling now?

JC <---another Queenslander, but um, less remote than you!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi jc

We'll let's just say I'm okay. I'm currently at 12mg of pristiq. Been a bit of a wobbly week so I'm holding here for a few more weeks. Still continue to function and live life to the fullest, even with all these crazy arse symptoms hanging around me like a bad smell. I had one night this week I did not sleep a wink wired to the hilt then the next night slept 9 hours. It sure is a wicked Rollercoaster. I have all the normal symptoms going on (brain zaps - had those since I started meds!by far my worst symptoms is just this weird feeling or dread. It's with me most of the time. Oh and lately I've had a weird jaw like it doesn't align right. I know it's the nasty poisons responsible. I must update my signature though whwn I get near a pc. I now realise that before I went on ad I was on a benzo for sleep for 4 months. Whilst on it life unravelled. Had no idea I was addicted and after 4 months of daily use I was cut off and two weeks later descended into hell...it all makes perfect sense now. I thought I was losing my mind nobody mentioned it could be wd. I now have zero faith in the medical profession. Just glad I've realised reasonably quickly what the drugs were up to. Peace to you all and keep fighting the fight x

• 4 weeks later...

Time for and update since I am on my pc and have therefore been able to update my signature. Just got off phone to Yolanda Lucire who writes me scripts to have the pristiq compounded with the slow release. If you are in Australia you would be hard pressed to find anybody as empathetic and knowledgeable as Yola.

I am currently on 11mg and will soon move to 10mg. I plan to still move down 1mg at a time until I reach 5 mg then I plan on going down .5mg at a time. This plan is of course subject to change! So life is pretty good for me if you take out the awful side effects/withdrawal from these drugs.

What has improved since being in the lower doses is the DP, feelings of internal rage from time to time, depression, feeling like I could cry all day, sleep. I would have to say i'm still having all withdrawal symptoms mentioned on here but they have all reduced. Bain zaps that ive had since I started on the pristiq seem to ramp up at certain times. they have also changed a little from tiny pops to sometimes feel like there is a creaky noise in my head. its not painful and only seems to be associated with movement of my head. I've managed to cry a few times but still feel very flat emotionally. the severe annoyed feeling, well I can't remember the last time I had that. Intrusive thoughts come and go but they are more in the background.  I feel more like myself but still far from normal. not sure that I will ever feel normal again.

I started a part time job about 5 months ago, still playing netball once a week and try to get to the gym 5 days a week in between looking after my 3 year old and 5 year old so life is pretty full on. i'm going through hell don't get me wrong, but I make myself forge ahead with life even when i'm having freaking panic attacks or a barrage of horrible images in my head. i'd be lying if I didn't admit to being scared about how bad my withdrawal will be off the drugs. mostly because I have to be able to look after my two little ones. I do have lots of support although I think my mother believes the pills cannot be responsible for all my horror symptoms. she has had two friends who have come off ads with no problems. so she thinks I should be the same.

I have had two people I know recently come off 100mg of pristiq cold turkey and a year on they are both doing fine. another three ladies from my gym have come off Zoloft and are also doing fine. they had horror symptoms for about six weeks and then are fine. one of them was on Zoloft for 15 years and she has now been off a year. she has lost 30kgs and goes to the gym every day and doing well. she has insomnia from time to time and crippling depression but she will never take the ad again, she said it did nothing for her depression.

another friend is coming off Effexor after having his dose increased and freaking out well and truly. I got he and his wife to listen to me, that it was the drugs making him depressed and suicidal and that it was not him. he is weaning off now and doing ok. I also wanted to add that there is a lady I talk to from time to time who was on pristiq for two years and has been off for two years, she is doing very well. probably enjoying her lift too much to pop in and post her success story. her friend was also on pristiq and managed to get off with some pretty horrific side effects but she is also doing well two years on. there are lots of people who succeed who don't come back to write about it.

its a hard slog but i'm doing ok. i'm still here and that's a bonus. love and healing to you all xxxx

Edited by scallywag
add paragraph breaks

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Alua - 

You are an inspiration!

Nice and steady, nice and slow - it's amazing that you are keeping up with 2 kids, a job, netball and 5 days at the gym, too!

It sounds like you are surrounded by people on drugs.  I know the feeling, the culture is so careless.  The culture of docs, the dominant, "take your tablets, the doc gave them to you" mentality. And "The doc said I could come off CT" etc....

When I am confronted with friends on the drugs, I try to act sympathetic.  I say something about, well, they're not really tested in the long run, so I'm glad it's helping you now, but please consider keeping it under 6 months usage.  This gets reasonable response, and I have many friends who hear me on this.

There are others, though, on long term maintenance (what can you do?) and I tell them to stay on it, but when they are ready to get off I have resources.  They look at me like I'm half mad.  Medication spellbinding - emphasized by the culture of "stay on your meds, you need them."

I made a huge mistake in the Post Office one day.  The man behind the counter - we are both Start Trek and Star Wars nerds, and he was mourning a mate of his, who committed suicide.  I said, OUT LOUD, in the Post Office - well he probably killed himself because of the antidepressants!  The whole room got very still, and I realized I'd done a blunder (I'm a Yank, so my voice carries way too far for Australian comfort!).  The Postie emphasized to me how his mate was an ambassador for Beyond Blue, and nobody saw it coming, etc. etc., I did say that Beyond Blue does encourage drug use, and that the side effects of the drugs are worse than the disease - but by then, I was in a deep, tar filled pit and could not talk my way out of it!

As for your friends who come off no problems, no worries - 

well - you've seen your own journey - it started with a little benzo.  Are you from Emerald?  I can imagine moving to Emerald from the coast could be quite traumatic, and it would be easy to ask for that little benzo....

But your friends - don't see the big picture.

They will come off, and be fine.  MAYBE they will never return, but there is more than a 50% chance that in about a year's time (maybe up to 2 years), they will have a stressor, and the AD has sensitized them to stress, and they will go back on the drugs.  It's a chronic "revolving door" situation.

so - ONYA for how far you have come!  

Now you are at the pointy end of the journey.  It becomes so much more important now to listen carefully to your body, to go slowly.  We want you to WIN, we want you to succeed and spit on that Doctor's diagnosis and prescription pad, and never return!

My hubby, too, is under orders to never let a psych drug pass my lips.  The problem is - so many drugs are psych drugs in disguise.  Like the anti-emetics they give you after surgery.  Or Tramadol for pain.  Or - other drugs that act like psych drugs like statins (depressing) and PPI's and BP drugs!  Hubby knows I don't want "psych drugs," but in the face of doctors, he may not have the knowledge to keep me off of them.  I may just have to tell him:  NO DRUGS AT ALL. 

Thanks so much for the update, I'm sorry that it's not a walk in the park - but it's incredible, really, how well you are doing.  

I'd tell you "I hope you see the Sun today" but where you are, if you spend any time outside - you did.  So - I hope the sun gave you pleasure today!   ;)

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Alua - PS - When you get to a PC, can you please put dates in your signature, since 2 weeks, 3 weeks, current - aren't very meaningful from here.  You might have been on the current dose for a day - or 6 months.  Please put some dates in - they don't have to be exact, just close.  This makes it easier for mods, and better for your own records, too.

Hey jc

I will attempt to put dates in on pc but to be frank i try not to obsess over it all too much. I keep my cuts usually to 2 week, 4 week intervals as i find it easier to remember if i start them on a monday.

Oh you know emerald. Yeap its a toadty 30 degrees today. Im sitting here sweating up a storm, is it wd, menopause or todays humidity....take your pick lol.

I am currently at 9mg of pristiq. Had a crappy couple of weeks of feeling sad, i rephrase that i was not sad but my brain was. It sounds sick but a small part of my was happy to be having some emotion. It seems to have passed anyway...but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Interestingly i tried fish oil for a bout a week during which time i developed this weird tightness and tingling around my mouth. I thought it was wd as there is no end to the weird sensations .... oh and insomnia was way worse. Stipped the fish oil and it went away i must have been allergic.

I had some routin bloods done a week ago and get those back tomorrow. B12 corrisol etc. That will be interesting. Then i see the naturopath next week. I will work on adjusting my diet if anything odd crops up. And if it does i know the poison pristiq caused it.

Oh and ive started losing weight at long last. 5kg so far. I gained 10 on the meds.

I was on ads 8 months before i started weaning so i think ive been weaning about 16 months now.

I said to my mum again the other day it could get ugly whwn i get off. I said put i will never take another psych pill or see another shrink....so if i get bad you put me in a locked room or whatever it takes.

My two friends who did the ct from 100mg of pristiq i talked to last week. I would bet my life on one never going back on them. The other one has been on and off a couple of times so who knows.

Hope this all makes sense im doing it in between demands from hot and sweaty kids.im sure somebody will edit me if its absolute diatribe.

I did a couple of smaller drops recently of 5 percent and i didnt notice any difference in fact i felt worse on those small drops could have been the cumulative effect.

All symptoms continue to improve if im honest. I have flashes of nastiness but i always know they will pass. The big one lately has been the dp and dr. Its really decreased. I very rarely have songs looping in my head anymore. Oh and ive been getting some libido back.sleep is still hit and miss but ive not had a night of zero sleep yet and many nights i get between 5 and 8. Intrusive suicidal nasty crazy thoughts much less too.

Im more determined than ever. I have no choice these drugs are killing my soul. I want to see my kids grow up and feel the joy...i must.

Xxxx

Oh and jc good on you for the post office comments probably true. I spout off about the nastiness of them all the time. At some point i will be getting an antidepressants kill t shirt.

And yes so many people i know or have chatted to on drugs. One close friend on lexapro 5 years, as is her partner ten years on celexa. Her daughter is on straterra and clonidine for the side effects she is ten. At least half the ladies at the gym have been on them one of my friends on zoloft 15 years she came off over a year ago in 1 month and boy is her life so much better. She may have suffered terribly but she is the kind of girl that just gets on with it. Both my aunties or on ads and their husbands....the list goes on and on and on....bkoody disgraceful.